• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much protein post op?

scrap that, found them online. Quite high in sugar for me, I was advised no more than 5g per 100ml/g, and that has 8+ (chocolate has 8.4) so will stick with my met-rx, even if they do cost a lot lol.

Hmmmm, I'm a bit stuck with exactly how much protein I should be getting into me on the fluids only phase. I really got the impression from one of the Docs I saw, that during this time its irrelevant as long as you keep hydrated. I know I'm not having nearly enough protein and now I'm worried?!?!? :(

That was what the dietician told me too so don't worry. It was only when I started puree that they tell you to have so many portions protein/carbs etc.

As always, you should go by what your professionals tell you so if what I say goes against what they say then completely ignore me!!! This may sound like I am a know-it-all which is not the case, I am always learning something new and lots of it comes for all of you! That said, I have read numerous books written by health professionals from America where the gastric bypass has been done for much longer and done millions of times, they all stress the importance of high protein intake in the first 6-8 weeks post-surgery.

In order to prevent muscle loss & to aide healing the main source of nutrition needs to be protein. It is almost impossible to get 80+ grams per day during the liquid stage but if I had followed only my diet sheets during liquids I was lucky to get in 20grams!! I added protein drinks which boosted me up over 40grams. My dietician told me at 6 weeks that I had the healing & fitness of someone at 10-12 weeks so I know I did it right. This is my opinion and I wanted to share it with you but like I said you are better to follow your own professional advice.

Last edited:
just looked at fortimel bottle and there is 16.8g of sugar in a bottle wow not looked before. But these are what Walsall presribed for me and told me have one a day so only 20g of protein >>>> tina now thinking what to do she might pop Dr and get something else on script<<<<<<<

As always, you should go by what your professionals tell you so if what I say goes against what they say then completely ignore me!!! This may sound like I am a know-it-all which is not the case, I am always learning something new and lots of it comes for all of you! That said, I have read numerous books written by health professionals from America where the gastric bypass has been done for much longer and done millions of times, they all stress the importance of high protein intake in the first 6-8 weeks post-surgery.

In order to prevent muscle loss & to aide healing the main source of nutrition needs to be protein. It is almost impossible to get 80+ grams per day during the liquid stage but if I had followed only my diet sheets during liquids I was lucky to get in 20grams!! I added protein drinks which boosted me up over 40grams. My dietician told me at 6 weeks that I had the healing & fitness of someone at 10-12 weeks so I know I did it right. This is my opinion and I wanted to share it with you but like I said you are better to follow your own professional advice.

cheers PG - we don't think you're a know all! It does seem mad to me, from the small about I have learnt to date, that a bigger emphasis isn't put on protein in those first few weeks. My diet sheet recommended slimfast - but it could easily have said replace them with a suitable protein drink instead?

A woman I know at work had the op a while ago and she has lost 18 stones (she still has more to go!) and on chatting to her she says she hardly has any protein - she mainly eats salads and carbs.

I think I mentioned before I had bought 'Nutrition for Dummies' and having spent all my life eating junk food I am now getting hooked on eating 'good' food!! It's a fascinating subject and protein is amazing stuff!!

Back