• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone clued up on the process at Homerton?

Ana_RW

Hello, I'm new to this forum and cant believe its taken so long for me to get onto here!
I posted a looong blog earlier a bit about me and my journey so far.

i was just wondering if anyone knew the process at Homerton University Hospital. I am 13 months since referred by gp and 7 months since been having appointments at Homerton.

No one has actually told me that I have been approved for surgery but, I keep getting talked to about the surery date.

Anyway this is a list of what's happend so far:
31st Sept 2011 Two appointments - Met with a dietician I believe; went over eating habits past and present, family history, 5%/10% weightloss targets. Met Mr Koak again talking about history, family, why, eating, diets etc suggested I go for a bypass not a band advised next stage was multidisicplinary team meeting but I tick all the boxes on meeting my pct requirements. Attended group session about all different types of surgeries, diet after. Had blood tests.
5th December 2011 - After being postponed a couple of times MDT meeting went ahead - felt it was best to see the psychology team.
17th February 2012 - Had an intense 1 hour session with female pschyatrist, suggested I didnt need counselling for binge eating but would refer me to another group meeting at St Anne's, which I volunteered for - later to find out I was out of jurisdiction.
16th April 2012 - Group session with psychologist Dr Nick Hawkes - only two of us were present. Weigh in good result over 5% target aiming for 10%
17th May 2012 - Emailed Diane b (co-ordinator) to ask for update she said aslong as Nick says everything ok on review app get him to pass my notes on to her for a surgery date!!!:eek::rolleyes::D
19th May 2012 - Letter arrives for a pre surgery follow up appointment - preparing for surgery. No surgery date
21st May 2012 - Review appointment with Nick Hawkes - agreed all ok and explained Diane said to pass on notes he emailed her then and there.
23rd May 2012 - Emailed Diane to ask what the appointment on the 31st is for and she answered its for about an hour in the Matthew Duncan Seminar Room.
31st May 2012 - Clinician/Team: Bariatrics Preparing for Surgery for a Pre-Surgery Follow up appointment.

Anyone have the slightest idea where I could be at? Lol or any one had this appointment that I'm scheduled for tomorrow?

Thanks in advance
Best Wishes to all x

Hi, just wanted to say Welcome! Often new posts don't get noticed or they take a while to pass a moderator :)

Hi I'm Chris I'm afraid i am of no help to you I am from the North East, but welcome and hope you get your dilemma sorted out soon. xx

Hi and welcome.
A friend of mine had her bypass at the homerton and all I know is it took her ages before she had surgery, I think from referral from gp it took 3 years before she got surgery, they kept giving her different diets she like you had loads of appointments. It's almost like they think if they keep giving you appointments your think your getting closer. But I know she got annoyed by it all. But she had her op (bypass) in feb 2010, at 23.6 stone and is now 9.2 stone. So it's worth the weight.
Sorry it's not much but when I see her next I will ask her.

hi ana, i am having my surgery done at homerton in 10 days, the process i went through was a little different to yours as i didnt have to see psych as i had done so through my work before hand

so from start to finish, referred by gp for the 3rd time and finally offered an appt. for oct 11, there i met the multi disciplinary team, had group sess and bloods, waited for notification took around 5 months called them in feb this year was told surgery had been agreed providing i could lose 5%, which i told them i had so had a follow up appt. in march and was told at that appt. that i would recieve a date within 2 days, got a call with my date, next recieved a letter for pre op assessment in april, met surgical team had bloods ecg and mrsa swabs done aswell as weight and bp, then had another group sess regarding admission and pre op diets and stuff, and thats where i am now, it sounds to me like u r waiting for a date, i would call them on monday and see what they say. i

23rd May 2012 - Emailed Diane to ask what the appointment on the 31st is for and she answered its for about an hour in the Matthew Duncan Seminar Room.
this could be ur in pre admission group sess and if it is u r pretty much there, i know that they were giving out dates for the middle of july, so fingers crossed, u wont have pre op assessment till around 2-4 weeks prior to surgery, if i am honest i was like a fly in there ear i wouldnt go away, always on the phone to them so they were always aware of me x

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I was starting to feel a bit left out lol!

Anyway great news!! I had my appointment on the 31/05/12.
It was a group session for just over an hour and it was with a dietician and a nutritionist (Laura I think and Cleverly). Basically going over a bit of what we did at the first appointment. Expected diet after surgery, dumping syndrome, foods that might not be able to eat, physical activity guide lines etc etc.
There were 6 in the group and I was the youngest, again! Not one of us had received a date for surgery yet but, one lady said she received a letter week before stating that they aim to give her a date between June-August!! Oh my I hope I get that letter! I actually asked the nutritionist about my case, I explained that no one has actually told me that yes I have been approved for surgery and that attending all these appointments I just presumed I had. Thankfully she has put me out of my misery and informed me that I am literally just waiting for a surgery date!! My funding was APPROVED a while ago!! Excellent! Nice to be told lol
I contacted Diane Busche via email the next day and asked if she could give me any rough idea of how long I'd have to wait she replied with "With regard to timeframe for surgery we are now booking July and August but please be aware that during the Olympics we are assuming it will be easier for more local patients to be booked for surgery"
I was ecstatic with that news!!
Waiting everyday for a letter for 12 days is not easy lol. On Monday 11th I had a withheld number on my mobile - ignored it. Then the land line rung and it was witheld - let it ring to answer phone. It was Diane!!! On the answer machine I heard "Hi Ana its Diane from homerton, can you please call me as soon as possible I have left a message on your mo...." I picked up, made up an excuse that I had not quite made it to the phone in time. She said to me that a date for surgery had come up and because i had done so well with weightloss it would be the 25th of ju...( i thought she was going to say July!!) JUNE. The 25TH JUNE 2012!!!! Also gave an appointment of 11.10am for pre admission on the 22nd. I of course said yes that would be great. I was advised an email would be sent over with all bits i need. I accepted gladly and was happy. I told hubby and he was a bit taken aback. I then looked at the calendar again called my mum and she squealed with shock but was happy. Then, I burst into tears. I think that was shock!

After receiving the emails through I read over the pre-op diets. I selected the milk version - I am not keen on milk and when I have it I dont feel like eating. I started that morning of 12th - doing really well so far dont feel at all hungry, head-achey on the 2nd day but that went off, sickness on 3rd day but again gone off.
Also the appointment for pre admissions was not on the 22nd but on the 15th so had that yesterday all ok and been told that all is good to go ahead with surgery. Had group session about pre and post surgery diet and post surgery expectations and got a little pack with info in, met the physiotherapist. Cam home feeling really positive, any worries I had are gone, my pre op diet is so far successful. Had a lot of self thinking time and I now feel strong about my relationship with food (more in another post) I am ready!! Can not wait.

Stubad I bet you cant wait til monday! Thanks for all the details you got back to me with sorry havent replied sooner just been hectic. Best of luck for monday! Keep us posted xx

Congrats. I had my sleeve done at Homerton on 25 feb. Theteam are fantastic there. So supportive. There is a gret support group that meets once a month & today got a yahoo group message so the on line forum has been st up too. I've lost 6 1/2 stones since my op just under 4 months go. Good luck.

no probs, i may still be there when you have your pre op, i will look out for you if i am, i told you it wouldn't be long xxx

Ah well done bellydancer! Thats amzing so pleased for you! I think I shall attend the support groups after surgery, I was thinking about it yesterday. Maybe see you there :wavey: xx

Stubad: Whats the pre-op lol? So far I have no other appointments through, I thought about emailing Diane regarding seeing the surgeon and anesthetist (is this what you're referring too?) xx

yep u will have a pre op assessment, with surgical team and another group session to assess you for anasthesia, no biggy but my advice get there early and ask for blood and ecg forms get them done as early as poss as it takes ages

Blimey I wonder when that will be then. The appointment I had yesterday was in the surgery center upstairs next to the cafe, I had my swabs and blood tests and ecg done yesterday it took forever! Had an appointment at 10.30 got there about 9ish drove around looking for parking for over an hour! Ended up in the library next block along lol oops! Was so worried I was gonna be clamped but wasn't thankfully! Cant believe there isn't a day stay car park.x

Back