• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello there

john tandy

Hi everyone just a heads up an hope you all good an well before an after you ops can I ask a question at all ? How many of you think the gastric sleeve is a good thing ?

Hi John,
My Mum had a gastric sleeve and she lost 9 stone in 4 years so it's a good thing. But it's like any weight loss surgery, it can be open to abuse if you don't follow the rules and since it's harder to eat as much bad stuff with a bypass (which I opted for) IMHO you have to be extra good if you have the sleeve :)

Thanks but I thought the bypass but I didn't like the ideas of dumping an I am a insulin dependant diabetic as well That was also a thought

Thanks but I thought the bypass but I didn't like the ideas of dumping an I am a insulin dependant diabetic as well That was also a thought
You must do what you feel is right for yourself. My Mum also has diabetes so I think that's why she went for the sleeve too. It's a lot better after her op :)

I had my sleeve on 4th jan this year and think it's the best thing I have ever done :) their have been some great sleeve success on this site with us sleevers loosing the same as bypasses. I'm sure their will be a few more of us around soon to tell you how fab a sleeve is :) x

suzie290304 said:
I had my sleeve on 4th jan this year and think it's the best thing I have ever done :) their have been some great sleeve success on this site with us sleevers loosing the same as bypasses. I'm sure their will be a few more of us around soon to tell you how fab a sleeve is :) x

Thanks all this is making me defo think sleeve is way for me as it has nothing but positive comments for it

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Research them all is my best advice. We will all advocate the surgery we've had, afterall why wouldn't we, if it's working/worked...but what is right for you is what's important. Good luck :)

I have all methods but the sleeve has be the one weight loss an n dreaded dumping

Some sleevers do dump. I have to say dumping is easily avoidable for most bypassers if they follow the rules. I can't really understand not wanting to follow the rules regardless of which surgery you have.

Yep I can not manage chocolate and every time I eat it I feel sick for around 30mins, not a nice feeling but suppose I'm lucky lol. This was one of the reasons I wanted a sleeve (no dumping) but think we all have are foods that we can't tolerate. Their is a great thread the best and worst bits of a gastric sleeve which gives a great incite of the sleeve straight post op and long term post op. Hopefully some one will be able to put the tread up for you, I can't cause I'm on me phone :) x

Hi. Just had the bypass literally 72 hours ago. They have already cut my insulin to a few units with an aim to get me off it in six months. As a type two diabetic I was heavily dependent on insulin and other diabetic meds. This helped to make my decision for the bypass. Yes the possibility of dumping is there but avoidable if you stay away from the things you shouldn't be eating in the first place or else there is not much point in having the surgery. But im sure you will learn what your body can handle and what it cant. However the decision will always be with you and what you believe Is best for you and your needs. Good luck in whatever you decide. Xx

I'm almost 12 weeks post bypass now, had metformin and glimepiride prior to op, not taken anything since and docs think I will no longer be classed as having diabetes in next few months as hba1c tests are coming back as normal not had any dumping but I'm sticking to the rules I know people who have done brilliantly with the sleeve also however bypass was recommended to me by my surgeon due to me having a sweet tooth and problems stem from comfort eating sweet stuff. xx

Hi
I have also had the sleeve and you can see from my stats ive nearly lost 7 stone. It really does reduce your appetite greatly and the only reason i picked the sleeve is because i did not want my pyloric valve bypassed, its just my personal choice.
Am i right in thinking your type 1, i dont think any operation will cure type 1 but you really dont want to dump. Less likely to not dump with a sleeve or band.
I dont dump although anything greasy makes me feel quite sick, not a bad thing though me thinks.

Kim

Kim

I was open to all but in the end I went with the surgeons recommendation. I'm an emotional eater and am having the bypass I'm hoping the fear of dumping will keep me on the straight and narrow. Mars bars are no longer my best friend lol. That's how ended up with type 2 diabetes!!!

I am diabetic, because of this I was told Bypass offered the fastest resolution to diabetes. I went in wanting the sleeve. I have no regrets and have lost 9 and a half st in less than 8 months. My Hba1c is around 5.5 on one metformin a day. Some sleevers dump. A lot of bypassers do not dump! I rarely dump and I eat what I want, just in very small portions. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back