• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Horror Stories

Daisyhappy! said:
Hi, I have my consultation in 2 weeks and I am really excited but while doing my research I've cone across quite a few horror stories, I really don't want to frighten any of you lovely pre oppers, but by horror stories I mean a few deaths. In fairness from what I can gather, the majority were due to underlining conditions but I've just read a story of a woman who was 20 stone and her death was not blamed by the court on the surgery itself but by the fact she was deemed too overweight for it. I'm just under 19 stone so this has me terrified, am I too overweight for anesthesia?
How did all you pre oppers deal with hearing these stories?
Thanks in advance for any replies and I really am sorry for throwing a big negative spanner in the works, scare mongering really isn't my aim here.
X

There's been things on TV where they've operated on people double your weight and they've come through it. Obviously the more you weigh the higher the risk. One of my favourite sayings is "Different People Handle Different Situations In Different Ways." Maybe just this persons body in particular just couldn't cope? I can understand why it unnerves you but just keep positive.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I guess it is what confuses me where the pct's are stopping anyone without co-mobidities from having the ops. They should be doing prevention as well as cure.

I think most people would worry. I had an op at 25st approx this year, and came around fine. So I am telling myself the bypass will go just as well lol...It has to!!lol

kimgkg said:
It will, Fuffs!!!! :) xx

Only just saw this. Thank you :) xxx

Hi Daisy, thank you for asking this question... this has been the primary thing on my mind since deciding I want to have this type of surgery. Everyone's responses have all been a huge source of comfort to me too, thank you :):)

Its not so much the anaesthetic and surgery that scares me, its the horror stories that i have read about years down the line; terrible malabsorption, huge regain, bad GERD, and the 'conspiracy of silence' that surrounds WLS years down the line ie 10-15 years out. You rarely see people this far out on the forums, and i ask myself why? *worried*

Its not so much the anaesthetic and surgery that scares me, its the horror stories that i have read about years down the line; terrible malabsorption, huge regain, bad GERD, and the 'conspiracy of silence' that surrounds WLS years down the line ie 10-15 years out. You rarely see people this far out on the forums, and i ask myself why? *worried*
because they needed the support forums to get through it all and now they have wonderful lives to be getting on with :) xxx

because they needed the support forums to get through it all and now they have wonderful lives to be getting on with :) xxx

To a point i agree, but people get hooked on forums. To see absolutely NO ONE over, say, 5 years out is weird, imo. Granted the sleeve is new, but the bypass, in one form or another, has been around for 40 years!

To a point i agree, but people get hooked on forums. To see absolutely NO ONE over, say, 5 years out is weird, imo. Granted the sleeve is new, but the bypass, in one form or another, has been around for 40 years!

I agree. I have the same concerns as wannabeminime .... but how long has this forum been in existence?

Perhaps one of the forum moderators might know the answer to that question, and if it has only been going 3 or 4 years perhaps that is why there are no members 5+ years post-op ....?

I just had a look at each of the Moderators' profiles and unless any 5 / 10 year post-op mods have left, it does suggest this is a fairly new forum (???):

Neen: joined July 2008, SURGERY: July 2008
WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - The Banders Saturday Weigh In

Mazza: joined 2007, SURGERY: April 2009
WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - My band diary - a healthy BMI in under 2 years!

Tesmaralda: SURGERY: May 2009
WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - When's your birthday?

Sambucca: joined 2007, SURGERY: August 2009
WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - Walsall Masssiiiiiiivvvve

Ditzeeblonde: joined 2008, SURGERY: 2010
WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - The difference a year makes!

Pierce: joined 30 April 2006
WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - Consultant profile field

Was this forum thus created in 2006 ....?

I didnt mean just this forum Sharon, i have looked at others too;).

This forum has been around for about 4-5 years i think! I remember when it was created on Minimins. Minimins was created in 2006, then Pierce created this one a couple of years afterwards. I used the same account, hence the date on my profile. xx

Ah, I see.

Well do let me know about the others if you can (by PM or FB message if you like) .... I am not too aware of many other forums, especially not forums that *should* have established members over 5 or 10 years post op.

Would be interested to know -- thanks! :p

Although I will make it clear (for the mods or anyone else) I only want to take part in THIS forum -- I am not looking to defect or anything (!) ...... just curious ...... I don't have enough time in the day to become an active member of more than one WLS forum !!!

I certainly chat to many people who are more than 5 years out , and some 10 years out on another forum that I visit . Also remember that forums and access to the internet in general were not common place when the long termers had their ops so they are less likely to use the forums as they weren't about when they most needed support. Although a few people have problems a lot of people don't. My weight related problems ( diabetes, fatty liver disease, high blood pressure ) were going to kill me and wls has given me a new chance at life. I'm not saying it's easy -it isn't. nor denying the risks as they bare real. I just think that for me it was the right decision and has saved my life .
Good luck with your journey
xx

wannabeminime said:

This forum has been around for about 4-5 years i think! I remember when it was created on Minimins. Minimins was created in 2006, then Pierce created this one a couple of years afterwards. I used the same account, hence the date on my profile. xx

That's how I was already a member in here too lol

Not sure about long term patients. Maybe when they would have joined a forum, there wasn't any. And by the time Internet forums kicked it, they were too far post op to bother. Imagine even 5 years in. If you hadn't joined a forum before then, you probably wouldnt bother x

Back