• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just wondered how long!

Its differant for everyone dont think anyone has been the same. From seeing my Dr to having my op was 16 weeks

Hi Diana,

I'll answer you by telling you what happened to me. I was referred by my doctor to see a hospital consultant. The conusltant told me on the day that he would refer me for surgery. I think most people are told on the day if surgery is recommended for them.

Being told about the date of your surgery is a complete different matter. I'm still waiting to find out when mine will be. The process for me started properly in Dec '08. I can tell you though, that no matter how long you wait, 3 months or 18 months, it will always seem like the longest wait. The good news though, is that time passes.

BTW, something's gone wrong with your ticker information. Given your height and weight, I'm guessing your BMI is not 82.

Hi Purple, the procedure differs depending which hospital you go to. I'll tell you my situation and hope that helps.

I was referred by my GP to Walsall Manor on 11th December 08, and had my first consultation at the hospital on 14th Jan. I was told there and then that I met the criteria for surgery and that they would apply for funding.

It took 5 weeks from then for my funding to be granted and then I was placed on the waiting list. This was on 20th Feb. I have my first pre op appointment on Thursday, and my 2nd pre op on 16th June. I expect to have my surgery around end July/beginning August. So total time from 1st appointmetn to surgery will be approx 6 months.

PS I think you have done your ticker in Kgs instead of lbs which is why it shows your BMI at 82

I saw my GP and just under 21 weeks later had my surgery...I fought every step of the way though...it is different from surgeon to surgeon and PCT to PCT...xx

My experience was that I saw my GP April 2008, funding was in place end of May 2008 then saw surgeon at hospital August 2008, had surgery October 2008.

i saw my GP end of oct 08, weight loss meeting dec 08, surgeon app march 5th 09, pre-op assessment 26th march 09, and surgery on 14th april 09!
So quite quick compared to some. And yes they told me at my surgeon app that theyd put me on the list.

Thanks for all taking the time to reply to me, I was interested in all of your post to me and each one has given me hope.
Yes my weight thingy is totally wrong I have tried again and it is almost the right bmi; sorry about the scare :D.
Well as soon as I see my gp the sooner I can organise A date for my first consultation.
cheers again. Im sure I will be back xxxx
Hugs Diana x

Just for info I was 5 .10 tall but at my last dexa scan I had lost height and now apparently I am 5.8 tall, my weight in st is 19.2 so hopes this helps those that I have confused.
I was once 9st.3 and would love to be somewhere near that again.

xx Diana

Last edited:
Hi there

As everyone else has already said everywhere is different, i think mine has to be one of the quickest on record lol.

My GP referred me 18th Nov 2008, i saw the surgeon on the 16th December 2008, had all my tests done there and then the same day before seeing the surgeon then as i was leaving about an hour and half later the surgeon said he would scheduke my operation for Jan 3rd 2009 so all in all from my GP referring me to actually having the surgery it only took all of about 6 weeks.

I am now 3 and half months post op and nearly 4and half stone lighter :D.

Even though i only had a short wait, if id have had to wait longer i would do it all over again now i know the results its having on me.

All the best, hope your wait isnt too long.

Take care :)

Back