• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Holiday in 5 week - To aspirate or not?

mrsstreet

Hi all,

I wonder if you could give me some advice. I am off on a long haul flight in 5 weeks (10.5 hours eeeek)

I currently have 6.4ml in my 10ml band and I feel a decent level of restriction. I have read posts about people having a small de-fill before holiday. In all honesty, I would prefer not to, I would have had my band only 6 months and whilst, I have made significant changes, I do not trust myself around the portions and variety of food in Vegas not to undo a lot of hard work.

However, I am a nervous flier (claustrophobia rather than the fear of flying - had a panic attack on a flight once and so I think it's a conditioned feeling)

The good news is I will be 3.5stone down +

But I want to know - what does a tight band feel like on a flight?

Will I be able to drink? - I mean water obvs!!! I swell like a balloon if I don't keep hydrated.

If you were me.... would you get a slight de-fill?

Laura x

Hi, ive just retuned from my 3rd flight from turkey since may,,,,,,i too was worried about flying , but it was fine,,,,,, i had. Something to eat before the flight, then on the flight i had a coffe and a cuppasoup,,,,, i have the same restriction as you , i felt fine,,,,,,just stick to liquids or a yogurt and youl be fine,,,,hope you have a good holiday xxx ruby

I've just flown for the first time with my band, and actually contacted my provider who advised this

We do not usually advise patients to have their band aspirated before they fly, unless there is an element of over restriction or past experience of problems.

As your email states there are no issues, I would advise to leave your band unadjusted.
Occasionally there can be some bubble formation in the saline at cabin pressure. This can result in the band feeling tighter than usual.
To minimise the risk of any difficulty I advise the following :
· Have fluids only for 3 hours prior to flying. Avoid any fizzy drinks or alcohol.
· Continue with fluids as above for the duration of your flight.
· Once you are back on land and if all feels as it should- begin with a light diet and progress to your normal intake gradually.
· If you find there is an element of over restriction, then continue with fluids until things settle down.

bearing in mind, this is only my provider, but I didn't want a defill. As it was, I actually ate 2 hours before flying as we had to wait ages for our food lol but was fine on the flight. When I saw the provider on tuesday she actually said as a nurse she advises no food 2 hours before, fluids only on flight and for 2 hours after.

But, I have almost non existent restriction and no issues with any food, so certainly didn't have any probs flying either way. (Although I did have fun putting the table down and sliding it closer because for the first time since I was 16 I could LOL)

Thanks for your replies.

We have the same provider TopKat, I asked them and they said leave it up to how I feel nearer the time, but the next clinic is in 2 weeks and they wont have another until I am back, so it's also a bit early I think. But I like what they have emailed you and it makes me feel better hopping aboard without the de-fill.

I really really cant wait to be able to put the table down!!! I can only imagine the fun you had with that :)

I'll also be looking forward to putting the seatbelt on without the hubby to jam me in and clip it closed - I actually always travelled with a seatbelt extender I bought as I would be mortified to ask for one - I have just recently thrown it away and I couldn't have been happier!!

Thanks again x

I didn't realise your provider was healthier weight too?

I had fun with the belt too, I have my own extender so I dont have to ask, but the normal one not only did I get it on, I had to shrink it loads and then I kept taking it on and off and nudging my son LOL

Yes I went with Healther Weight too :) I was banded in the Nuffield Southampton.

Oh I will be doing the exact same - mine wont shrink as much as yours at all, but even an inch and I'll be showing off!

ah right thats why I didnt recognise the surgeon LOL

But any playing about with belts is always good. I even took my belt "just in case" Why Im not quite sure lol

I wish i'd known you could buy seatbelt extenders - I've not been on a plane for 6 years, simply because I could barely get the seat belt done up on my last flight and I vowed I would die of embarrassment at not being able to use a normal seat belt. On that same holiday, had a very close/scary experience on a ride at one of the disney parks - got on ride, everybody putting belts on and couldn't get mine done up - at last minute took a big breath in, did belt up and managed to get through ride but have never been more uncomfortable in my life!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I did long haul (Florida) 8 months after being banded 6.75ml in 10ml with some restriction and was totally fine, ate before during and after (mainly softs on plane) drank plenty of water too and had no problems what so ever x

Useful information thank you. I have flown to Cyprus twice with my current restriction (6.6mls) and last year I flew to Florida but with .6mls less in my band. I'm due to go to Sri Lanka in 7 days and am flying via Dubai so was a little concerned about the long haul flight. I tried calling THG a couple of weeks ago but kept getting the answering service telling me they were busy and to call again so took it as a sign I didn't need a defill LOL :)
Thanks again.
Crazy Lady

Back