• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you decide??

roxyroo

Hello all....

I just wondered how people came to their decision on where, what and who to have their wls with??

I was heading towards THG but have recently heard a few negative things about them, this has made me a bit unsure now. I know 6 people that have gone with them, and they have never said anything bad about them but we're more of friends of friends so maybe they're reluctant to 'tell all'.

I definitely want it done in the Uk and would like it ideally down south as I'm from Sussex, thinking more about the aftercare/things going wrong. As travelling to Manchester for example when you're unwell isn't good for anyone.

Any info would be very great :)
xx

For me, it was a lot of research.

I contacted THG early on in my journey and asked for information but, I wasn't particularly impressed, it was actually several years ago that I first made contact with healthier weight (my eventual provider).

For me, I have a fear of anaesthetic, and as such one of my criteria was finding a provider and a surgeon which had a zero mortality rate for the surgery to help with that. (the main reason I chose HW in the end)

Finding after care package and the right package was also a huge consideration, along with the final additional care (my surgery came with a 2 year unlimited fills and aftercare) but also a 3 year insurance against any rectifying procedure or to resolve any problems.

I looked at feedback but also before I booked it, I also looked into comments about other providers. There was at the time a lot of negative with THG. Some of those are here, but there are also people here who have had good experiences. We can never be 100% sure, but lots of research and being happy with your choice is.

I am 100% happy with HW and the service they provided, pre op, during op and in the almost 5 months since I had my band fitted.

I think it's really hard making a choice too! Top cat do you have to come out and ask mortality rates or is there some way of finding them?xx

Hi there

When I started researching I checked to see whether any of the surgeons working in private bariatric surgery were also NHS surgeons as this provided some comfort and reassurance for me. I also researched aftercare - in terms of making sure it is offered especially if going for a band when you need fills and defills etc. When I was looking at THG myself for a band (Dolan Park is closest for me) I found negative feedback from a few years ago (mid 2000s) but it seems as though they have cleaned up their act now. Some of THG surgeons do also work for the NHS or have done. I would definitely recommend you pick somewhere as close to your home as possible - for your aftercare x x

I personally was very high in terms of body mass and always thought of having weight loss through exercise. I was of the view that they would do wonders for me and i even started it but due to some physical and age constraints i had to stop them. Then finally one of my friend told me about the weight loss surgery procedures and i looked the reviews of the ones who already had it. I decided to take up the plan and now i am good and go for a walk everyday and feel high on energy now. Thanks to the decision i made of going for weight loss surgery at the right time.

I was originally going to go with THG, but then read some awful things about them and decided that it wasn't worth the risk of them "maybe being ok with me". I went with Healthier Weight after they were suggested to me from Kat, and I have had the best experience so far (two days post op). I was very worried about having the banding and although they are slightly more they offer a great aftercare package and Prof Favretti (my surgeon) is a renowned bariactric surgeon throughout the world. Good luck on whatever you choose! i had to come on here and annoy everyone (mostly kat-sorry lol) with loads of questions before i made my decision and then when i went to my consultation i felt comfortable and i knew i had picked the right choice

xx

Hi

I had mine funded by the NHS so choice was a bit limited.

I eventually went with Streamline who do NHS WLS in a dedicated unit at St Richards in Chichester, and I got Guy Slater for my Surgeon as well.

Paul

Hi

I had mine funded by the NHS so choice was a bit limited.

I eventually went with Streamline who do NHS WLS in a dedicated unit at St Richards in Chichester, and I got Guy Slater for my Surgeon as well.

Paul

Hi Paul - how did you get your surgery via Streamline if you were NHS funded? How does that work? Is St Richards in Chichester the only NHS bariatric where you live/your PCT? It's just I noticed you live in Kent and Chichester is not in Kent??! :eek:

I decided on WLS Group after seeing their MD on a programme about weight loss. I liked the fact that she had had wls herself and that she personaly phoned me when I enquired.

The nurse has now also had wls and so had her daughter - her and her husband are the face of the company and are fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble.

I travelled to Preston for my op (to save some pennies) but aftercare is fairly local.

So basicaly that's why I chose and why I would recommend them to anyone - at least to make an enquiry.

Good luck with your decision xx

The thing most important to me was the after care package, and locality - I just looked for the best I could find that was reasonably close by.

Hi Paul - how did you get your surgery via Streamline if you were NHS funded? How does that work? Is St Richards in Chichester the only NHS bariatric where you live/your PCT? It's just I noticed you live in Kent and Chichester is not in Kent??! :eek:

When I got my funding the fund managers told me to go there as they had a very short waiting list, 16 weeks, the one in my area had a two year waiting list.

Paul

I went with THG and have to say (touch wood!!) no complaints from me so far x x

I went with THG and I can't fault them , I did plenty of research before my band not just provider but the whole thing, can't fault them picked me up done the band dropped me home call 2 days later to see if I was ok booked fill etc and that was that cost me 5 grand which was 2500 pounds cheaper then everyone else , I'm more then happy with the service I got while some ppl I know don't like the customer services side of the company I done soooo much research that I didn't feel spending 2500 pounds extra for a few phone call asking how I was was justified , not insulting anyone else as we all have our own thoughts etc all I'm saying is don't go into major surgery before you do all your research xx good luck on what ever u decide xxxx

Snack....

They picked you up and dropped you home??? This seems like the went the extra mile. How far away do you live from the hospital at which you had your op?

Ive got my 1st consultant app next week which is in London, Im from Eastbourne and after receiving the paper work they said the surgery will be at Dolan Park. If I had been told it would be there I think I'd have reconsidered! xx

I live in London the hospital is in Birmingham they don't tell you that until u go for your consultation lol and it's not free from what I remember it was 190 pounds but it was worth every penny and more the driver was fantastic really nice guy, may sound expensive to some but that was too drop me off and pick me up the next day if u do go ahead with THG I would recommend the service as by the time u take petrol B and B for the person taking you etc it works out good value for money x

Ps the reason there hospital is in Birmingham as if it was in London you'd be paying 7500 not 5000 pounds xx

I just didn't like the idea of travelling up and down the country. How was it for you? Im not worried about the drive up there just on the way back after you've had the surgery.
Did you take anyone with you? Where did they stay etc.

Sorry for all the questions xx

I went with another lady who was having surgery on the way there and back ,journey back was fine took my pain meds before I left I was fine and I don't have a high pain threshold either proper chicken I am ;) hospital was fantastic loverly and clean staff are great hospital is more like a luxury hotel and the grounds are beautiful it's surrounded by horses etc beautiful that's my experience others may differ but that's my experience xx

I went on my own I prefer it that way there are local b and bs but as I was on my own it didn't matter x

Mine was NHS at L&D but Mr Whitelaw does do private. I still did all the research, was told to watch the operations on youtube. I felt like I was a private patient the way I was looked after and from what I have seen his private patients have to go through the same process as his NHS ones.
Mr Whitelaw told me his mortality rates I did not need to ask :) If I had not got the funding through the NHS I would have still used his services.
I was given the information on all procedures and told do the research! When I said which procedure I wanted he was happy with my choice and told me he would have recommended what I chose. Then explained why the one I chose was best for me lol.
This is a brilliant site for finding out information!

Back