• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help!!! I fell sick all the time

Lily White

hi guys,

havent been on in a while feelin a bit sorry for myself. I cant seem to stick to the right types of food had my 2nd fill so ive a decent bit of restriction but i still try eat what i used to in more moderate portions and i keep ending up really sick or i can eat barely anything. I said it to the dietician some days i can eat one food other days i cant they reckon if im out with friends and i havent told most of them im stressin out and the band is tightening or something!!! anyway i have lost very little since the band except the pre and post op diet. Today i had mash patato carrots and a mushroom sauce and i still felt dodgy i really dont know where im going wrong. I want o be skinny but want a life as well plus i seem to be eating a lot less but not loosing bar a few pounds :cry:

Hi Lily

Sorry to hear your feeling so down. I am only 11 days post band. I have heard though (from Liz I think) that the band can tighten if you are anxious.

Can you get back in touch with your dietician and between you formulate a plan moving forwards.

Hope you feel better soon x

I know how you feel chuck, I haven't lost anything else. Am trying to arrange my second fill but am struggling like you with my food choices. Liz and caz helped me out a bit but it's hard. Try not to loose heart. It's changed my life more that I could have ever imagined but as yet I am not reaping the rewards but in time I am sure we will.xxx

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of the band at the moment.

What you have to remember is, somedays you can eat something and then for some odd reason another day you might not. The best thing to do is not to take it for granted...LOL.

What sort of things have you been eating and what sort of quantity? Do you make sure you have small bites and chew really well? I know they sound like dumb questions but sometimes even I forget I have a band.

I have had to wave goodbye to quite a few things that I used to eat, some I miss and others I don't as I am finding my tastebuds changing all the time.

Things I can no longer manage are:-

Bread unless it's toasted and even then I have only about 1-2 slices a week at most and not every week.

Rice, gets lodged in the hole...was able to eat this after second fill but not third.

Pasta...all kinds.

Beef, duck and some chicken. Can cope with thighs but not so well with breast meat.

Cake - any kind

Cheese that has not been melted.

But what I have discovered is I prefer fresh food, have gone off chocolate almost completely and learned that you have to be inventive and experiment.

This sounds like you have sort of hit a wall. I did that after second fill. Felt that weight was not shifting enough, when is your third fill booked?

I am sure you will get the hang of it all soon, it's a real learning curve this journey...I know I am still adapting and learning as I go.

But you are doing well, and you will do well.

Just learn to relax, try new foods and try not to dwell on the past.

The thing now is too look forward and develope new ways to cope, get out and excercise (that is a great drug all on its own), see yourself the way you want to be in a years time and do not worry if you have a few slip ups along the way.

This should be an exciting journey, not one full of worry and stress. If you need any help with anything, we are all here for you.

BIG HUGS to you :)

omg thought it was just me I have stayed same weight since op had one fil hopefully have another soon I have been feeling a bit down too lately as I seem to be able to eat most things difference with me is I don't get sick or feel sick only problem I have had lately is when food is going down I get an uncomfortable feeling as though it's having trouble going down (bit hard to explain really) but maybe just need to keep persevering perhaps we expect too much too soon? xXx

omg thought it was just me I have stayed same weight since op had one fil hopefully have another soon I have been feeling a bit down too lately as I seem to be able to eat most things difference with me is I don't get sick or feel sick only problem I have had lately is when food is going down I get an uncomfortable feeling as though it's having trouble going down (bit hard to explain really) but maybe just need to keep persevering perhaps we expect too much too soon? xXx

That feeling is restriction...that means the band is working. This is the feeling you must learn to listen to. Do not push to hard at the point where you feel this...stop the moment you feel full ;)

banding is a learning curve and it takes a while to get used to the band and the restriction levels and also how the pouch reacts to food regarding what mood your in and your feelings, its learning to eat a more dense food types and eat slower with plenty of chewing, its learning to listen to your pouch and learning to work with the signs to stop eating when the Feeling is there, as that 1 extra mouth full will make people vomit.

it is hard to get used to and as i said its a learning curve in a few aspects which can take alot of ajusting to, to be able to work with the band properly.

tanx guys dont know what id do without you lot, good news is im in better form today. Lost 2lbs not a lot but still!!! i think ye are all right i do sometimes take for granted what i can eat then the band reminds me and i sometimes force down more when i know i shouldnt especially when out for lunch and girls notice how little i have eaten. Baby steps seems the way. I know i should just stay in at lunch but im not ready to give that up yet. Today id baked patato with chilli and ate about half i was fine.

That feeling is restriction...that means the band is working. This is the feeling you must learn to listen to. Do not push to hard at the point where you feel this...stop the moment you feel full ;)
tanx caz i can always rely on u and Liz it means a lot
ps can really see the weight loss off your face in that pic u look great xxx

banding is a learning curve and it takes a while to get used to the band and the restriction levels and also how the pouch reacts to food regarding what mood your in and your feelings, its learning to eat a more dense food types and eat slower with plenty of chewing, its learning to listen to your pouch and learning to work with the signs to stop eating when the Feeling is there, as that 1 extra mouth full will make people vomit.

it is hard to get used to and as i said its a learning curve in a few aspects which can take alot of ajusting to, to be able to work with the band properly.

thanks Liz i know your right but its hard to change the habbits of a life time but no way i wentt hrough this for nothing so im gonna really try not keep eating when i know the band has had enough!!!

thank god!!!! its not just me i really felt like a useless fat failure and wen i know others are going through the same i dont feel as much to blame maybe its just part of the course. I suppose im a bit lazy and expected the band to do everything for me i hate that i have to work at it and not eat crap as it only makes me sick. Im slowly changing eating habbits and hopefully we'll both get there thanks for the support xxx

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of the band at the moment.

What you have to remember is, somedays you can eat something and then for some odd reason another day you might not. The best thing to do is not to take it for granted...LOL.

What sort of things have you been eating and what sort of quantity? Do you make sure you have small bites and chew really well? I know they sound like dumb questions but sometimes even I forget I have a band.

I have had to wave goodbye to quite a few things that I used to eat, some I miss and others I don't as I am finding my tastebuds changing all the time.

Things I can no longer manage are:-

Bread unless it's toasted and even then I have only about 1-2 slices a week at most and not every week.

Rice, gets lodged in the hole...was able to eat this after second fill but not third.

Pasta...all kinds.

Beef, duck and some chicken. Can cope with thighs but not so well with breast meat.

Cake - any kind

Cheese that has not been melted.

But what I have discovered is I prefer fresh food, have gone off chocolate almost completely and learned that you have to be inventive and experiment.

This sounds like you have sort of hit a wall. I did that after second fill. Felt that weight was not shifting enough, when is your third fill booked?

I am sure you will get the hang of it all soon, it's a real learning curve this journey...I know I am still adapting and learning as I go.

But you are doing well, and you will do well.

Just learn to relax, try new foods and try not to dwell on the past.

The thing now is too look forward and develope new ways to cope, get out and excercise (that is a great drug all on its own), see yourself the way you want to be in a years time and do not worry if you have a few slip ups along the way.

This should be an exciting journey, not one full of worry and stress. If you need any help with anything, we are all here for you.

BIG HUGS to you :)

Hey Caz,

I think you named every food i like lol. I know your right there are certain foods i should eat and as i get away with it one day i think i can do it all the time and i cant. Toast im the same once in a while i can handle it. Chicken very rarely mostly makes me feel sick and i love it. Havent tried other meats as im scared of being sick. Chocolate no problem and its my real vice i know i shouldnt but hey i didnt end up fat for no reason i have crappy will power. I love to eat out especially going for lunch with girls from work its a nice break from the office. I think i stress and they have commented on how little i eat of my dinner and i try stuff in more so i really am gonna try harder and stop bein so paranoid. Thanks a mil for all the advice xxx

Hi there Lily.

Sorry to hear things are going slow for you.

I was just wondering if you are checking the fat content of some of the things you are eating, you probably already know but most sauces have lots of calories in them and mushroom sauce is usually made with cream.

Also, as metioned on other threads, more protein, less carbs such as bread, pasta, potatoes.

It might also help if you reduce the amount of lunches with the girls you have, don't cut them out all together but as much as you enjoy them they are also causing you stress as none of your friends know you have had a band and you dont want to draw attention to yourself.

If they do comment on how little you are eating why not just tell them you are on a diet and you have to eat 6 small meals a day instead of the usual 3. That way you dont have to tell anyone about your band if you dont want anyone to know.

Good luck anyway :D

Back