• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP !!!!!

tinkerboom

Hi there im 34 and have a b.m.i of 44 , and dr thinks may have type 2 diabetes , i have asked him twice now to refer me to the weight managment clinic at walsall manor hospital but he refusing to do so. I fit the criteria according to the NICE guidelines , can anyone please help me or advise me thanks xx

Oh dear has he said why, could you try another GP in the practise. Sorry but dont really know what else to advise. Good luck! x

All i get is diet sheets , phone numbers all the general stuff , as if i havent tried them all before i done all the diets and orlistat tablets to no avail i feel weight loss surgery is what i need but i think my gp must be anti srugery as hes being so obstructive

It certainly sounds like they are! As I said the only alternative might be to see another GP either at your current surgery or change surgeries.

Hi Tinkerboom and welcome to the site.

I think I read somewhere here that WM are very over subscribed and are not taking any more referals until their backlog is sorted. I believe Heartlands is taking them so you should get your GP to investigate that. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. i fell that a second opinion is deffianetly the way to go , i have battled with my weight all my life and as i say fit the NICE guidelines and yes even if he were to refer me out the area at least i no i was on my way x

I would definately to to another GP.

Hi Tinkerboom, I had been to my own GP who wouldn't even give me the orlistat so a couple of months later I went to see another GP at the same surgery and he gave me them, I went to see him a couple of times to get more orlistat, I was loosing weight but not very fast as some people do. Then about 6 months later I went back to see the GP I took a carrier bag with all the diets I had tried with my weight cards showing the weight I'd lost and then told him I'd put it all back on and more and said I just didn't know what else to try as I didn't think the orlistat was working and he had previously given me an excercise referral but nothing was working and I said I had done a lot of research on weight loss surgery and think that it is the best thing for me and he agreed and referred me, so I think Mazza is right, try another GP in the same surgery, hope this helps, Karen x

yeah i totally understand i find it very fustrating and fell like he keeps going round and round in circles avaoiding the issue or the referal. I no it takes time before you get a 1st appointment and is a chance i may not get funding but i just wished he would not stand in the way and give me the opportunity to at least try x

You could also write directly to your PCT stating your case

Hi Tinkerboom and welcome to WLS ..... the best advice I can give you is DONT GIVE UP......... dont accept NO as an answer... if you read some of the threads on here you will soon see that loads of people were turned down at first, including me........you have to bite the bullet and be prepared to fight ;) you go girl, you can do it :D x

Hi Tinkerboom

It took me 3 yrs of fighting to get my GP to refer me, I printed off the NICE Guidelines and took them with me and threw them on the desk and said I know what you are supposed to be doing for me, and he then referred me.
I know Walsall are not currently taking any more referrals, and having spoken to Ramana Jack at Wolverhampton PCT they have reviewed the referral criteria to 45 with diabetes and 50 with hypertension and sleep apnoea, to try and reduce the numbers being referred, but how they stand legally as the NICE Guidance has not changed I do not know. But don't give up be prepared for a fight, and I wish you all the best.

Sue

ohhhhhhh i am prepared for the fight i have a lot of support from my partner friends and family and on sites like these . just gets very dis-heartening when all it takes is for him to give me the go ahead to try and get my life back x

just wanted to welcome yout to WLS and wish you good luck on your journey, i cant really advise you anymore than whats allready been said but i do agree - try again with a deifferent doctor - and dont take no for an answer ask y hes saying no and tell him you will write to the pct yourself if you dont get anywhere with the gp - most gp's have never been fat so dont know how you feel - best of luck hun xxx keep us updated on how you get on x

Im new to all this lol but been told by a few peopel today that both Walsall and Hearlands have closed there books to anymore referals can someone please tell me where this leaves me as im desperatly trying to get referred thankyou x

Back