• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anybody know what the new Criteria is for Funding in Birmingham?

Muffintop83

Hello all!!....After struggling with my weight for so many years now and after seeing my old doctor over and over again i finally went to go see my new GP about A Gastric Bypass and he agreed to get the ball rolling for me!!:D

Ive had my bloods done and i go to get the results with him tomorrow..Im in the Kingstanding area of Brum with a BMI of 53 and im 25st and 8lbs

Ive heard the PCT goalposts keep moving and was wondering if anybody knew what the current criteria was for funding for surgery?...Im suspected to have sleep Apnoea as also have Epilepsy too.......Any pearls of wisdom or anything else no mater how small you can tell me about the process would be greatly received!!

I look forward to keeping you all updated on my journey:thankyou:

Hi lovey welcome and congratulations for getting a Dr, who is prepared to listen to you.
I dont know anything about your question, but i wanted to say hello xxx

Hi im under Walsall pct an there criteria is :
They have a BMI ≥ 45 kg/m2 and diabetes, or a BMI ≥ 50 kg/m2 and at least one of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, Hypertension, diabetes or Dyslipidaemia;
Patients without one of these four co-morbidities will not be eligible for surgery under NHS Walsall standard criteria.

Hiya, Your PCT is BEN and I believe the new criteria is BMI 50 plus a co-morbidity. The dietician at Walsall told me this in September when she was telling me I wouldn't get surgery. It's a huge hike from the previous BMI 36 plus a co-morbidity. I think you'll be fine for funding-and I've been lucky as I was referred before they changed the criteria and they are honouring the old criteria.
You can choose from Walsall or Heartlands and need to discuss that with the doctor. Mine didn't know that and referred me to Walsall who have a massive waiting list. I don't know how long the wait is at Heartlands but it's worth finding out.
Best of luck with your journey

WOW things are getting tough out there.

hi I dont know the new criteria but if you do get it and have a choice then go for Hartlands as they do there bypass keyhole

Richard

Thank you for all your responses...I saw the doctor this morning and my blood tests come back fine....He filled out a referral form for Walsall Mannor Hospital team and will send it out today.....Now if i wasn't eligible would he have just told me i couldn't have the surgery and not send the referral or is he just the messenger and if im not eligible would the hospital itself tell me?....I read in the PCT info handbook the PCT sent me that there is exceptional cases where funding may be given...I wonder what these may be?

I was told it would be Walsall mannor Hospital i would be referred to as thats my catchment area although i would be quite happily sliced up if i thought i could just get the procedure done!

Spose its just the waiting game now...Arghhh im so impatient!

Back