• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi im new how pain full is gastric bypass

Now I am 6 weeks post op, had a gastric bypass at York Hospital on 30th April 2009..
I had open surgery as they did the gallbladder removal and hernia fix.

I was 4 days in hospital...they said expect 7 days but I had it in my mind to be home as soon as I could.
Day of op I was first on list and was 6 and half hours long..
I was then brought back to HDU yes drain from my 12 inch opening it was longer as my hernia was bigger than expected.
Morphine on demand by a button as epidural was not sighted too painful...Day 1...sleep...morphine and they did xray to check for leaks....Drain out day 2....caphitar out day 2 as I was next to loo and wanted to do it on my own...dragging morphine drip with me...On liquids and soup....Day 3 asked to go on normal ward because I was in a mixed bay and wanted to feel better....folk around me were really ill...on puree...York dont mess about they get you on to foods quite soon...off morphine onto codein
Day 4 ...asked if I wanted to go home and just have district nurses visit with contact number...I was thrilled

Day 5 wished I had not come home so early felt uncomfortable but glad to be home with family...

Day 7 stiches out....but infection in staples....then from day 7 to 14 nurses came to check me every other day and staples out then cut opened at top with infection so antibiotics and dressings checked daily by day 21 all healed....

mobile about the house but not up for walking more than 3/4 of an hour twice a day...with my dog...lucky I work from home.....

my delays have been due to open surgery and other bits done at same time....weight loss is great...eating...well chewing food now and slowly introducing foods....

Not had any dumping or sickness ...YET....

Hope this helps...I see loads having keyhole and quick recovery..lucky people....my open surgery was rather complicated but I SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL......

I have no regrets...just so excitted to see the weight go and my new life begin...

Its not easy....but worth it.........

Juni

Hi Belle, welcome to MIni's. I really hope you have the op soon and that you get little pain and that you can start to feel happier in yourself.
x

Hi

I am a bander but I need a hysterectomy too, however was told I could not have it until I had lost 4 stone, the op is far riskier the heavier you are. Personally I would delay the hysterectomy until you have lost some weight, the fitter you are the quicker you will recover. Good luck, hope you get your remortgage sorted soon!

Maz x

I'm going to be totally honest with you... and please know this is not the case for everyone.

If I had known just how much it would hurt, and how long it would hurt for... I don't think I would have gone through with it.

I'm really hoping that once i loose more weight, I will change my mind, and start to forget the pain.

But it was the single worst moment of my life.

Im almost 4 weeks post op. I still have the odd twinge.
But mainly I feel sick all of the time. Not like im going to throw up, I just feel sick.

But I had it done - and I am so glad its done, but I don't think i was prepared for how badly it would hurt.

Having said all this, I had no pain releif after i left the hospital as i have an allergic reaction to the paracetamol they give you (its basically calpol 6+) and tramadol makes me throw up.

This is not how it goes with everyone, everyone is diff... I just wanted to be honest with you.

.x.

Hi - You didn't say in your reply (above) who did your op and weather you were opened for the slice and dice or closed and done laproscopically, as that makes a lot of difference !

Sorrrrrrry!!!! im a total spoon sometimes

I was done at leeds leeds nuffield privately, i had it done using key hole and it was done by prof McMahon

.x.

hi thanks again for the replys
i think i will wait a while if doc says ok for hysterectomy to be put on hold, as long as my test results are not showing anything nasty i can put up with womens problems for another year if i can have my bypass soon.
i have been a bear with a sore head chasing my remortgage at the bank to day i was close to tears with frustration the paper works not been sorted yet. i am scarred i will jinks my self if i book my next appointment with dr ammori before the moneys definate, but i want to get going.
a sales person cold calling got my frustrations and disaproval and asked not to bother me for 6 months before i managed to calm down (normally its only my husband i stress on ) i feel quite guily and i might send my appologuises by email but this women rings all the time she really drives me nutts i just am not good at being firm and saying only ring me every few months not 2-3 weeks well not before today
to the ladies who had the hysterectomy which was worse the band /bypass or the hysterectomy?
i am going to have to do some research on the hysterctomy i had to leave the hospital before the dr could tell me the any details on it and why i needed it as my kids were inthe car with my husband and it was nearly 8 at night so my gp is to fill me in next week

thanks again sewingbelle

hi im having my bypass done bye dr ammorie at salford royal hopefully very soon ,i was told about easter but im still here wating , but never mind my day will come hes a lovely man and all the praise ive heard on here about him is giving me confidence , i hope everything goes great for you

Back