• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi everybody.

Bonita S

It's a long time since I've been on the forums but I'm looking for some advice. Some of you might remember me, I had my bypass back in 2009 at Walsall Manor and suffered all sorts of post op complications. More recently things have turned really bad and I'm not sure what to think so thought I'd ask around the forums.

Following the original operation I had internal bleeds, a severe wound infection, a large hernia which was repaired at Walsall and other stuff happened. After twelve months I still had an open wound stretching from just under my bust line to below my belly button. The team at Walsall tried all sorts to get it to heal but it took about two years in the end. I did lose a lot of weight, too much to be honest and slipped into the problem of not being able to eat much at all and having spells in hospital with very low blood sugar. But that all settled down about three years in and for the first time in years I felt human.

I divorced and met a lovely new man and we started to travel the world together, having a wonderful time, but then I started to suffer with my Arthritis and a lot of chest pain around the same time. Also the weight started to creep back on. I didn't realise how badly and how fast to start with, but as I got bigger the pain in my chest got worse and worse. I started with severe breathing problems and intense pain along my right hand side.

Turns out my Gall Bladder needed removing but because I had already had so much surgery and so many problems before I couldn't get a surgeon to agree to do it. Eventually I ended up in Stoke hospital as an emergency case with these Gall Stones and the surgeons had no choice but to operate.

Because I had been through so much previous bariatric surgery my stomach was full of adhesion, my Surgeon Miss Rotundo tried to remove the Gall Bladder via Laparoscopy but had to revert to open because she pierced my bowel. The following day I collapsed and ended up being rushed to theatre because the main artery to my Liver had also been severed. That was the beginning of Sept 2014 and I got out of critical care in Nov 2014.

Miss Rotundo decided she was going to get to the bottom of why my bypass seems to have failed and why I'm in extreme pain like this so has been running tests. Yesterday she put a camera down my stomach and excitedly announced she has found her first Fistula. She said in the 13 years she has been doing bypasses she has never seen this before.

I'm sitting there in shock and started to cry. After everything I've been through and all this time it seems my pouch has re-attached itself to my stomach and as the pouch itself had stretched I now have a bigger stomach than the one I started off with in the first place and all this weight gain.

She told me that she can fix it but it would mean more open surgery (not that that matters, my stomach is covered in scar's anyway) but and here's the crux.....

Because the hospital is on black alert no elective operations are being performed so she can't do it until about March and as she is mindful that I have a wedding in Malta in May I can't travel so she will have to wait until after then.

On top of that I have another large incisional Hernia and both my stomach and bowel are lying within this Hernia. She want's to fix it but can't until I've lost the weight I've regained or it will just come back.

As I was leaving yesterday she did hug me and say on the upside as I've been through so much and will have such a badly scarred stomach she promises she will do a tummy tuck for me herself.

That should have been a huge conciliation especially as I know so many have been turned down for plastics but I'm just in so much shock at the moment that a bypass can re-attach itself like that I just don't know what to think or think I can go through another 12 months of surgery.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

One very depressed Bonita :(

It's a long time since I've been on the forums but I'm looking for some advice. Some of you might remember me, I had my bypass back in 2009 at Walsall Manor and suffered all sorts of post op complications. More recently things have turned really bad and I'm not sure what to think so thought I'd ask around the forums. Following the original operation I had internal bleeds, a severe wound infection, a large hernia which was repaired at Walsall and other stuff happened. After twelve months I still had an open wound stretching from just under my bust line to below my belly button. The team at Walsall tried all sorts to get it to heal but it took about two years in the end. I did lose a lot of weight, too much to be honest and slipped into the problem of not being able to eat much at all and having spells in hospital with very low blood sugar. But that all settled down about three years in and for the first time in years I felt human. I divorced and met a lovely new man and we started to travel the world together, having a wonderful time, but then I started to suffer with my Arthritis and a lot of chest pain around the same time. Also the weight started to creep back on. I didn't realise how badly and how fast to start with, but as I got bigger the pain in my chest got worse and worse. I started with severe breathing problems and intense pain along my right hand side. Turns out my Gall Bladder needed removing but because I had already had so much surgery and so many problems before I couldn't get a surgeon to agree to do it. Eventually I ended up in Stoke hospital as an emergency case with these Gall Stones and the surgeons had no choice but to operate. Because I had been through so much previous bariatric surgery my stomach was full of adhesion, my Surgeon Miss Rotundo tried to remove the Gall Bladder via Laparoscopy but had to revert to open because she pierced my bowel. The following day I collapsed and ended up being rushed to theatre because the main artery to my Liver had also been severed. That was the beginning of Sept 2014 and I got out of critical care in Nov 2014. Miss Rotundo decided she was going to get to the bottom of why my bypass seems to have failed and why I'm in extreme pain like this so has been running tests. Yesterday she put a camera down my stomach and excitedly announced she has found her first Fistula. She said in the 13 years she has been doing bypasses she has never seen this before. I'm sitting there in shock and started to cry. After everything I've been through and all this time it seems my pouch has re-attached itself to my stomach and as the pouch itself had stretched I now have a bigger stomach than the one I started off with in the first place and all this weight gain. She told me that she can fix it but it would mean more open surgery (not that that matters, my stomach is covered in scar's anyway) but and here's the crux..... Because the hospital is on black alert no elective operations are being performed so she can't do it until about March and as she is mindful that I have a wedding in Malta in May I can't travel so she will have to wait until after then. On top of that I have another large incisional Hernia and both my stomach and bowel are lying within this Hernia. She want's to fix it but can't until I've lost the weight I've regained or it will just come back. As I was leaving yesterday she did hug me and say on the upside as I've been through so much and will have such a badly scarred stomach she promises she will do a tummy tuck for me herself. That should have been a huge conciliation especially as I know so many have been turned down for plastics but I'm just in so much shock at the moment that a bypass can re-attach itself like that I just don't know what to think or think I can go through another 12 months of surgery. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? One very depressed Bonita :(

Hi bonita..
I'm positive I remember you..I've been on this site since 2010 so your name sounds very familiar to me.
I'm sorry to hear all the problems you've suffered with since the bypass...and to be honest I've never heard of a fistula.
It seems impossible that the pouch can reattach to the stomach!
You really have gone through it all!...my problems seems like nothing compared to yours..

And I'll admit at times I regret my surgery...as it gets me down not having any answers to why I'm having daily abdomen problems.
I have daily burning/discomfort daily in the top part of my abdomen...and if I bend,stretch or even just sitting at a table my abdomen bloats right up and I get these horrendous pains where it's feels like something "kinking" in the abdomen area.
The pain is so bad it hurts to breathe...eventually it goes on its own sometimes with the help of hot water/heat.
Stress sometimes has brought the pain on..it's weird.

So the doctors have done tests for possible twisted bowel..2 body scans one with dye,and now I've probely got to have a camera through the stomach to check for an hernia,in the coming weeks.
I posted a question on here about hernias..as I wanted to know what they was..
And next week I've got to have an iron transfusion done,as I'm having problems with iron too..6 boring hours at the hospital stuck on a drip.
But I'm actually looking forward to it now,as I'm dizzy all the time and passed out today.
So that's me...sorry to witter on!.....it's really nice to hear from you,please take care xx

Bonita, your story sounds pretty not average and you have been very brave.
I have a real belief in fate and everything happens for a reason...i think you have to ask how much more can you and your body take. For your pouch to reattach and now be so large maybe this is just your fate and how you were meant to be. I know it means weight gain which you dont want but for me at this point i may well accept thats how it was meant to be.
You have certainly been through the mill and have some choices ahead of you...i hope whatever happens you are happy and healthy! Good luck

I agree with Kar8858 you have been through so much and have been very brave and sometimes things present them selves for a reason. Maybe this was not meant to be. You are in a strange zone at the moment but you must think long and hard before you go ahead with any more surgery. Are you happy with yourself, can you be happy and loose a bit of weight now you know it's because of the attachment of the pouch. What would be the advantages or disadvantages of more surgery. I wish you well and look forward to hearing you decision. :)

I am stunned after reading this I just dont know how to respond to it either in a meaningful way .All I can do is wish you good luck and better health in the days abd months ahead

Wow, what a horrendous struggle you've had. I'm so sorry you've had to suffer so much. I hope you can get your poor tummy helped soon. Hugs xx

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. To be honest I did question whether now was the time to say enough is enough and live with things as they are but I'm told that's not an option. The area around the Fistula's is far too ulcerated and to be honest the pain can be intense at times, it's almost like having a heart attack. Miss Rotundo seems confident she can sort it.

Lesson I guess is make sure your GP understands that your pouch cannot tolerate certain drugs, seems Naproxen is to blame for this.

Hi this is what I said early on when I had my surgery, NSAIDs are a bit no no and I'm surprised that nurses, Gps don't know about the effects. yet this is now going to be the way forward to help so many people who are over weight. I had to argue with staff on the ward not to give me Ibrufen, on the other hand my Gp gave me the medication in liquid form yo take into hospital. There is more education needed for everyone. I really do wish you well in what ever you decide, it sounds like you don't have much choice. :)

First of all hello and welcome back!

Secondly, wow - you have had a rough time. I don't remember ever reading on here that anyones bypass has done that but I have read elsewhere that it can happen. I'm sorry that you are the first here to experience it, on top of everything else.

Must be something about us 2009'ers as I'm facing further surgery due to oesophagitis and a huge incisional epigastric hernia, which is stuck.

Here's to a happier and much healthier 2015! xx

Hi Bonita i gave just read your post and thought wow! You poor dear how horrendous for you you have been through so much . Im going to wish you all the best for March and agree with Kar 88 that everything happens for a reason all the best dear ! X

How awful for you. Good luck and hugs x

Back