• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

update found out

No Kerry its better we all are aware things could change weekly i was under the impression would be yearly or sumthing.
Best thing is to find out from your GP or PCT as u say we all under different ones.
good luck to us all at least we can support each other even if we feel like crying in bucket lol

Its only my PCT who have changed there criteria so try not to worry although i know its hard. Good luck at the doctors tomorrow. The last thing i wanted to do was cause anyone any added worry. xxx

ooo dont worry about that kerry, im sure nobody thinks that, thats what this site is for, for everyone to vent there feelings and experiances xx

I think it's useful to be aware of what is going on Kerry and thank you for raising the point... with love and hugs to you and hoping you get better news xxx

Thanks girls yeah i know but hate to be the bearer of bad news. I think we all knew who were waiting for funding that we were skating on thin ice, but it still comes as a nasty horrible shock and i too thought that the criteria was only reviewed every year, how wrong was i xxx

On the policy issue, with most PCTs the bariatric funding comes under the 'Low Clinical Priority' funding policy. This also covers things like apronectomys, breast reconstruction, ears pinning back etc. You can request a copy, or most PCTs publish it on their websites, its just a case of finding it. There is also an Exceptional Circumstances Panel who will consider people who don't meet the regular criteria but have, wait for it, exceptional circumstances :)

Kerry and everyone else, please, please don't give up.

My GP told me straight when I asked him about surgery that CATEGORICALLY I would not get funding.:eek::eek::eek:

I don't think he even knew what my PCT's criteria was and I certainly didn't.

He vaguely and very dismissively suggested that we write to the exeptions panel; but told me he held out 'NO HOPE'

He also told me to write my own letter to them and he would include it with his, as he said, "no-one can put your case across like you can."

I did that, honestly with no real hope, and 2 weeks later had my letter promising funding from the exceptions panel.

It was a truly beautiful moment, seeing his (the GP) gob-smacked face when he heard.

So don't give up, fight on. This is a ridiculous and short-sighted policy. We have to fight to make people see that.

and sending so much love to you all out there waiting. My heart bleeds. Truly.

I heard today via the husband of someone else who is due to have surgery in york that our pct is also going to increase to 60+ bmi, which would mean I wouldn't get the surgery either. I'm going to phone my bariatric nurse in the morning and find out what's going on. It seems ridiculous to put someone through all the pre op tests and waste money on those if you're not going to have the op at the end of it. Can't believe I'm sat here praying I will develop a comorbidity.

:-(( o dero....

well I've left a message on David, the nurse's answer phone and am now nervously waiting for him to call back.

I made a boo boo today when out walking the dog. I ran into the man who had told me about the proposed bmi change. His wife is having surgery at the same hospital. So he was on the field with a woman and a couple of kids this morning and I mistook her for his wife and asked her if she'd had any news about it. Turned out she was just a friend but is probably most affronted now that I thought she was having weight loss surgery.

OMG i'm so worried now. Shouldn't it be only for the new patients? as when we were reffered the criteria was different. After going through all the steps and ladders if they reject patients now its really not fair. So many people have gone through so much and also lost weight as weel to meet the criteria. Ohh its bad...

ok i just had a call from a member of the bariatric team for York pct who said it is not correct that they will raise the bar for automatic funding to 60+ rather than 50+. In fact york is planning to stop people with a bmi of over 60 from having automatic funding, and will insist on those people losing some weight first. However, that is not official yet and he was surprised news of it had slipped out already. He also said that you have to watch what you read on internet forums because news is given of one pct and suddenly people panic and interpret it as being the same for all pct's. He meant well so I'm not annoyed about that.
So fingers crossed I will still be eligible for funding when I next see him.

Does anyone know of criteria being changed for those with co-morbidities? Also, I wonder what will happen when the PCTs are abolished in 2013 and the GPs get to make the decisions where funding should go? - hah, by my caculations that'll be when I'm due for my op! :sigh:

Do those with co-morbidities get pushed through the process? I don't mind waiting and I'm not demanding to queue jump at all (honest!) - just wondered if this happened anywhere?

ok i just had a call from a member of the bariatric team for York pct who said it is not correct that they will raise the bar for automatic funding to 60+ rather than 50+. In fact york is planning to stop people with a bmi of over 60 from having automatic funding, and will insist on those people losing some weight first. However, that is not official yet and he was surprised news of it had slipped out already. He also said that you have to watch what you read on internet forums because news is given of one pct and suddenly people panic and interpret it as being the same for all pct's. He meant well so I'm not annoyed about that.
So fingers crossed I will still be eligible for funding when I next see him.

That is great news for you love, I'm so pleased. You can breath a sigh of releif now? xxxxx

That is great news for you love, I'm so pleased. You can breath a sigh of releif now? xxxxx

Charis I'll be holding my breathe til the day I get on that operating table. :D

Charis I'll be holding my breathe til the day I get on that operating table. :D

I know what you mean honey. I was convinced right up until the day I rang to check they had a bed for me that something would happen to stop it.
WELL we'll be with you all the way. xxxxxxxx :)

OMG i'm so worried now. Shouldn't it be only for the new patients?

Hey there

How comes ur worried Farzu as you stated in a previous post that your going private. Or is that not the case now for you and your September op??? What date u got for your op in September ??? Did ask you before but no reply was forthcoming. All the best - MeJulie x x

OMG i'm so worried now. Shouldn't it be only for the new patients?

Hey there

How comes ur worried Farzu as you stated in a previous post that your going private. Or is that not the case now for you and your September op??? What date u got for your op in September ??? Did ask you before but no reply was forthcoming. All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi MeJulie,
Yes i am worried for others who are still waiting for NHS funding. I will be flying for my op on the 10th of october if everything goes well till then. I will be going to Prague. I am still confused about which surgery i should go for as the financial difference in sleeve and bypass is not too much. XX

Back