• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi i am new to here. I have just been told by my GP that i have been agreed for gastric band funding at the L and D hospital. Does anyone know whats

Lel71

Hi
I'm new to here. My GP called me yesterday and told me the good news I have been approved for funding for a gastric band at the L and D hospital. Does anyone know what happens now and how long I have to wait for surgery?

Shelley537

Hi there I'm also a luton :) have just been put on Dr Rashid's waiting list and should be receiving my date within the next 18 weeks. I was signed off tier 3 in February and recieved a letter a few weeks later to say they were applying for funding and sent me an ECG request form to have done at my next appointment.
My funding was approved around may time this year. I then recieved an appointment for july 5th for my MDT meetings with the nurse, dietitian, psychologist, anesthetist plus the Ecg (it was a very long day😂).......then 4 weeks later (1st Aug) I had my appointment with the surgeon and was put on the waiting list. Everyone's story and pattern of appointments are very different even though we are at the are hospital which is a little strange........ so your next step could be your MDT appointments 😊 x

Bling Babe

Hi
I'm new to here. My GP called me yesterday and told me the good news I have been approved for funding for a gastric band at the L and D hospital. Does anyone know what happens now and how long I have to wait for surgery?
Sorry I know I’ve answered your question as best I can on your other post but I’m a little confused now because Luton told us at my MDT that they will not do a gastric band only a bypass or sleeve, does this mean they do them now, I didn’t ever want a band but find it interesting that they wouldn’t do them 2 years ago?

Shelley537

Sorry I know I’ve answered your question as best I can on your other post but I’m a little confused now because Luton told us at my MDT that they will not do a gastric band only a bypass or sleeve, does this mean they do them now, I didn’t ever want a band but find it interesting that they wouldn’t do them 2 years ago?
Yes bling when I met Dr Rashid couple of weeks back he got the little booklet out (the one with all the procedures in) to talk though each of them again and he literally put a cross through the Gastric band and said we don't do those here...... but like you it wasn't something I was interested in so i didn't think to question it. Like I said in my last post you never know everyone and every surgeon are so different you really can second guess it these days x

Lel71

Hi Shelley
Thanks for that. Gives me a bit more of an idea. My GP called and said funding had now been approved but I just don't know what the next step.is. What are MDT appointments?x

Lel71

Hi
I'm not sure tbh. I haven't had my appointment yet so I am only going with what my GP said but he isn't an expert and he probably isn't aware of what they offer. What is the best operation to have? Which one did you have? Have you lost a good amount of weight with it? Sorry for all the questions.

Lel71

Lol no none! I got referred last year and had to do the tier 3 through a weight loss place called busy bees. My GP then contacted L nd D and had to answer questions about what I had achieved through tier 3. Then on Friday my GP called me to say they had agreed funding for surgery! I don't know anymore at this point.

Shelley537

I now I get you.... I doesn't take much to confuse me I'm such a doughnut 😂. Well done for completing tier 3......I did mine at Luton so just carried straight on to tier 4. So like I said in my last post you should be at the MDT stage which consists of a 4 appointments with a nurse, dietitian, psychologist and anesthetist.(Multidisciplinary Team is a group of professionals from one or more clinical disciplines who together make decisions regarding recommended treatment of individuals).
But because you haven't been seen there before your appointments maybe slightly different. If in doubt you can always give luton a call I'm sure they will be able to fill you in 😊 x
This forum in fab though lots of useful info x

Lel71

Thanks for replying. Its such a lot to take in. Which surgery have you had? Do they decide which is best for you or do they only do certain types of surgeries? I'm not even sure which one is the best and safest x

Shelley537

Thanks for replying. Its such a lot to take in. Which surgery have you had? Do they decide which is best for you or do they only do certain types of surgeries? I'm not even sure which one is the best and safest x
Oh gosh yeah there really is so much to take it!!!! I haven't had my surgery yet..... I'm going to be having the RNY Bypass i don't have any medical problems so i got to choose which procedure I wanted. If you have certain medical problems for example reflux or diabetes the surgeon would advise you of the procedure that would be best for you. Like bling Babe and I were saying in the previous post at Luton they do seem to be quite anti Gastric bands and I got the impression they don't do them but i maybe wrong thats something you can discuss with them when you go........ the 3 main procedures they offer are the gastric Sleeve, RNY Bypass and the Loop Bypass. X

Bling Babe

Yes bling when I met Dr Rashid couple of weeks back he got the little booklet out (the one with all the procedures in) to talk though each of them again and he literally put a cross through the Gastric band and said we don't do those here...... but like you it wasn't something I was interested in so i didn't think to question it. Like I said in my last post you never know everyone and every surgeon are so different you really can second guess it these days x
I see, I was confused because you said in your post that your having a gastric band

Bling Babe

Lol no none! I got referred last year and had to do the tier 3 through a weight loss place called busy bees. My GP then contacted L nd D and had to answer questions about what I had achieved through tier 3. Then on Friday my GP called me to say they had agreed funding for surgery! I don't know anymore at this point.
I see now, I completed my tier 3 at Luton too so no GP involvement

Bling Babe

I now I get you.... I doesn't take much to confuse me I'm such a doughnut 😂. Well done for completing tier 3......I did mine at Luton so just carried straight on to tier 4. So like I said in my last post you should be at the MDT stage which consists of a 4 appointments with a nurse, dietitian, psychologist and anesthetist.(Multidisciplinary Team is a group of professionals from one or more clinical disciplines who together make decisions regarding recommended treatment of individuals).
But because you haven't been seen there before your appointments maybe slightly different. If in doubt you can always give luton a call I'm sure they will be able to fill you in 😊 x
This forum in fab though lots of useful info x
My MDT was with a group of patients having wls, it’s long and depending on how much research you’ve done you can learn a little, you can also take someone with you

Jessyrose

Hiya hunny, have you had surgery yet? I’ve got my last tier 3 appointment at Luton on January 25th with a dietician and consultant. She said that’s when a decision will be made and I’ve already got funding. Just trying to get an idea of what time of year I’m looking at. Xxx