• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much weight did u lose in the first year?

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
So nosey arent i! need to see whats realistic.

wow thats loads.and u keep it off right?

Hi Magicbeans

This is an impossible question to gage accurate answers from, as everyone is unique and their weight loss journey is too.

A gastric band will give you 50-60 percent of your EXCESS weight as a loss on average.

So if you at 60lbs over weight, the realistic target is 30lbs in the first year.

But there are some that get to goal weights much quicker or lost more than the stated averages, and that can be for many reasons but however you get there, it takes a lot of determination and hard work. Will power still has to be exercised completely.

My journey has been very slow, due to the NHS being pants for the past year.

All WLS carries the possibility of regaining weight, its not the surgery that keeps the weight off, its you. The WLS gives you a window of opportunity to change your eating habits and learn to make better choices.

Some people who have a bypass can swing the other way, where they have to maintain with a high fat diet as they suffer with chronic malabsoprtion.

There are no definite answers, in a way its a gamble.

I am 8 months out of my op but too date I have lost 37.8lbs since sept...even though I had the op in July for 12 of those weeks I didnt have any loss at all ....my weight loss only began in september when I had 2nd fill :)

so still quite a lot.....yeah u bypassers lose an amazing amount...ur pics are mind-blowing!!

hmmm.....ringing around and trying to go with the most reputable as opposed to cheapest.

I lost around 4 stone too but I had more weight to lose than you.

The average weight loss in two years is 50 -65% of your excess weight. Averages are just that though, some will exceed that some won't.

I will be 12 mths post op on 7th April and I have lost 7stone 12 lbs but I am a bypasser

I had a gastric balloon and lost 8 stone in six months and 12 stone in the full year. However, once it was out I put it all back on again.

weeble said:
I had a gastric balloon and lost 8 stone in six months and 12 stone in the full year. However, once it was out I put it all back on again.

Oh my goodness you poor thing! That must have sucked :-(

it took me 18 months to lose 7st7llbs with my 1st band, i must state everyones different and it depends on the level of commitment given to a band, as band is easily cheated and lots do so, also i want to say about time scales, one of the most common questions asked is "how quick was the weight loss ?"
WLS is NOT a race and losing it too quickly isnt any good for anyone, losing weight with a band is not a easy option and requires alot of will power or the results are usually poor. I hope my comments have helped im just being honest from my own 2 bands experience and knowing alot of banders too x

Liz xxx

it took me 18 months to lose 7st7llbs with my 1st band, i must state everyones different and it depends on the level of commitment given to a band, as band is easily cheated and lots do so, also i want to say about time scales, one of the most common questions asked is "how quick was the weight loss ?"
WLS is NOT a race and losing it too quickly isnt any good for anyone, losing weight with a band is not a easy option and requires alot of will power or the results are usually poor. I hope my comments have helped im just being honest from my own 2 bands experience and knowing alot of banders too x

Liz xxx

not at all!! thanks for the honesty ...i love this site ..everyone is so clued up and knows their stuff and want to help others!

I'm just over 7 months post-op from Gastric Bypass. So far I've lost 5 stones 3 pounds post-op.

I had a bypass and lost 10 stone in my first year xxx

defintiely the biggest losses with bypasses wow!

but band is the way im going so will hopefully have a good loss if i work with it!!

I am a bloke who was huge and I had a bypass so not really any help to you, but I lost 16 stone in the first year.

Back