• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Homerton Pre-surgery Check -What to expect?

kurvykaren

Hi Guys
I'm hoping someone who's had bypass surgery at Homerton Hospital can let me know what to expect at my pre-surgery check appointment?
My op is 21 Feb and my appt is 21 Jan - next Friday.
I attended the preparing for surgery group session in December - I had lost a bit of weight then, about 11 pounds, but fear that I've put on about 7lbs over Christmas and New Year - I've got a week to be really strict to lose it - will they check my weight again? Could it affect my surgery!?
Any help or advice would be great - thanks Guys!

Hi I had my bypass at Homerton. They weigh you at every appointment and you will give you a pre op diet to follow. They are quite strict so you need to follow it carefully. You need to get your liver so it doesn't stop your surgery which is mainly the reason for pre op diet

Hi Karen, as you know I was Homerton too. My pre op appointment was about 20 days befor my surgery, they posted me the pre op diet sheets a couple of weeks prior to that and suggested that I follow the pre op diet for 204 weeks. I ended up doing it fir about 20 days. They give you a choice of 2 diets, namely milk, slim fast or low cal low carbs to shrink the liver, i did the milk.

The appt was very straight forward and basically to check/ confirm that u are fit for surgery. They weighed me took my Blood pressure, which was high, hence they sent me off to my dr's to increase my meds prior to surgery as elevvated BP would cause them to cancel the surgery. They also sent me off for MORE blood tests.

Then a general chat with the nurse about what to expect on the day and during surgery.

My weight loss was on target but she stressed the importance of following the pr op diet.

that was about it really, dont worry u and hubby will be fine. excited for u both.

Thanks so much. I am excited but I think the nerves are slowly edging in - more that they could cancel, but I'm hoping as it's not a hospital with an A&E they won't have any emergency surgery to bump us off the list!
I was a bit worried about the little weight gain that I had but I'm positive if I have a good week next week I'll get passed that!
I'll keep you updated. xx

Thanks so much. I am excited but I think the nerves are slowly edging in - more that they could cancel, but I'm hoping as it's not a hospital with an A&E they won't have any emergency surgery to bump us off the list!
I was a bit worried about the little weight gain that I had but I'm positive if I have a good week next week I'll get passed that!
I'll keep you updated. xx

They do have an A & E - I ended up there one weekend when I was having really bad stomach pains - was glad they did as they had all my bariatric notes. The A & E is just to left of the main entrance.

I too went to Homerton, Stellap and Zionaka are right; the pre-op liver shrinkage is the major deciding factor. If your liver is too big they won't complete the operation as it'd be too dangerous.

Unfortunately the only way for them to tell your liver size, is to open you up:(.

My weight fluctuated and I wasn't at my lightest weight on either the pre-surgery check or the day of my op.

Best advice is - as long as you stay motivated you'll be fine.

Thanks Poppycorn.
I've been obsessing a bit this week with weighing myself every morning and its done up and down between 7lbs over the past 4 days (mind you it was totm)!

aawww good luck to you both and might see you in there only two days behind you xxx

hi all.
this is my first post, have been reading through the threads and have to say thanks for putting my mind at rest on a lot of things! I have my pre-op assessment on Tues and was a little nervous but feel better now! Yvonne & Karen - my op is scheduled for 22nd Feb at Homerton so hope to see you both there. Good luck to us all on the pre-op diet!!
Ange

Back