• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long does it take to eat food..

MissCupcake

Hi all,

I had surgery last Friday (23rd) and I am on liquids at the moment, I was wondering how long on average it took post-oppers to eat.

For example I just had 1/2 a mug of soup.. How long did that take you? How long should it take?

Thanks

Sophie x

MissCupcake said:
Hi all,

I had surgery last Friday (23rd) and I am on liquids at the moment, I was wondering how long on average it took post-oppers to eat.

For example I just had 1/2 a mug of soup.. How long did that take you? How long should it take?

Thanks

Sophie x

Hi everybody is different am 5weeks and am eating sum stuff very slowly but you should stay on liquids for two week see how you go take your time and try having something every three hours even if it's a few sips good luck xxjuem

It takes me ages ! I get bored and have to make an effort to finish-especially the dreaded meat and poultry! Everyone is different though !

See I'm finding that I get full fairly quickly but I'm not having to sip and take big gaps between moutfuls. Obviously I'm not chugging it down but I've read that some people take thirty mins to wat a cuppa soup? Probably takes me ten/fifteen and I'm usually full after half a cup.

im on pureed, im 5 weeks post op tmro and going onto soft/mashed stage.
on the pureed it hasnt really taken me long to eat... probably about 10 mins at the most... but i think im gonna have to slow down on the soft foods as i will have to chew more

I'm on liquids for two weeks then soft food for four weeks then back to normal food after six weeks. Is that about right?

I think it varies depending on if you've had a band or bypass.

I'm tolerating it well, blitzing up lots of different flavours of soups to keep it interesting, but I am looking forward to soft foods.

I also haven't opened my bowels for almost a week. (Sorry to be graphic but if there is one place I can talk about it I guess its here).. Any suggestions?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Sophie x

i have been lucky as ive been regular in the bowel department every morning... although today twice with the runny kind... i think to do with antibiotics im taking... but if you havnt gone for a week, then maybe you need a laxitive of some kind... think you need t give your doc a ring for some lactolose x

I've taken five sachets of fibogel (extra fibre to speed up bowel movements) and nothing! Its hard aswell because the stronger laxatives are all in tablet form which I can't have. I may go to the drs tomorrow. Weighing in tomorrow so if there is a couple lbs of waste to get rid of then I'm keen to! Lol

lactolose comes in a bottle you have 15ml in the mornings for a couple of days...see your doc hun x

i will do cupcake xxx the lactolose tastes a bit orngy but it will do the trick x

I was advised to take lactulose and bought it from Boots. Have had it in the past and have found the Boots one tastes like Golden Syrup!

Only took a couple of doses to get things moving!

Tatiana

good hun, hope it works xx

Be careful with the lactulose it may cause you to dump

I was told to throw it away if you haven't finished what your eating after 30 mins.
It will depend on what you are eating/drinking

Thanks for all of your comments, i bought some lactulose yesterday, took a few spoonfuls yesterday and nothing as yet.. will keep going today and see what happens.

Careful with Fybogel or Benefiber - both of those work by swelling up in your stomach to bulk you up, Luton & Dunstable hospital told me never to use them after surgery.

Dont worry - I was the same as you for over a week when I had my op - even now I dont go as often as I used to do. No waste, so less reason to go to the loo! I used lactulose every so often, but it doesn't seem to work for me as quickly as other laxatives do. Just bear with it xxx

Miss Cupcake

This is what happened weight-loss wise in my first few weeks. Hope it helps. Its been slower than a bypasser, but I am over the moon with my progress so far.

2 week pre-op diet (milk/slimfast/yoghurt diet) - 13lbs lost
2 week liquid diet (following op) - 7lbs lost
2 week purreed diet - 4lbs lost
week 7 - 3lbs lost
week 8 - 3lbs lost
week 9 - 3lbs lost
week 10 & 11 - total 2lbs lost while on holiday
week 12 - 4lbs lost
(then have been losing approx 1-2lbs per week thereafter)

Back