• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help needed plz - UPDATE!

emmafifema

Hi there everyone,

I have posted this on another thread but have just realised its probably the wrong one lol.

So firstly appologies!.......

I posted on here last july and was about to go to my doctors to ask for a refferal. When I went to see him he said I had to do a course at our local leisure center to try to help me first so I waited for a date to start.
After receiving a date I attended the course, and although I found it really fun and informative I didnt lose any weight.

On going back to my gp for help he told me he wont reffer me for funding until I have been on a diet (with diet pills) through them for a year!!

Now, on looking at the pct I have found that West sussex use the NICE criterea and nothing else - so why wont he help.

I have done the diet pills before and they just made me feel ill. I have turned them down at the moment as I am having a lot of after effects from having my gallbladder removed some years ago and basically, I cant have any more toileting issues if you know what I mean!??!

Is there any way to contact the pct directly?? Has anyone bypassed their doctor in any way to get straight to the pct???

Thanks xxx

Oh and my BMI is over 50!

Last edited:
i cant really help you hun my journey has taken about a year and was quite straight forward, but what i would do is go back to your gp armed with all the information that you have found out and do his head in!

Hi Babe,

I'm in a similar situation to you. My PCT use the NICE criteria. I've gone armed with information and rather than saying 'no' I've been fobbed off. I had a rant today with my health trainer - bless her she's going to find out how she can help, but she said ultimately it is my doctor that has to refer me. I'm at my wits end.

I wish you all the luck in the world with this. I'll keep you posted on my situation if it changes. I'll also be keeping a keen eye on your progress in bypassing your doctor.

Take care honey. x

Not sure if this is the best advice to give but have you thought about seeing another GP? or change surgery? I did!

Good Luck xxx

that is a good idea ellie, someone that i knw had surgery in november 12 months after changing her gp. her previous gp had flatly refused so perhaps its worth thinking about. some doctors can be so pig headed when they dont realise how desperate we are to even consider wls, good luck hun x

i was going to sugest change GP, find one who is willing to help you.

Best of luck x

I have been advised to change GP too. It just seems like too much of an upheaval though especially if you have a history of other things and feel otherwise comfortable with your GP.

Id ring the pct to make doubly sure about their crtieria, and go armed with this info to your docs.I don't see how they have the right to refuse you then;):D

My experience was that my PCT claimed to use Nice guidelines, but it transpired that they did not. They wanted you to have attended a weight management course, to have attended a course with a dietician, etc. I did the weight management course and then spoke to the PCT. My case went to the panel and funding was denied. Maybe your GP knows what the PCT really want? (I did appeal and made a fuss and the outcome was my PCT changed their criteria, to make it even harder!)Otherwise, yes, seek out a GP who understands your plight.

Well, I am going to take your advice and change my gp tomorrow! I am at my whits end and have been for some time now.

I only have one other medical problem which is the after effects of the gallbladder removal....but I actually have a scan next week for that so I dont think changing gp now will affect that too much.

Thanks for all your replies too - its comforting to know I'm not the only one in this situation.
I hope we all get some way to where we want to be soon!

xxx

If it were me i would go to your current gp armed with what you've learned about your pct criteria. Tell them you have toilet issues and you are not prepared to do the pills route 'again'. You have done the leisure centre as asked by your gp and that has not worked. I would then tell them if you don't get any satisfaction you will change your gp as you feel they are denying you a service which you should be able to access. For goodness sake all he has to do is refer you, if the pct then say you have to do the pills or something else so be it, but he can't deny you the chance to speak to the people who know xx

good luck and keep us posted x

My PCT's procedure is that the GP refers us to a weight management service and we have to work with them for a year, exploring all weight loss options and we have to lose some weight to show that we are commited to changing our lifestyles. Only when they are reassured that we have tried our hardest, lost some weight and the op is the best solution will they refer us. Did your doctor give you a weight loss target ? Maybe discussing it again with that GP or another in the practice and creating an action plan might help ? Perhaps a weight loss target agreement between you and the GP in order to gain the referral might help?
Unfortunately many doctors are very protective of budgets with regard to weightloss surgery and it varies from area to area so much that it can be frustrating to hear that there are more barriers, escpecially when some people seem to get the surgery much more quickly.
It took me nearly 2 1/2 years from speaking to my GP to getting my op, but along the way i lost 2 1/2 stone, proving my commitment and making my op that bit less risky at the same time.
Stick with it and pressure them to set targets and timeframes to avoid it dragging on too long - you'll get there in the end x x

Thanks for all of your replies, I actually didnt have time to get to the doctors yesterday as I finished work late so I shall change my gp on Monday - hope it helps.

xx

Just a quick update: I have decided not to change m GP at the moment as I am in the process of referals for scans etc for something else.
But....I have contacted/written to my local PCT, so will let you all know when/if I hear back

xx

Hi all,

Have received a letter back from the PCT today, basically they said I have to be referred by my GP but they said I deffinately fit the criterea and to go back and ask to be referred.
They also enclosed a funding application for me to fill in ready....I was going to wait to change my GP as I have other issues being dealt with but now I think I will change immediately and see what happens.
I am taking the letter as a positive result seeing as they included the funding application!

xx

Back