• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi Everyone

missboydas

I have been suffering with a hiatus hernia for 11 years now and last year I went to see my surgeon who told me to go away and try and lose some weight. ( I weigh 17 stone ).So I joined the gym which I go to at least twice a week, I go to aqua fit twice a week and zumba once a week. I find it hard to eat a lot and my diet is very limited due to acid reflux and getting full rather quickly. I only drink boiled water and bottled water. I have also been going to see a dietician once a month. However despite my effort I still weigh exactly the same as I did last year !! I have neither gained or lost in the whole time, which I can tell you has been so frustrating. I went back to see my surgeon last week and hes has told me he wont operate on my hernia and has suggested I go for weight loss surgery to help me. I went to see my doctor and she is refering me to sunderland. I am so confused as to what is going to happen, how long it is likely to take and I would be so grateful for any help and support anyone would kindly give me :sigh:

Hi and welcome. I'm a patient at Sunderland and my journey has taken 17 months so far, with an expected 9 months longer to wait. I am aware some people pester and ring the receptionist constantly in order to be treated quicker, but I don't think it really makes a difference.
I am now using my waiting time to make a few simple changes to my diet, and hopefully things will be a little easier because of it.
What surgery are you hoping for?
I am waiting for bypass.

Hi not sure its relevant to your point but I had a hiatus hernia that I didn't even know about and I understand it was pretty spectacular! But ny surgeon fixed it 'while he was there' doing my gastric bypass. Maybe they will kill two birds with one stone too? X

Hello and welcome.

The best advice i can give you is to use the time wisely to research all of your options for surgery. The 2 most popular are the bypass or the band, however the sleeve is becoming increasingly more popular and we have had some fantastic results from our sleevers on here.

Good luck on your journey and never worry about asking questions however daft you think they are. We've all done it and there is really nothing you can't tell or ask us xx

Today I have had a phone call from my GP and she has told me that the waiting list for sunderland is 4 month closed list. She has advised I wait until New Year when WL surgery is going to be started up at our local hospital and believe it or not it will be done by the surgeon who would not operate on my hernia !!!

:( feel for you! I had hernia repair and gastric band done together and feel soooo much better. I think part of my over-eating was to keep the reflux at bay. Its great to be able to eat less and not get the acid. Even better, I can have a glass of wine without feeling in continuous pain. Try to stay positive xx

Thank you for your support and wise words:) I am going to continue my exercising and try to lose weight:mad: I am also going to look into WLS a bit more to find out what options I have.
What is this pre op diet that you seem to have to do ???????????????

Everyone seems to have a different diet depending on their wls provider, bmi, procedure.

I had a milk, slimfast and yoghurt diet. It worked for me. Didn't have to think too much about having to make choices. Apart from the odd bit of cucumber I snuck in :break_diet: (as I felt the need for something crunchy) I stuck to it and lost 13lbs in the two weeks pre-op.

Sorry to hear that the list is closed and you will have to wait. It is really hard waiting but I had to wait quite some time also. Its good to be as fit as you can be for the surgery so going to the gym is great do some breathing exercises as well as they will help in surgery also.

Good Luck and hope it comes around soon.

Rosebun.x

Hi there,

I am another new member to the site and am waiting for surgery as we speak - a different part of the country to you though - after a journey which started in late 2009 with the discussion with my GP about WLS being the right thing for me and starting the ball rolling with an application for funding (where I live you have to have funding in place before they can refer you to a surgeon).

As part of my journey, and because I have symptoms of reflux which I require prescription medications for, I was sent for a barium swallow which has shown a sliding hiatus hernia. I am hoping that when I have my surgery (a sleeve gastrectomy) they will also sort out the hernia - seems a sensible idea as they will already be operating in that region and it was my surgeon who requested the test that diagnosed it in the first place!!

Good luck with the list, one thing to remember if they are starting up a list at your local hospital, those people who join the list when it starts may have had to wait to join the list but should be nearer the top of the list!!! Again, it's something I have a vested interest in as my local hospital is starting to offer sleeves and bypasses next month (they've done bands for a long while) and I've been added to the list there rather than having to join a list at another hospital which I was told would take between 18-26 weeks to get to the top of!!

Tatiana

My hernia is also a sliding one and it goes from a 2cm -5cm one. In 2000 they thought I had Gall Bladder trouble and was put on medication. However after years of acid reflux and been sick I was sent for yet another endoscopy which showed a sliding hernia. I also had a tube up my nose into my stomach to record the level of acid :-( I also have to wear teeth guards twice a day as the acid is wearing the enamel off my teeth !! I just want the acid to stop :-(
I do hope your wait is not too long hun

Back