• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi!!!!

Karen Leek

A big hello. I have just attended my seminar explaining the 3 types of surgery that Heartlands carry out and I'm confused as which one to pick between band and sleeve any feedback would be appreciated. I have my meeting with the surgeon on 6 April.

Hello Karen and welcome to the site. We are a merry band of people all of us at different stages in the pathway and someone, somewhere will have advice for you. I choose to have a gastric band op done privately 10 years ago and in all honesty, I should have had it removed a long time ago. It doesn't suit me and it hasn't worked for me but the follow up was non-existent and I just put up and shut up.

I am now in the NHS system and having a band removal and gastric bypass at Luton & Dunstable on 25th April. My surgeon asked me if I wanted a sleeve or a bypass and because I made such a bad decision 10 years ago I referred to his expertise. He said for me, as I already have reflux and am on meds for it, a bypass would be better. However, read up on all the options and then ask your surgeon what his/her advice is. I hope other people give you some feedback.

SJ xx

Hello Karen and welcome to the site. We are a merry band of people all of us at different stages in the pathway and someone, somewhere will have advice for you. I choose to have a gastric band op done privately 10 years ago and in all honesty, I should have had it removed a long time ago. It doesn't suit me and it hasn't worked for me but the follow up was non-existent and I just put up and shut up.

I am now in the NHS system and having a band removal and gastric bypass at Luton & Dunstable on 25th April. My surgeon asked me if I wanted a sleeve or a bypass and because I made such a bad decision 10 years ago I referred to his expertise. He said for me, as I already have reflux and am on meds for it, a bypass would be better. However, read up on all the options and then ask your surgeon what his/her advice is. I hope other people give you some feedback.

SJ xx
Thanks SJ. I am starting to find it all a little overwhelming to be honest. I appreciate your comments. I will continue reading up on it and have a good chat to the surgeon next week. Good luck with the bypass, keep us posted xx

Hello and welcome Karen, I would advice plenty of research but although I have an idea what I would like I'm waiting to see what my surgeon suggests and why, I guess your going down the NHS route as I am, I haven't met my surgeon yet (my tier 3 assessment was for 1 year which finishes this June) so im not sure how much say we actually have in it, I will pre warn you that there are lots of hoops to jump through when going with the NHS but I'm not sure that's a bad thing really and in my case it was the only option.
Good luck with your journey and please keep in touch

A big hello. I have just attended my seminar explaining the 3 types of surgery that Heartlands carry out and I'm confused as which one to pick between band and sleeve any feedback would be appreciated. I have my meeting with the surgeon on 6 April.
Hi Karen I hope everything goes OK with the surgeon.

Hi. Had meeting with surgeon. I am going to take part in the By-Band-Sleeve study so i will be randomly allocated one of the three. I will know which one in two weeks!

Hi. Had meeting with surgeon. I am going to take part in the By-Band-Sleeve study so i will be randomly allocated one of the three. I will know which one in two weeks!
Hill. Karen i'm also taking part in the By-band-Study there's not a lot to it. Who's your surgeon? My surgeon Mr Richard Singhal.

Hill. Karen i'm also taking part in the By-band-Study there's not a lot to it. Who's your surgeon? My surgeon Mr Richard Singhal.
Hi

Think we have the same surgeon. Met with him last week and he advised that in two weeks I would know which procedure I had been allocated to yikes!!!! Do you know yet what you have been allocated to?

Yeah first it was the Gastric Bypass,it's been changed to the Mini Bypass. Have you got your date yet? My date has changed to the 12/5.x

I was worried about doing the by-band study because i really didn't want the gastric band. I'm on the waiting list at heartlands too but opted to have the gastric bypass if possible. My surgeon there is Mr Nijjar. He seems nice enough and said he would agree to give me a bypass but might have to change it to a sleeve if he has trouble maneuvering my intestines. So i wont know what i've had until my op is over which worries me a bit. Just the not knowing more than anything. Both ops have their pros and cons.

I was worried about doing the by-band study because i really didn't want the gastric band. I'm on the waiting list at heartlands too but opted to have the gastric bypass if possible. My surgeon there is Mr Nijjar. He seems nice enough and said he would agree to give me a bypass but might have to change it to a sleeve if he has trouble maneuvering my intestines. So i wont know what i've had until my op is over which worries me a bit. Just the not knowing more than anything. Both ops have their pros and cons.
I'm sure it will all be fine!, not long now then?? Keep us updated. I should hear what I have been chosen for soon.

up to 6 months i was told the waiting list was but that was 14th of Feb so i guess im two months down! :) i have an appointment with my dietitian on the 27th of this month so i will be interested to see if she has any news :) I will definitely be keeping everyone updated, i dont think theres any way i could keep it to myself i'd go completely crazy lol good luck, i hope you're happy with your choice. Is there a surgery you would prefer to have more than the others?

Hi Victoria. Fingers crossed you get a date soon. I am waiting for an appointment in early May at which time I will be advised which procedure I'm due to have. To be honest, I am not too concerned which one I am chosen for, just desperate for a date now so I can get my mind in the zone and looking forward to a new slimmer me!!! :)

Well, good news!! been chosen for a Sleeve Gastrectomy via the By-Band-Sleeve randomised trial. I have been told it will be October at the earliest, maybe Christmas, but hoping it will be earlier!!

That's good news so at least you know whats coming up and fingers crossed for a speedier date.

Hi Karen
I had my bypass done 2.5 weeks ago (not via the trial) as I was advised it was the best option for me but still on the morning of the op my surgeon Mr Jain said that if he had problems he would revert to a sleeve Gastrectomy. I think its what most of them tell you about in case all does not go smoothly. However, I haven't yet come across anybody who went on for a bypass but had the sleeve instead. When's your next appointment due?

SJ x

Hello and welcome x

Back