• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from Stoke.

Emmaroo

Milky
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Em. I'm about 2 months into the process of getting a bypass. I'm not really sure what is going on with it all at the moment as my journey seems to be different to everyone elses.

Basically. I went to the doctor in May to ask the doctor for a referal for WLS. I was a bit intimidated at the time, so even though he agreed to give me a referal, I left the appointment a bit flustered and unsure about what is going on.

I got my first appointment through and went on the 19th of June. A surgical consult asked questions about my eating habits and health, and then sent me off for blood tests.

The next step, he said was to meet with the surgeon and dieticion, and that appointment should be 4/6 weeks from then (still waiting on an appointment)

I'm not really sure what happens next or how I go about getting funding and all the rest.

Has anyone else been through a similer system? As most of the stories I've read usually involve getting the funding first, then going on the waiting list.

If you're in the stoke area could you answer these questions for me please :)

How long did it take to get from the doctors appointment, to getting the surgery?
Was it easy getting the funding?

Thanks everyone :)

X

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Em. I'm about 2 months into the process of getting a bypass. I'm not really sure what is going on with it all at the moment as my journey seems to be different to everyone elses.

Basically. I went to the doctor in May to ask the doctor for a referal for WLS. I was a bit intimidated at the time, so even though he agreed to give me a referal, I left the appointment a bit flustered and unsure about what is going on.

I got my first appointment through and went on the 19th of June. A surgical consult asked questions about my eating habits and health, and then sent me off for blood tests.

The next step, he said was to meet with the surgeon and dieticion, and that appointment should be 4/6 weeks from then (still waiting on an appointment)

I'm not really sure what happens next or how I go about getting funding and all the rest.

Has anyone else been through a similer system? As most of the stories I've read usually involve getting the funding first, then going on the waiting list.

If you're in the stoke area could you answer these questions for me please :)

How long did it take to get from the doctors appointment, to getting the surgery?
Was it easy getting the funding?

Thanks everyone :)

X

Hi Emma

Welcome to Mini's.

What PCT are you under?? As some automatically give funding and some make you apply for funding.

What hospital will you be having your op at??

hi im vic and welcome
my journey has only just started to but everything seems to differ to what area your in
i have to go to weight manangment first and they decided what happens from there, they ve only just changed it in my area
xx

Hi Emma

Welcome to Mini's.

What PCT are you under?? As some automatically give funding and some make you apply for funding.

What hospital will you be having your op at??

I'm with the Stoke PCT. I think I'll be having my op at North Staffs hospital. I've forgotten the name of the surgeon though.. opps!

Do you know if the Stoke PCT does automatic funding or will I have to apply? I know the consult said that I shouldn't have a problem with funding due to my area within Stoke-on-Trent.

hi im vic and welcome
my journey has only just started to but everything seems to differ to what area your in
i have to go to weight manangment first and they decided what happens from there, they ve only just changed it in my area
xx

That must be really frustrating for you. How long will you have to go to weight management for?

im not sure i was only told on yesterday
was a bit upsetting because i was told by the dr that they agreed to surgery and would apply for funding
so its like starting again because of the pct changing everything
got appiontment with the drs next week so she can refer me quickly hopefully
good luck with your funding x

im not sure i was only told on yesterday
was a bit upsetting because i was told by the dr that they agreed to surgery and would apply for funding
so its like starting again because of the pct changing everything
got appiontment with the drs next week so she can refer me quickly hopefully
good luck with your funding x

I had the same confusion. Couldn't work out why I'd seen the surgeons but nobody had mentioned funding. I got in a bit of a state about it because I was frightened to query it in case they had made a mistake and I'd be told I wasn't getting the surgery.

Now I'm 7 weeks post bypass and to date nobody has ever mentioned the funding although I'm pretty sure I was funded automatically, either that or someones made a bit of a bloomer, but I'm not questioning it..Ha Ha.

I'm in Burton on Trent and think we may come under the same PCT so you could be being funded automatically too.

Bonita
x

I had the same confusion. Couldn't work out why I'd seen the surgeons but nobody had mentioned funding. I got in a bit of a state about it because I was frightened to query it in case they had made a mistake and I'd be told I wasn't getting the surgery.

Now I'm 7 weeks post bypass and to date nobody has ever mentioned the funding although I'm pretty sure I was funded automatically, either that or someones made a bit of a bloomer, but I'm not questioning it..Ha Ha.

I'm in Burton on Trent and think we may come under the same PCT so you could be being funded automatically too.

Bonita
x

Thats pretty cool :) Where did you have the op? I'm thinking we must be the same PCT or at least a similer one.

How are you coping post op? Have you lost much yet? Are you doing well?

Thats pretty cool :) Where did you have the op? I'm thinking we must be the same PCT or at least a similer one.

How are you coping post op? Have you lost much yet? Are you doing well?

Ha Ha.. All those questions, I remember my head spinning with those..

My doctor refered me directly to Mr Khan at Walsall because she knew him and is insistant that he is the best in this field which I'm inclined to agree with.

Weight wise I'm doing very well. I've lost well over four stones now including the pre-op diet so that four stones in just under nine weeks.

The initial surgery went well but I did have a few problems post op that haven't really been resolved yet but I am improving daily so will be ok in the long run. (I'm not going in to it all here but there is a thread about my bypass journey if you want to have a look).

You'll be fine and don't hestitate to ask on here anything you want to know.

Bonita
xx

Hi Emmaroo I am from Stoke as well and I had my op at Walsall Manor and I had automatic funding. Is the surgeon you having Mr Charouvo (spelt wrong but sounds like that lol) Where in stoke are you from

Ha Ha.. All those questions, I remember my head spinning with those..

My doctor refered me directly to Mr Khan at Walsall because she knew him and is insistant that he is the best in this field which I'm inclined to agree with.

Weight wise I'm doing very well. I've lost well over four stones now including the pre-op diet so that four stones in just under nine weeks.

The initial surgery went well but I did have a few problems post op that haven't really been resolved yet but I am improving daily so will be ok in the long run. (I'm not going in to it all here but there is a thread about my bypass journey if you want to have a look).

You'll be fine and don't hestitate to ask on here anything you want to know.

Bonita
xx

Oh yes, so many questions! lol I've seen there is a support group in my area so as soon as I find out details of when it's on I'm going to go along to bombard everyone with questions hehe

Strangely right now I can't remember much of what I wanted to ask. Trust me :p

Glad you're doing well with the weightloss. I'll check out your thread shortly. :)

Hi Emmaroo I am from Stoke as well and I had my op at Walsall Manor and I had automatic funding. Is the surgeon you having Mr Charouvo (spelt wrong but sounds like that lol) Where in stoke are you from

It could be the name of him. lol I've gone a bit brain dead today. He works at North Staffs hospital which is the one up near newcastle-under-lyme. I was told my op will be at that one.

I'm in Penkhull, about 5/10 mins from the hospital. Where abouts are you? :)

How come you were sent to Walsal?

Automatic funding, brilliant! Does that mean someone applies for it on your behalf or does that mean if you meet the critria you automatically get it?

Once again, sorry for all the questions :p

It could be the name of him. lol I've gone a bit brain dead today. He works at North Staffs hospital which is the one up near newcastle-under-lyme. I was told my op will be at that one.

I'm in Penkhull, about 5/10 mins from the hospital. Where abouts are you? :)

How come you were sent to Walsal?

Automatic funding, brilliant! Does that mean someone applies for it on your behalf or does that mean if you meet the critria you automatically get it?

Once again, sorry for all the questions :p

Hi Im in Blurton

I had mine done at Walsall cause at the time they didnt do it in stoke unless you went private the system changed when I was already in it. I asked about funding when I saw the Dr at Walsall and he just said you have funding so no idea how it worked I was done and dusted in 16 weeks

Mr Cherovou also does private at the Knuffield

Any questions just ask away

That is sooooo quick. I'd love it if mine went through that quickly, but I doubt it.

They must have changed quite recently then? So hopefully there won't be too long of a waiting list lol

Hi and welcome to minis it is a great friendly site. Sorry not from the same area as you, but I am still waiting for my funding it is going back before the exceptional cases panel on Friday. Haven't seen any surgeon yet but hopefully I will get to this soon.

Back