• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recovery time for a band op

kurstywursty

Have only told two people about my intention to go for the operation and am wondering what to do about my work. I am a civil servant so have a sedentary job.

I am hoping to apply for a weeks holiday, which is all the leave I have available. I am hoping to have the op and be back at work the next week. Is this a realistic plan?

If I need to take sick leave, I will need to go into detail about my surgery and would rather not have to do that.

Hi there
I had op 25th last month I'm still quite tired and find it hard to lift example basket of wet washing!
I think it depends on your own pain threshold but also I think in my notes it says to have two weeks off work! Hope this helps good luck on your up coming journey :)
Faye x

Thanks Faye. How are you feeling other than being tired?

My pain threshold is pants :-(

Maybe I better re think and just discuss it with my boss

I took the time off as sick, the hospital gave me a sick note and it just states that I had abdominal surgery, no weight loss surgery was mentioned. I took two weeks off, I just told them that I had a hernia and had it repaired. You definitely need two weeks off to recover.

Hi
Other than being tired I am doing well, finding the liquid diet boring now but only another 3 days to go!
Im attempting swimming today with mum! I dont get any wind pain anymore which is great I can sleep on back or either sides cant lay on tummy yet! I do find walking at least 20-30 mins each day very helpful.
Have been doing housework too so I think all in all im doing well, they do say try and get up and doing things after surgery I generally have maybe an hours rest during the day otherwise my band starts to ache and slight pain comes but generally all good! Hope this helps :)

I must be a complete whimp because i certainly didn't feel 'normal' until 8 weeks post op ............... it wasn't pain so much just complete exhaustion ..... i felt bent over and shuffled around for the first week and certainly not housework.... i went out after a week for a walk and came straight home again soon after lol of course everyone is different but i would say 2 weeks for sure...... there was another lady here a few months back who only had a week planned and went back and couldn't manage on the little cals she was having. I think you have to play it by ear, expect to be tired your be eating very little in the first couple of weeks.... also remember that you have had a major op your insides need to too heal too so gently does it :) Faye hunni check with your provider re swimming so soon i'm sure mine said not until scars completely healed :) x x x x all the luck in the world. I also echo Donna the do not state on sick notes wls so thats a bonus x x x

I must be a complete whimp because i certainly didn't feel 'normal' until 8 weeks post op ............... it wasn't pain so much just complete exhaustion ..... i felt bent over and shuffled around for the first week and certainly not housework.... i went out after a week for a walk and came straight home again soon after lol of course everyone is different but i would say 2 weeks for sure...... there was another lady here a few months back who only had a week planned and went back and couldn't manage on the little cals she was having. I think you have to play it by ear, expect to be tired your be eating very little in the first couple of weeks.... also remember that you have had a major op your insides need to too heal too so gently does it :) Faye hunni check with your provider re swimming so soon i'm sure mine said not until scars completely healed :) x x x x all the luck in the world. I also echo Donna the do not state on sick notes wls so thats a bonus x x x

I had no idea about the sick notes..I put in for 2 weeks holidays, but good to know if need extra time that's something that could happen xx

Ok. Have a couple of problems. Would love to take it off on annual leave but only have a couple of days left before my leave year ends. Could get away with a week but not two. Also the surgeon told me two to three weeks timescale for the op. Don't think I would actually get two weeks leave approved on such short notice at this time of year.

So... Being reassured by the comments about sick line not specifying nature of the surgery, I have emailed my line manager telling her I am waiting for a date for surgery and will be needing a couple of weeks off. And left it at that!

OMG don't know how I will cope with her asking me about it. When I'm put on the spot I am like a rabbit caught in the headlights - I don't feel I can actually lie. So have to think up some clever diversion tactics

This is getting sooooo real now. Did any of you ever panic and think "what the hell am I doing here - do I really want to do this"

I wish I could just time travel to the week after the surgery. Lol

As you can see from the replies, everyone is different.

I had week off and was fine.

Phone your provider and see what it is they actually put on the note ............. i think my surgeon said they put abdominal procedure.... ........ the hospital will tell you if you give em a ring. Get your story straight in your head and stick with it lol your not obliged to tell em what wrong just quickly skim over it and move on LOL gl x x x I would deffo say 2 weeks hunni 1 would be really pushing it plus you need time to get used to eating again......... its not easy to start with :)

Ps welcome over at my diary anytime x x x

my provider advised 7 days for sedentary jobs but personally I was ok to return after 5 days, I was back driving long distances after 3 days which was the minimum time advised by my surgeon, but everyone is different.

Sharon. I thought about you when I got my date through. I was amazed at it being so quick though he did say two to three weeks but I thought this was a bit ambitious. So I'm before you!!!! And I thought you would be on posting all about it and I would be reading it while I was waiting.

Have you seen the dietitian. I believe she is off a present. So I still have no idea whether they do a calorie controlled post of or a milk diet

How are you feeling now it's getting closer?

Sharon. I thought about you when I got my date through. I was amazed at it being so quick though he did say two to three weeks but I thought this was a bit ambitious. So I'm before you!!!! And I thought you would be on posting all about it and I would be reading it while I was waiting. Have you seen the dietitian. I believe she is off a present. So I still have no idea whether they do a calorie controlled post of or a milk diet How are you feeling now it's getting closer?

Lol I just posted on your other one!!

Amazing news!!

I got sent a diet sheet very low cal...been making it my own ie avoiding carbs and so far so good! I have my Pre Op on Monday so hoping to get a bit more information then if need to make any last minute changes ie milk diet which I think I could cope with as this week iv been doing shakes for breakfast and lunch so one more meal would be ok!

When's ur pre op?? X

Lol I just posted on your other one!! Amazing news!! I got sent a diet sheet very low cal...been making it my own ie avoiding carbs and so far so good! I have my Pre Op on Monday so hoping to get a bit more information then if need to make any last minute changes ie milk diet which I think I could cope with as this week iv been doing shakes for breakfast and lunch so one more meal would be ok! When's ur pre op?? X

I don't know :-( I just got an email confirming the date and told a letter was going out to me in tonight's post x

Back