• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help - I've eaten Angel Delight

Perissa

I am two weeks post bypass and on my diet sheet it says that I can have:-
2 tbsp made up mousse powder (made with semi-skimmed milk)

So I've just had one large tbsp of Chocolate, No added Sugar, Angel Delight. Now I'm sat here terrified that I'm going to dump!!!

Sorry if this is a dense question but I want to clarify does that mean 2 tbsp of dry power made into mousse, or (as I think it means) 2 tablespoons in total of mousse?

Also which mousse powder you recommend as its not something I would normally have? Is it like Angel Delight? Do they even do a sugar free version of mousse powder?

I'm sure you should be ok with that it is no added sugar. i don't dump on things like that so hopefully you will be ok x

Hiya

Its the sugar rush that makes you dump . Sugar free stuff should be ok .

But you wont have to sit there and worry if your going to dump . if your going to dump it will take 1-2 mins to take effect . and its not nice but you wont die. When i feel like i need a suagr rush ill have something thaty i know ill dump on so im kinda used to it now. i just lay down and watch some quiet tv untill it goes.

Things that make me dump . too much chocolate / sweets . pastry . cake and protein milkshakes from the doctors or health shops And ice cream thats too creamy. and anything too fatty

I didn't dump, but then I didn't eat it all either - just in case. OK I admit it I am just a woosie pants.

It isn't sugar free, it says 'No Added Sugar'...

Sorry to sound realy think but what does dump mean

I haven't (touch wood!) dumped as yet but found this ...

:airquote:Dumping ...
Clinical description of dumping is an effective result of the gastric bypass system which alerts the body of inappropriate eating. Dumping syndrome is described as a shock-like state when small, easily absorbed food particles rapidly dump into the digestive system. This results in a very unpleasant feeling with symptoms such as a cold clammy sweat, pallor, butterflies in the stomach and a pounding pulse. These symptoms may be followed by cramps and diarrhea. This state can last for 30-60 minutes and is quite uncomfortable.

Actual experience: shortly after eating a food you don’t tolerate (sugar, milk, sugary milk products or starchy carbs) you begin to feel a bit disoriented, maybe dizzy and then an overall sense of confusion or panic takes. Then you begin sweating.
How to deal with it: It is best to lie down on your side and let it nature take its course. The body is efficiently, albeit painfully, correcting a chemical imbalance in the cell system. You know the event is passing when the sense of panic is replaced by exhaustion and cold chills instead of sweating. Then it's usual to suffer diarrhea at this point. Try to take a nap or go to bed after dumping. If it is in the evening sleep through the night - but you will wake feeling like you’ve been run over by a truck.
Cause of the dump: In most cases eating the inappropriate food for your gastric bypass system is the culprit. Through trial and error you can predict most things that make you dump ... then avoid them! However, the most efficient way to avoid dumping is to maintain the strict regiment practiced: eat protein first making sure it comprises one-half of every meal. Avoid snacking. Avoid all sources of simple sugar; Sip water throughout the day. When you practice this eating behavior your blood sugar will not fluctuate and you will not dump. Most patients, who crave a taste of something sweet, have learned they can tolerate a bite of fruit at the end of the meal. Proceed with caution and discover what works for you.
The first reaction when dumping begins is to try and make it stop. You cannot successfully halt a dumping episode.
It is important to note that the dumping experience is different for every person. Some will always have extreme dumps and others more mild episodes. Individuals will notice dumping episodes will vary by incident. No two people dump the same and no two dumps are alike.
Dumping is a bittersweet fact of life after weight loss surgery. Because we must fuel our bodies by eating we will experience dumping. However, every now and again we will be blindsided by a dump caused by a food never suspected. Keeping a list of poorly tolerated foods will help you avoid them. :airquote:

For those that DO dump ... is it like this?!?!

I have pre-diabetes which is just to say I am insulin resistant, the stage right before you need to artificially encourage insulin which is diabetes. Anyway, I have sugar highs and sugar lows (hypo-glycemia) which fits many of the criteria for dumping. Dizzy, hot/cold, sweating, fuzzy thinking, extreme fatigue and sometimes diarrhea & vomiting. But mostly a sinking feeling of unwellness and a need to nap. It really sucks but does go away pretty quickly but sometimes leaves a headache. No sugar added products cannot do this because they use artificial sweetners that have no impact on insulin which is the culprit behind dumping.

Back