• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Holiday soon after bypass x

loulabelle79

Hi... I've got a holiday abroad booked for the end of March next year and am looking at January for Op (all being well, but nothing set in stone) I spoke to the nurse about timing and she said as long as I was 6 weeks out I would be fine, I just feel a little anxious about it and I'm just wondering if anybody else has experience of flight/holiday so close to bypassed who could share their experiences and (hopefully) put my mind at rest xx

hi,
i went on holiday 7 and a half weeks after my bypass and was fine.
i was told the same thing - to wait atleast 6 weeks. i also paid for extra leg room seats on the plane as i thought this would make things more comfortable.
one thing to remember, which someone reminded me when i was worrying about it, some people go abroad to have their operations and then fly back home again... so it must be safe.
good luck with the operation and enjoy your holiday :)

Hi I have my op for a Sleeve on the 19th November, going to Egypt on the 5th January 2015. Asked hospital they said it would be fine, but to wear my white stockings and lose clothing. Hope this helps.

I was declined my surgery first time because would you believe my flight was 5 weeks and 6 days after surgery doh!! They said they want 6 clear weeks. To be honest I wasn't bothered about waiting anyways we were going to the US so didn't want to be too tired when I was there plus we got married there so had my dress all sorted and had paid for alterations and didn't want to have to pay again for all that so it worked out for me in the end.

Don't worry though they would definitely tell you if it was too close to your surgery! X

That's what I thought people fly home from having surgery abroad but then again they have different guidelines abroad to over here. Noway would I have been able to do that after my bypass lol

Against advice from my team I went abroad 2 weeks post op - just from London to Mallorca. I got it signed off by my GP and she said as long as I wore the compression stockings on the flight and moved about she was ok with it but not to do anything longer than a 2 hour flight...

I needed the sunshine to recover. Laying around in London was destroying me but being in the sun did the trick. I did struggle with food but took a big tin of protein powder with me and then had tomato soup for every meal when we were out. It got boring but it was ok.

I also went away again a couple of months later once I was on solids and again, the food was tricky. I found some protein bars and nuts which I stocked up on to keep me going.

My advice to you is make sure you're prepared! You'll be wiped out energy wise and you'll need to be with supportive people who understand this. You'll also need to make sure you have enough protein to keep you going and a little forward planning is needed as well as timetables etc... e.g tell your travel buddies you NEED dinner by 6pm each night or you NEED an afternoon nap each day etc...

Against advice from my team I went abroad 2 weeks post op - just from London to Mallorca. I got it signed off by my GP and she said as long as I wore the compression stockings on the flight and moved about she was ok with it but not to do anything longer than a 2 hour flight... I needed the sunshine to recover. Laying around in London was destroying me but being in the sun did the trick. I did struggle with food but took a big tin of protein powder with me and then had tomato soup for every meal when we were out. It got boring but it was ok. I also went away again a couple of months later once I was on solids and again, the food was tricky. I found some protein bars and nuts which I stocked up on to keep me going. My advice to you is make sure you're prepared! You'll be wiped out energy wise and you'll need to be with supportive people who understand this. You'll also need to make sure you have enough protein to keep you going and a little forward planning is needed as well as timetables etc... e.g tell your travel buddies you NEED dinner by 6pm each night or you NEED an afternoon nap each day etc...
Thanks that's great .... We're going to the Dominican Republic so should have a few option and will keep in mind about the protein powder/bars depending where I'm at :) x

Back