• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hernia worry ... Advice please

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
I am having concerns over a hernia I have ... Not the hiatal one but the epigastric one which has been quite prominent & tender lately. I have been avoiding the docs for fear if this putting a kybosh on getting the bypass done but if it doesn't settle soon i dont think i can keep avoiding getting it checked out :sigh:.

Has any one knowingly had one of this type of hernia prior to surgery and did it have any impact on their surgeries?

Thanks folks x

I am having concerns over a hernia I have ... Not the hiatal one but the epigastric one which has been quite prominent & tender lately. I have been avoiding the docs for fear if this putting a kybosh on getting the bypass done but if it doesn't settle soon i dont think i can keep avoiding getting it checked out :sigh:.

Has any one knowingly had one of this type of hernia prior to surgery and did it have any impact on their surgeries?

Thanks folks x

I had a sleeve done, with an umbilical hernia. The surgery was fine, the dr was meant to fix it at the same time but I woke up with it still protruding and painful. I wasn't happy but I could see their thinking when I'd calmed down. It was better repaired when I had dropped some weight. I eventually had it repaired. In total I had four hernias and three different repairs. Hope this helps.

They can be very painful, the more stressed I got the more I found they caused me a problem as my bowl would contract and get knotted in the hole in the muscle wall.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

That's interesting as I am currently having lots of tummy pain and they are sending me for a scan was worried it was going to be a hernia and it would delay my operation.- so that has helped me too thanks

Thanks for that cicca. I have been quite constipated lately (tmi i know sorry) so thats possibly not helping things either. I have no doubt that there are probably other hernias lurking under the layers too so probably best to wait as you say. Did you get them all fixed at the same time or separately?

Thanks for that cicca. I have been quite constipated lately (tmi i know sorry) so thats possibly not helping things either. I have no doubt that there are probably other hernias lurking under the layers too so probably best to wait as you say. Did you get them all fixed at the same time or separately?

I had various repairs, I was plagued by them. At my heaviest 31 stone one was repaired but it caused many more to happen because I was too heavy. Eventually having lost 18 stone I had a tummy tuck, where the surgeon spent a lot of time cutting out affected muscles and tidying me up basically.

Also!

Try to stay regular, even if it means taking a laxative. I always ended up in hospital when on a periods as my bowels would change and inevitably get trapped in the hernia hole. When it kicked off, I found laying down helped till the bowel had a chance to slide back in. If at all possible wear a support garment, which can help give the hernia from protruding.

Sounds like you had a horrendous time hun. Bonus on the tummy tuck though. The one that is giving me the bother is bigger than my hand and resembles the John hurt scene out of alien prior to the gore lol but I am aware of other much smaller bumps lower down around the tummy button ... Oh joys. I know the hiatal hernia will be fixed at the op so not too worried about that one.

Thanks again hun xx

Back