• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello! Excited and slightly terrified newbie

Neen77

Hello! I'm new around these parts! I'm at the very beginning of my 'journey' and I'm so glad I've found this forum.

I've been big all my life and now at 37 its time to explore the surgical option to hopefully control my weight. I've had times where I've lost quite a bit but I can't maintain it. I did see a consultant about WLS a few years ago but it never really went anywhere. I think at the time I thought I would eventually lose weight and keep it off. But I haven't!

I've only really considered the possibility of having surgery since I spoke to my very supportive GP in September. I feel it's all happened rather quick since then. I spoke to her about it on the 10th September and she referred me, I saw a consultant on the 10th October and I've got a 4 hour session thing on the 10th November. I'm still trying to get my head around it!

I've got so much research to do and I've got so many questions! I'm not sure what type of surgery I'll have but I'm leaning more towards a bypass. I'm excited about the future and the thoughts of having a new, healthier life! But I'm also a little scared of having an operation and all the post-op concerns. I guess that's normal?!

Right, I'm off to read a few threads and start making some notes!
:)

Hi and welcome :)

Hello neen 77

Welcome.

May I ask where you have been referred to for the WLS?

Mine was very quick as well and in the space of 3 months I went from first GP discussion to OP.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. :)

Welcome.

May I ask where you have been referred to for the WLS?

Mine was very quick as well and in the space of 3 months I went from first GP discussion to OP.

I'm in Shropshire. Wow that is fast! Were you happy it was quick? I feel things so far have been too quick for me, it's all so new and my head hasn't quite adjusted!

It was very dauntful, and at first I felt I did not have enough time to get my head around it all, but once I was on the 4 week LSD, I then had the time to actually get my head around it. I originally had thought it would take six to twelve months, so it was a shock when they phoned me and said you have been approved and need to start your LSD next week.

Now 2 weeks post-op I am still trying to get my head around it, but I KNOW I have done the right thing.

It was very dauntful, and at first I felt I did not have enough time to get my head around it all, but once I was on the 4 week LSD, I then had the time to actually get my head around it. I originally had thought it would take six to twelve months, so it was a shock when they phoned me and said you have been approved and need to start your LSD next week.

Now 2 weeks post-op I am still trying to get my head around it, but I KNOW I have done the right thing.

Gosh that is all very quick. I suppose the quicker you have it done, the quicker a new healthier life comes. As much as I want it doing I don't want it really to happen that quick for me, but I'm not sure what the waiting list is like anyway.
I'm glad that in your mind you know you've done the right thing. And I just want to hear positive things so thank you :)

Gosh that is all very quick. I suppose the quicker you have it done, the quicker a new healthier life comes. As much as I want it doing I don't want it really to happen that quick for me, but I'm not sure what the waiting list is like anyway. I'm glad that in your mind you know you've done the right thing. And I just want to hear positive things so thank you :)

Hi Neen77

I was referred in April 2012 and my op is booked for 12th November! Have had to jump through a lot of hoops but equally I've had a full MOT and psychological support so feel that I'm as prepared as I could possibly be. Reading the threads here has also helped. Good luck!

Welcome Neen. Good luck with everything.

Hi Neen77

I was referred in April 2012 and my op is booked for 12th November! Have had to jump through a lot of hoops but equally I've had a full MOT and psychological support so feel that I'm as prepared as I could possibly be. Reading the threads here has also helped. Good luck!

Gosh it's been ages since I logged on. Hope everything went well for you. You sound like you were prepared, that's brilliant.

Welcome Neen. Good luck with everything.

Thank you :)

Hi I am aslo a newbie and I am excited and very terrified.
Welcome hope it all goes well for you. I am being sleeeved on 11th of Feb in Leeds.

Gosh it's been ages since I logged on. Hope everything went well for you. You sound like you were prepared, that's brilliant.

Thank you :)
Hello Neen77, I'm from Telford and was just wondering how the process of this journey has been for you so far. Would love to get some info from someone in my area.

Hi I am aslo a newbie and I am excited and very terrified.
Welcome hope it all goes well for you. I am being sleeeved on 11th of Feb in Leeds.

Hi EPJ. Oh wow, not long to go for you. Very exciting / terrifying!! All the very best to you. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Hello Neen77, I'm from Telford and was just wondering how the process of this journey has been for you so far. Would love to get some info from someone in my area.

Hello menasher. I'm quite early on I think but it's seems to have gone quite fast since I was referred in September. I saw a consultant in October and then had the group seminar in November. That was a lot to take in but a really helpful session with masses of info given to us.

How far along are you? Have you thought which op you'll have?

I've got an appointment with the dietician and the consultant next week and I can't wait to see what the next stage is. :)

Back