• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How many cals should we aim for post op?

JO28172

There's no way I'm having anywhere near enough!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'd love to know this aswell, cos some days I seem to have loads cos I have milk or cheese for my protein n then other days hardly any xx

I don't think it is the same for us just post op, Jo ... Haylz, eventually it should be between 1000 -1200 cals per day but no one can manage that straight away. So my book from the dietician informs me :):):) xxx

im glad u posted this cause im 3 weeks post op and is having between 6 - 800 cals a day n i dont think it near enough, but im feeling full after half of my foods x

Well I am not speaking from experience as I am barely managing 500, lol. I am concentrating on drinking first & foremost with a view to building my protein/cals when I have recovered a bit. I know I am still very swollen on the outside so guess I must be on the inside too so not surprising I can't manage to eat much. Baby steps xxx :):)

Neeta said:
Me neither Twinkle, but having a soft omlette with some grated cheese in for tea today - can't wait. Just hope it stays put. ;)

Oh that sounds gorgeous!!!!

Glad I posted now as thought was just me clueless! Iv just got to 400/500 today for first time....slowly does it as u say...but yes I'd read once we r recovered it should be circa 1000...!!

I am now at 11 weeks post op.

After the milk diet and the op, I honestly can say I felt full for the first 4 weeks or so on around 5-600 calories a day, and the weight loss was ok (most in the first two weeks, but far slower in the second two weeks).

From doing a lot of reading and speaking to my dietician, I knew I needed to increase my consumption to get sufficient nutrients and protein, so little by little over a week I increased it to around 1000 to 1200 calories a day (and boosted my metabolism by increasing my exercise too).

Now my weight loss has increased (3-4lbs per week) and so has my energy level. What I would add is that if I am eating out at the weekend I do (in my mind) allow myself around 1600 calories per day max to cover any treats I may want to add to the good band food. Tend not to use this allowance, but at least if I want to, I will enjoy myself totally guilt-free ... and its amazing if you don't feel the guilt, you are less likely to be tempted/cheat. Speak to your dietician if you are concerned though or have any questions :)

First of all its a completly different story for banders vs bypassers!

Jo you are only a few days post op and on liquids? at your stage its all about slow and steady, water, soup, slim fast etc - sip, sip and sip.

Good luck x

Yes that's right Mazza but there's nothing in my booklet to say how much they expect me to go for...will keep on doing what I'm doing x

I'm doing slimfast at breakfast, half can soup at lunch, yogurt drink for tea and the odd milky coffee...I'm not hungry so guessing I'm on the right path :)

Back