• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long off work?

Hi all,

I'm booked for my band at the BMI Alexandre at Cheadle on 23rd may & was wondering how long people had taken off work following a band?

The surgeon said 2 wks would be average.

I'm a nurse trainer, do a lot of driving & BLS demos so quite physical work.

I've booked a weeks annual leave & will be taking 4 days as sick (Monday is a bank hols) but I'm concerned whether this will be long enough.

Thanks in advance of your thoughts :)

siana58

If op is straightforward I think a week should be fine, same as any laparoscopic procedure. Some employers don't like you going from leave onto sick, so if your plan is leave, bank holiday, 4 days sick check with HR that this fits with their policy. Probably useful to jig your diary so you have a week based in the office when you are first back. Good luck!

weegie

Given the nature of your job a couple of weeks is probably good advice, In my opinion. My band was 8 years ago but I had a sedentary job and only took a week or so. I was shattered at the end of every day. Driving I had to wait two weeks anyway.

Good luck

Thank you both ;)

My plan is to take the 1st 4 days as sick & then the following week I was booked on annual leave regardless of my op as its school holidays.

So in total I will be off for 2 weeks :D