• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help im worried!!!!!! ;-(

SarahAD

Hi all! My bypass is next Monday 6th and I'm really worried I haven't been doing the pre-op diet properly. The one I'm on allows you to have a piece of chicken or fish a day (grilled). I have been having the pre-packed smoked mackerel and pre-packed pieces of roast chicken you can get in Tesco's. I've taken the skin off the chicken but now I'm worried they are both too fatty and my liver won't have shrunk enough! I've lost a stone though in the last two weeks. Help please anyone!!!
Sarah x

Hi Sarah
I did high protein, low carb as you describe and I was fine for my op. The fact that you have lost a stone in weight before your op and during the pre op diet shows you have been doing fine. Try not to worry xx

wow hun you have lost a stone that is amazing... you have done nothing wrong hun...carry on as you are doing... and stop worrying xx it only takes 3 days to shrink our liver and the fact you have lost a stone proves you have definately done that... dont give up hun only 6 days to go xx

Gosh this worry about our livers not shrinking enough is really out there isn't it? I worried, loads of people worried. You've lost a STONE!! Wow. I only lost 7lbs pre op. You've done amazingly, don't worry another second, your liver will be perfect!

Thanks so much for the reassurance! It was because my friend put the fear of god into me saying how fattening the mackerel is and that the chicken was fatty because it had been roasted!! I'm very paranoid about everything at the moment, I don't even want to eat anything at the moment. Only 7 sleeps to go!!!
Xx

I've lost a stone though in the last two weeks.

This tends to suggest that your pre-op / liver shrinkage diet is working !!

Some people get by with only 3 - 7 days on the pre-op and get thru OK.

I think you would have to be doing EVERYTHING wrong -- gaining weight / eating LOTS of carbs and fat -- to end up in the "no" category -- where they open you up and decide the liver is too fat -- that is VERY VERY RARE.

It sounds like you are on course for a successful op, so please stop worrying. :)

the fat in mackerel is good fat :) i was told to eat that obviously not large amounts but i do have it at least once a week :) eat the chicken and without skin it is much less than with ,,i don't think you have anything to be worried about you've done really well :)

It's normal to worry your liver hasn't shrunk,I worried like hell.
The day of the op I'd lost over a stone and I was on a diet like yourself x

If you go back to yesterday, last week, last month and even last year you will find a thread like yours......we are all obsessed with our livers shrinking enough whilst on the pre op diet...its only natural if you really want to proceed along this path.

You weight loss implies that you have been following your chosen diet very well and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Keep going its not long now before the real adventure begins...GOOD LUCK :):)

Last edited:
I agree you have done an amazing job I was on my pre op diet like yours for 5 weeks and I admit I even cheated on xmas day and had 7 mince pies one with whipped cream and I still lost 15lbs on the diet. I am now down from 21st 10lbs to 19st 0.8 and I am only 3 weeks post opl

The liver shrinks when you have lowered your carb intake. No carbs in chicken and mackeral ;) xx Good luck xxx

One stone in two weeks sounds like a huge acheivement. well done just think how great you will do post surgery and congratulate yourself for such a positive start.

Hi hun - i too did high protein low carb diet. Only had 9 days on it too - lost 10lb and was fine x
your doing great and you liver will be shrinking nicely xx

Back