• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello

emmajane1981

just wanted to say hello And introduce myself! I'm 29 years old and paid private for a band with the hospital group and had it done in November last year. To cut a long story short, I have had loads of problems and have been referred to nhs and I'm seeing consultant at Sunderland tomorrow! I'm wondering what's going to happen? Whether I would be a candidate for sleeve or if will try with band fills again! Anyway I'll keep yous posted!

Emma x

Welcome n good luck for 2moz Hun ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks, I really don't know what to expect! A part of me wants the band to work, but another part of me is thinking I might want consultant to suggest sleeve! ( want it more now, one of my patients has just called me a big girl, and told me i am the right shape to have children easy! Thanks very much) Anyway will know more tomorrow!

hey Emma :) welcome to the site and good luck xxx

Hi Emma, :welcome2: and good luck tomorrow, the docs at Sunderland are lovely :flirt2: x x

just wondering how you got on emma x

Hi Emma, and welcome to the forum. I hope your appointment with the consultant went well today. xxx

basketcase said:
Good luck tomorrow. What sort of problems have you been,having? I'm a fellow bandster but am not very happy with it x

Hiya, I've been having loads of problems with it, no happy with after care from the hospital group, I felt like I had either no restriction or over restricted, had to have 2 emergency defills! It's all been a bight mare really, what problems have you been having then?

Well my appointment went well, despite the tears from me! Saw a german consultant at Sunderland who said that they would investigate why I'm having problems with the band, said they would do x ray to make sure the band had not slipped (he said this was very unlikely as I'm not having any pain, and the band is totally deflated). He sad that it may also have pouched but that's what the x ray would show.

He said that I would more than likely have to get it removed as they would be apprehensive to use the band and continue my care when I went private to get the band done! he said that I would probably end up having a sleeve or bypass. But it could take 2 1/2 to 3 years ( hense the tears).

He advised me to still go to the seminar which I did! Found this very helpful and would advise anyone to go!

I was worried because the NICE guidelines say that you must have a BMI of 40 or over if you have no other co morbidities and mine is 39, however, spoke to consultant and he said that this would not be the case for me as I had previously had surgery!

So now I'm just waiting for my x ray appointment and get the ball rolling!

Sorry for the long post

X

You saw Mr Schroeder..... he is very straight talking by all accounts, the waiting time for new referrals going to Sunderland seems to be anything from 1-3 years depending on complications, type of surgery, pre op investigations etc. Things are moving and changes will happen, it just may take a little longer than you first thought ;) x x x

Oh no that's no good at all. When we paid all that money for the band we thought it would last forever. What a horrible shock. I had my band fitted in Prague in 2007 but no aftercare included. Consequently had to pay £100 everytime I had a fill which I couldn't afford so never achieved proper restriction. The weight I lost was through sheer willpower because of all the money I'd spent having it done. I've recently started to put weight back on (3 stone) so returned for a fill after 2 years. The nurse presumed there was a leak in it because she couldn't withdraw any fluid, so put loads more fluid in. I was over-tightened so that I couldn't even swallow my own saliva but unable to withdraw the fluid. It turns out there was a kink in the band and I ended up in hospital on a drip. I had an operation to replace the port and some of the tubing. It had also begun to erode my stomach wall and the surgeon had difficulty releasing it. If I'd known that all these problems could happen I wouldn't have had it done.
Good luck with your forthcoming journey. I hope the wait is shorter than you anticipate x

I'm 5 weeks post op now and have lost some weight because of having to be on a luquid/mushy diet. Have got another 5 weeks till I see the consultant and then i'm going to start having fills done but am very wary about everything. The op I had to put things right was done on the nhs because it was an emergency situation. However if anything goes wrong with it in the future, I won't be able to afford to have it corrected.
I hope that your wait isn't too long. It seems so unfair. Keep us informed of how things progress x

I found out by the consultant at the hospital that he takes more bands out than he puts in! I didn't realise this many problems would cone with the band! If I had known I would have got a sleeve instead. Anyway nothing I can do now except wait! Well hopefully you Won't need too many fills to get restriction! Hope you dont have anymore problems x

Back