• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi all I'm new is anyone from Stoke on Trent?

kjm86

Hello to all! Finally after years of battling with diets, I plucked up the courage to go the doctors and ask to be referred for wls. My doctor was really good and knew by how much I tried to lose weight on my own, I lost over ten stone through healthy eating but gradually I gained the weight back. So he referred me up to north Staffordshire bariatrics. I'm right at the beginning and awaiting my first appointment as I type this. I'm hoping there is someone on here from my area who can tell me there experiences and how it works in this area. Tia xx

Hi im from stoke. My surgery is next month. Ask away i will try my best to answer your questions about my journey so far

Hi Maddy thanks for your reply. My main question is how long from your referral did it take for you too get a date for surgery and what happens in your first appointment. Im just curious as to what happens from your first appointment to where your at now if that makes sense. My doctor didn't explain the process to me you see. I know they excepted my referral up the hospital and they asked me what hospital I want to go I said north staffs as its closest. I'm just waiting on a date now for first appointmen . Tia xx

hello KJM86
warm welcome to you !

Hello, welcome to the forum and best wishes for your journey :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Maddy thanks for your reply. My main question is how long from your referral did it take for you too get a date for surgery and what happens in your first appointment. Im just curious as to what happens from your first appointment to where your at now if that makes sense. My doctor didn't explain the process to me you see. I know they excepted my referral up the hospital and they asked me what hospital I want to go I said north staffs as its closest. I'm just waiting on a date now for first appointmen . Tia xx

Hi i got my first appointment roughly 4 weeks after referral. I was told surgery would be in or around 3 months and i was given a target weight to get to. My surgery date took 3 times the average time because i was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My months were filled with regular trips to dietician endocrinologist sleep centre heart centre lung centre. Bloods swabs nothing too painful. I find the team approachable and understanding. They all meet you on the first day then make individual appointments to see you. Yours might go swimmingly after your first appointment. Good luck

Thanks for your reply again Maddy, that's so helpful at least I have a clearer understanding of what too expect now! That seems so fast within 3 months. It's good that they all meet you together at first appointment. Good luck with your surgery next month I hope it goes really well for you and a quick recovery too! Xx

Thanks for your reply again Maddy, that's so helpful at least I have a clearer understanding of what too expect now! That seems so fast within 3 months. It's good that they all meet you together at first appointment. Good luck with your surgery next month I hope it goes really well for you and a quick recovery too! Xx

Thanks hun. You will be fine and right behind me

Hi, I'm from Stoke too. I have an appointment with my GP next week to ask for a referral, I'm so worried that she'll refuse because as far as I know I have no co'morbidities.

Hi Hun And welcome :)

I had a real struggle getting my surgery to do a WLS referral for me. I originally asked to be referred in January 2010 when I hit 18 stone mark just after Christmas. My GP said no and I was so upset to be told to join a slimming group and get more active.

Anyway, I would not be told no and I had to bang my drum and kept asking and asking until some four years later in 2014 a new doctor finally agreed to refer me and she said she would check my bloods as well. I also found out after having my bloods done, that i was borderline diabetic and had an under active thyroid, which helped my referral get accepted by the weight team.

It was so annoying because for years my doctor kept on going on to me about my BP and weight, yet they wouldn't help me. I was getting really depressed and felt my whole life centred around my weight and various diets, pills and potions. I also felt that my thyroid was not right but they said it was my BP and weight related problems!!

I think things are much easier now with the new NICE guidelines. I think your BMI has to be 40 or over or it can be 35 with co morbidities.

Don't be afraid to ask because you have got nothing to lose and everything to gain. If at first you don't succeed, then keep at it as you will get there in the end.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you get on.

Take care x

Hi hun just to let you know when I went see my doctor for referral I had no co morbilities either only my bmi is 47 and because I've tried everything from slimming world, weight watchers, healthy lifestyle, orlistat tablets and a dietician he has agreed that this is the last resort for me. My referral has been accepted up hospital just waiting for my first appointment now I'm still scared they will say no! But push your doctor and tell him you need this, I was adamant when going see him that it was a referral I was after. Good luck with your gp, keep in touch let me know how you get on xxx

Thanks violetangel, I have no co mobilities that I'm aware of but my bmi is 47 so I'm hoping that they will go ahead smoothly with it all. I know it can be a long process and a hard one too, but I think its the only option for me now. I will keep u updated and let u know how my appointment goes xx

Yes that would be great. Looking forward to hearing all about your journey x

Hi Hun

Yes I forget to say silly me that once my referral was done everything happened really quick. I have recently got my surgery date which is the 23rd July although they've asked me to go in on the 22nd July as i am one of the first on the list on the day of surgery. Starting LSD on the 1st July and pre op is next Wednesday so it's finally all happening!!!

Take care

Hi

I am also from Stoke, I was referred in January, had my 1st appointment with Endrocrinology in March where they had a chat and gave me a weight loss goal before they would do surgery (10kg). I also saw the dietitian and had bloods done. Since then I have seen the dietitian again and have lost my 10kg. I met with the surgeon on the 5th June where we discussed surgery options and agreed on a bypass, I am now waiting for a date, she tells me it will be August.

Not sure who I see next or when my appointment will come through, itching to give them a call but trying to be patient.

Good luck on your journey xx

Hi

I am also from Stoke, I was referred in January, had my 1st appointment with Endrocrinology in March where they had a chat and gave me a weight loss goal before they would do surgery (10kg). I also saw the dietitian and had bloods done. Since then I have seen the dietitian again and have lost my 10kg. I met with the surgeon on the 5th June where we discussed surgery options and agreed on a bypass, I am now waiting for a date, she tells me it will be August.

Not sure who I see next or when my appointment will come through, itching to give them a call but trying to be patient.

Hi Sue, I hope your date comes through soon for you I bet your so excited and nervous at the same time! it seems stoke see to us really quickly then compared to most areas in england. I think I'll be less anxious once I've been for my first appointment because I'll have a idea if they are willing to wls then. I want to be excited about it but somehow I think they won't give me wls. Keep me posted how you get on sue, its good too speak to people who have and are going through the same journey. i hope your surgery date will be with you soon hun xxx

Hi

Hi Hun

Yes I forget to say silly me that once my referral was done everything happened really quick. I have recently got my surgery date which is the 23rd July although they've asked me to go in on the 22nd July as i am one of the first on the list on the day of surgery. Starting LSD on the 1st July and pre op is next Wednesday so it's finally all happening!!!

Take care

Oh gosh that's very soon then hun, i bet you feel a sense of relief now you got your surgery date. I hope everything goes really well for you and you have a quick recovery! Keep me updated it nice to hear how everyone is doing. X

Yes - will do sweet xx

Back