• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi im new how pain full is gastric bypass

sewingbelle56

i am new to all this blogging and such ,
i am hoping to have a gastric bypass with dr ammori in manchester in july /aug 09 dependant on how fast my remorgage comes through .
can i ask what sort of recoverry period have different people had as i work for my self and its a concern.
ive had my appendix out a few years ago and it didnt bother me at all and womens gyny things just slowed me for a day were they said take it easy for a week.
also told i might need a hysterectomy any thoughts on postponing it for a year till ive lost weight or get all done within a few months of each other

hi i really did have much pain after my bypass more uncomfortable than anything but everyone is diffrent,i was up and almost back to normal in 2 weeks x x x good luck WELCOME TO MINIS

thanks for info on pain

i am sat here close to tears i just hope i look as good and happy as you do a year from now . people know i have put on weight its hard to miss but only a few know how unhappy and scared of having a heart attack and dying like my dad did. i feel like i have a bomb inside of me.

i felt the same way evert time i had to run after the kids i thought i would die as i could not breath,my bypass was the start of a whole new life for me and my family, and it will be for you to .nobody under stands how unhappy and scared you feel when your so over weight unless you have been there thats why minis is great everyone understands and wants to help GOODLUCK I HOPE IT HAPPENS SOON FOR YOU X X X

Hi there, welcome to minis, it really is the place to find out anything and get advice and support! I didnt suffer much pain after my bypass, mainly wind pain as if you have laparascopic they fill u up with it! But I would agree with Sarah and say 2 weeks recovery, dependant on what you do.
Good luck with it all and keep posting xxxxx

hi belle, im a bander but i just wanted to say welcome to minis and good luck with your bypass op.

liz x

Hi Belle

I had Basil Ammori do my bypass in August last year, like yourself i'm also self employed and taking time of work costs me money.
Basil Ammori operates laproscopically, therefore the recovery time is very short, and i had no pain at all post op other than a bit of wind, i ended up taking 3 weeks of work, but really only needed to take 2.
Basil Ammori is a very accomplished surgeon, his post operative success rate is very high, and i've not known anyone here on mins have any problems post op under him.

He's one of the best, your in very safe hands, plus he's a really nice guy.

hi and welcome to minis it really does depend on you and te type of job you do, but I felt very little pain and took no pain killers from about a week afterwards. I can't comment on time off from work as this isn't a problem for me, but I'm nearly 4 weeks and still get the odd twinge if I sit or move funny or try and pick something up that maybe I shouldn't.

thanks for the reply , i cant wait for next week when the morgage is approved i am booking another consultation with dr ammori and seting the op date my sons birthday is july 4 and his party is on the 11th but if i don't book the 6july op date i think i have to wait untill after 15 august (dr ammori is on holiday). thats another reason for wanting to know how long people were laid up for or am i just being selfish not waiting till aug
i have been surfing the site everyone seams really nice and the pics that are posted all show happiness which is the main thing .

i think i will be ok with the pain i have a neck injury that can be v bad which causes me a lot of daily pain but the operations ive had havent bothered me at all so i am not sure if ive got a high tollerance to pain or a low one,
my job is on my feet for most of the day or up and down every 5 mins normally i stand i have an embroidery business but there is no lifting just standing and computor work , my husband and eldest son are slaves for any lifting

I had trapped wind which I found really uncomfortable. It cleared after about 4 days. I was very sick for the first week and found taking enough fluids difficult. I am beginning - 3 weeks post op - to now feel more human, although i now have a wound infection. I have been suprised at how long it's taken for me to feel better. Everyone is different, but remember regardless of anyone elses experiences, this is major surgery and it will take your body time to recover, so give it time. x x

Great thread, I feel better knowing I could be painfree in a few weeks this has put a smile on my face. I won't get ahead tho i know it's major surgery! Hope your feeling better soon ladybird gal.
-Sewingbelle congratulations on your morgage been approved and good luck! x

Hi Sewing Belle
Welcome to minis. I am having a gastric bypass with Mr Ammori on the 7th Aug in Spire Manchester. I met him last month and he explained he was on hol until beg of Aug but i'm happy to wait as i think he is def one of the best at what he does. You are not selfish in any way but i would say Mr Ammori is def worth waiting for after all i'm travelling 220 miles to get him ha ha . Good luck with your journey xx

Hi Belle

I had virtually no pain and chucked the pain killers after 4 days - was advised to go back to work after 4 weeks but was ready after 3 - it varies from person to person. I had no sickness and minor wind which peppermint tea took care of. Good luck and chin up.

HiYa and welcome to minis, You will love it here,
I had Mr Ammori do my bypass and it was plain saling, He was such a lovely man and is Highly rccomended, It took me about 2 weeks to feel back to normal, but I wasn't in pain at all, Just uncomfortable at times.
Wishing you the best of luck on your weightloss journey!

i also had my ammorie. had op thur, home friday, went to play session but didnt take part sat, hoovered sun and was on a training course tue. only took pain killers at night and would have iy all done again tomorrow.
if you had it done on the 6th and you didnt feel brill is there someone for you to call on for your sons birthday?

I'm going to be totally honest with you... and please know this is not the case for everyone.

If I had known just how much it would hurt, and how long it would hurt for... I don't think I would have gone through with it.

I'm really hoping that once i loose more weight, I will change my mind, and start to forget the pain.

But it was the single worst moment of my life.

Im almost 4 weeks post op. I still have the odd twinge.
But mainly I feel sick all of the time. Not like im going to throw up, I just feel sick.

But I had it done - and I am so glad its done, but I don't think i was prepared for how badly it would hurt.

Having said all this, I had no pain releif after i left the hospital as i have an allergic reaction to the paracetamol they give you (its basically calpol 6+) and tramadol makes me throw up.

This is not how it goes with everyone, everyone is diff... I just wanted to be honest with you.

.x.

Doesn't seem fair does it? Some fly through, others seem to struggle. It will be worth it in the end though. Nevertheless, I think everyone's story helps build a picture (warts and all!) for those of you who have yet to decide what to do. x x x

Hello and welcome to minis Sewingbelle. I haven't had the surgery hoping to hear on Friday whether the pct will fund a bypass. Good luck with your journey keep us informed of where you are at.

Back