• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi!! Wrap or sleeve??? Arrggghhh....

shaba

Hi everyone. Have been lurking for ages and despite making the occasional post, have only just found the courage to introduce myself! :)
Before my consultation I was determined to have the plication (wrap) but the consultant suggested that the sleeve might also be an option. I hadn't even considered it as my BMI is around 33 so didn't think I would be considered for it (btw I'm only just over 5 foot :p) so that has set the cat among the pigeons.
Am now torturing myself trying to make a decision about which surgery to have.
A little background...I'm 42, am a nurse and I'm sick of feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. Have tried numerous diets, with various degrees of success but you guessed it, have put the weight on and more. After a wake up call about my health last year, I am determined to make some lifelong changes. So that's where I am....
I know no one can make the decision regarding which surgery to have but me but I'm struggling. Will get there in the end though. ;)
shaba x

Sorry you're struggling, think it is the same dilemma many of us face, the pros and cons of wrap vs sleeve. I am due for surgery Sept 3rd and have booked wrap, but sleeve was definitely a contender. If you write down a pros/cons list it might become clearer for you. Did your provider think you would do better with the sleeve and if so, why?

Doubts are natural given the newness of the plication procedure, particularly in this country. Dr Talebpour, the originator of the wrap has published a paper based on his 12 year experience.

Sleeve removes part of stomach fundus, reducing intrinsic factor and possibly Vit B12 absorbtion. For this reason, some suggest it is better at controlling hunger. I have also read that appetite hormones are more complex than that and it is actually pressure on stomach walls that is more important for appetite control.

Some suggest that the sleeve has a metabolic effect that wrap doesn't have, but don't know how true this is. Didn't investigate further, because I don't have diabetes or PCOS. My comorbs are hypertension (stroke at 42) and arthritis (knee pain), so hope simple weight loss via wrap will help with these.

Both are fairly safe, though there are slightly lower complication risks with wrap, especially of the most feared leak.

Nausea more common early on with the wrap than sleeve, though this usually resolves itself as stomach heals.

Easier to control size of pouch with sleeve (bougie) than wrap.

Wrap cheaper because less complex equipment used, eg. no stapler.

Slightly bigger scar with sleeve, because excised part of stomach has to be removed, though other scars for trocars etc. the same.

I'm sure if you ask questions on here about the areas you are most interested in, it will help your decision. To me, this is all part of the research process, thought I have been told this is a support site and NOT for research. Good luck with your decision and surgery, whatever you choose :)

I can't help as the wrap wasn't an option on the NHS. They both seem a good option though. Why did your surgeon recommend a sleeve over a wrap? I love my sleeve by the way :)

I would speak to your surgeon, or email him asking which he recommends and why - rather than trying to second guess him!

I had a wrap 16 months ago and it has been amazing. I was nearly 24 stone ,I am now at goal of 11 stone. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I can say that hand on heart that my whole experience was fabulous!!

It depends what your eating habits are like tbh. The wrap literally just limits food, but you have to work very hard with it to lose what you need to without falling back into bad habits. The sleeve restricts food but also is much harder to stretch as the stomach has been removed. Look into it a bit more, do loads of research. All we can do on here is give our experiences but its different for everyone so might not be what your looking for. We are also biased towards our own surgeries so getting your information independently and neutrally will help you make a better decision xx

I would definatly say do your research and dont rush ... it took me almost 2 years to finally have my surgery. I was set on a band until I was on youtube one day and found plication vlogs ... so I read alot of articles and decided on a wrap .....

Chat to your surgeon also and explain your worries :) xx

ah - there you are :p

Hope you find some info that lets you decide what to do. You know where I am if you ever want to chat - whichever you choose xxxxx

I had the wrap- I'm a scaredy cat at heart and didn't fancy having part of my stomach cut away. Very pleased so far- and absolutely no pain whatsoever after my op even though I had my gall bladder removed too! Good luck with your decision.

Back