• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Homerton the hell hole!

TessG

I am now back from Homerton after having a GAstric sleeve and don't get me wrong I am grateful for it but does being fat mean that i'm supposed to ignore how crap they were?

The surgical team did their bit and so far no problems however....

the ward and toilets/showers were dirty with blood and faeces covered gowns and stockings that were there for days.

I was told I could have pain relief every 2-4 hours and I really needed it! When I requested it however it took up to another 3 hours to arrive. That is 7 hours without pain relief!!!!! They then gave me oral pain relief which I promptly threw up but they didn't help again for another few hours. Even leaving me with dirty sick bowls and vomited on sheets over night.

They didn't manage to sort out my heart and seizure medication and I havn't had any since saturday.

They didn't sort out all meds by the time they discharged me. So they discharged me without everything I needed to get me through. Today I am trying to get hold of a GP (any will do) to get sorted.

They just were disorganised. They said they were short staffed, but even when lots of staff were around they weren't any better.

When my parents (and relatives of other patients on the ward) started to complain they just shrugged and said there was nothing they could do.

I will be making a complaint to the hospital but I was wondering if this was a common problem or just a blip?

Aw babe - You have had a horrendous time there then, all our worst nightmares!

I hope you can get hold of a doctor today who gives you the best help with pain relief.

Well done on getting your surgery, and hope you soon will recover and start to feel much better soon.

Hope you start improving over Christmas hun x

Have a Wonderful 2011 x

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

O my gosh!!!! That's horrific!! I'm so sorry you ve had a horrendous time I'd certaintly be making a complaint!! Disgraceful........can I ask what the pain is like?? Xx

Oh my goodness. Thinking of you and for sure a complaint may help other people, but it's an awful ordeal for you right now... so sorry you have had to go through your surgery in this way... love and hugs precious, we are thinking of you xxx

i dont think it is acceptable for any hospital ward 2 be in that state but a ward were people have had surgery and are at risk of infection its disgusting, they always say they r short staffed what a cop out cuz theres always enough nurses stood round the desk having a gud gossip. iv got a few friends who r nurses and they r gud nurses who run round like blue ar#e flys all day wen they r short staffed but unfortunatly not all nurses r the same, nursing is a caring proffesion and if they r short staffed they shud atleast have the decentcy 2 apologise not just shrug there sholders, so sorry uv had such a bad experience xx

Your experience was dreadful, and you should def. complain. It's simply not good enough.

My daughter is a nurse and I know her and all her nursing colleagues will be appalled at the way things were for you.

Glad you are back home and can get some meds from your gp.

Keep well.

On Sat and Sun the pain was terrible. But I think that was mainly because the pain meds weren't coming on time and what was given obviously wasn't appropriate because I couldn't keep it down.
They have told me to take soluble paracetamol, which when I keep it down, takes about 2 hrs to drink and is slightly fizzy so I have one sat around to go flat, but at least takes away the worst of the pain. I have got hold of a really nice gp and she is going to prescribe my usual meds in a different form but also pain killers in suppository form. That way at least if i am sick, they stay inside me!

I still stand by the belief that this was the best thing to do. But no one should be treated like this!

The ward wasn't just for bariatric patients. So the staff were general nurses not bariatric ones (although I did get to meet one on monday). It was a ward for all sorts of people. One really lovely lady was there because she has a problem with keeping food inside her and absorbing the nutrients. She is already in pain all the time and has a comprimised immune systeme and she was subjected to the same conditions and treatment. Old ladies with obvious dementia type issues shouted all through the night and kept sick people up and awake (more than they would usually have been).

It was just horrendous.

I think my one tip (apart from avoid this place like the plague) would be to ignore them when they say they will sort out your usual meds. Get your GP to do it plus some liquid or suppository pain relief (for when you get home) before you go into hospital. Also don't forget to take some juice and smooth yoghurts. I was told on Sunday that I needed to start 'eating' but wednesday was the first day that anyone gave me any 'food' other than water. Not that you'll feel much like eating!

Sorry you had such a bad time but just try to focus on how great you will feel when the weight starts dropping off. Make a complaint tho cos it may not help you but it could really help others
You will start to feel better with every day that goes by so keep holding on to that thought
Loads of love
JO XX

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible time.
I have to say though that I went to Heartlands in Birmingham and it wasn't much better. Unhelpful staff who told me not to bother pressing the morphine pump, no help with anything...even took them 3 hours to get me a glass of water.
I'm just glad they let me out after one nights stay.
Hope you make a speedy recovery x

So sorry to hear you had such a horrible time, I think you should complain too. It might not help you but it could possibly help a future patient (HUG) XX

I was at the Homerton and had absolutely amazing treatment actually second to none. I would recommend their care to anybody. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones xx

I was at Homerton in October for my op. They were a little unorganised at times but overall it was OK.

oh, and agree about the nurses not being bariatric nurses, hence some of them seemed a little lost as to my immediate post op needs.

Really sad to hear about your experience at Homerton.
I had my op there over a year ago. I think it may depend what ward you are on. The ward I was on had quite a few bariatric patients on. I can't fault the nurses, but I do agree toilets & bathrooms could be cleaner.
The menu can be adjusted so you can ask for clear soup or yoghurt.

I'm having my op there in Feb!! I'm sorry you had such a bad time but I hope it was a one-off, or they've at least cleaned up by the time I get there!

Poor you. It sounds awful. Unfortunately in some regards very similar to my experience in Sunderland.
However, welcome to the Losers' bench, and wishing you a safe and speedy recovery.
Grace xx

Sorry to hear that the care you had was less than substandard. There is no excuse for dirty surroundings, especially on a surgical ward. I would definately complain. Hope you have a better post op experience now you are home.

Rebirthxx

Very very sorry to hear about your experience in Homerton. i am also going to homerton for my surgery and hearing what you have experienced have really put me down. Anyways, atleast you had your surgery done and now will be on the loser's bench. please let us know what happens next as some of who are goin to the sam ehospital can get some ideas about their services.

I didn't mean to scare anyone. Sorry. But I thought that people should know.

Like I said, even with the awful experience, I would still do it again.

I am forming my complaint at the moment. I hope it makes a little bit of difference!?

I had my op a year ago at the Homerton and it was ok then. I was on a general ward them and thought at the time that they should have a bariatric ward as the nurses aren't trained to deal with our needs, but I didn't have to wait for medication or anything else. The Homerton is a teaching hospital so you should definitely complain as these are our future nurses and doctors.

Back