• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi Again

duncan

What has been peoples experiences regards having time of work for your surgery.

I spoke with my manager last night telling him of a surgery date (he doesn't know what surgery). He has asked me to get a certificate from the doc/surgeon to be signed of, the surgeon has said it'll be a 2 week recovery, within the conversation to my manager he did say if it is elective surgery then I probably won't get paid :(. I emailed the surgeon telling him this and asked him if he could give me a certificate but could he word it slightly differently without saying ive had weightloss surgery.
I'm thinking now that that might have be quiet a cheeky thing to ask, what has everyone else done?

hi there,

i had this problem too. my manager told me it was elective surgery, so i would have to take it as holiday/unpaid.

however i went to HR and explained it all to them. they agreed that it was 100% a case of sick, and that if i had a sick note there was ntohing my managers could do about it.

my surgeon signed me off for two weeks and the management were fine about it.

good luck getting it sorted :)

I told only my manager and team leader from the start about my plans for WLS and about the length of time I may need off after my op to get over the whole post op food changes went to gp who gave me 2 months off , work have been ok with it
I could not have gone back to work doing the job I do with eating as little as I have been still only on sparrow portions !
All I can say is only you can judge how much time you need if you get a few weeks off and depending on the type of job you do you may feel up to going back before your sick note runs out others may need to take all the time given to recover and get the post food pick out the way and get some stamia back

I took a weeks leave after my band (well 4 days as the Monday was a bank holiday), didn't discuss it with work.

I'm having 3 weeks and hoping that's enough! I work in a hospital where I have to respond to emergency and cardiac arrest calls, so have to be able to perform CPR.....and my tummy is way to sore to be doing that jiggling just yet!

Zxx

Sleeved Tuesday back to work following Monday. Desk job but long drive commute. .. told no one. Was bit feeble fir 2 weeks. Cpr jiggling lol.

Surgeon or receiving gp can reword for discretion and sign off as electric technically but only as you paying and not via nhs. Nhs surgeons sign people off min 2 weeks. Sometimes 3 or 4 x

Hope it helps

Duncan, Simon told me that he will provide me with a certificate, but that it is recognised as a health benefit, so sick pay should be honoured. Mind you every employer is different. Luckily my boss recognises that the fact I will be healthier and fitter and so less likely to have days off in the future. Tell Simon your situation he will be sympathetic. Good luck

i work on a consultancy basis so just took time out from my contracts, didn't tell them why apart from having surgery. My provider advised 7 days for office based job, 2 weeks for more active and if lifting to avoid lifting for longer. I felt ready to return after day 4/5' was back driving long distances on day 3 but it's different for everyone

I'm having 3 weeks and hoping that's enough! I work in a hospital where I have to respond to emergency and cardiac arrest calls, so have to be able to perform CPR.....and my tummy is way to sore to be doing that jiggling just yet!

Zxx

cpr jiggling, sorry but that made me giggle.

Duncan, Simon told me that he will provide me with a certificate, but that it is recognised as a health benefit, so sick pay should be honoured. Mind you every employer is different. Luckily my boss recognises that the fact I will be healthier and fitter and so less likely to have days off in the future. Tell Simon your situation he will be sympathetic. Good luck

I spoke to Kay and the lovely Simon yesterday, he will do me a letter stating what you have already quoted along with a sick note :)

Duncan, that is good news. I tried to pm you but as on your other thread it mentions you need 50 before you can receive and send.

That's a shame I don't have Facebook, but strangely I do Twitter where you can direct message. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ladies I have removed twitter / Facebook names for your personal privacy as 'anyone' viewing this Internet site would have access to your personal details. You may prefer to update your 'personal' details under 'user cp' where it will provide a 'link' to Facebook/myfitnesspal for example instead of letting the whole world know your name. Keep posting and you will soon be up to 50 as Mazza said and then you will be able to pm each other. Best of luck on your journeys ladies :D

Back