• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How painful?

pink bubbles

Hulloo everyone!
I was wondering if any of you who have had a bypass or band would mind telling me on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most) how painful it is & when was the most pain felt please????
with lotsa thanks:)

I had a band done 2 weeks ago. When I was in recovery and for the first evening they asked me to rate my pain on a scale from 0 - 4 with 0 being pain free and 4 agony. I never went over a 2 and was mainly less than that.
I can honestly say that it was no where near as bad as I thought. I had the op on the Monday pm. By Tuesday I was managing on paracetamol and by Weds night I was off painkillers althogether apart from Gripe Water to help disperse the gas they use for access to do laparoscopic surgery. Hope this helps x

Hiya,

I had a bypass 12 days ago. Again, I used the same scale as Ali in the hospital, and only made a 3 on 2 or 3 occasions. Each time they promptly shot me with IM codeine and I was fine :)

Most of my pain was in my back straight after the operation as I have muscle and joint problems so lying on the operating table for 3 hours set it off.

The stomach pain never reached a 2, it was very bearable, and only lasted 2 days. I didn't have any gas pain like some others have had.

All in all, it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. I had the op on the wednesday and had my last dose of soluble paracetemol early saturday morning. That was more for a headache than anything!

Hi,

I had a band 16 days ago.

I would say that the worst of my pain was in the first 24 hours but it was never awful. On a scale of 1-10 it was probably a 6 at worst and most often more of a 2 or 3. I stopped taking paracetamol after 3 or 4 days. Like Ali said, the worst thing was the wind pain which took a week or so to settle. Gripe water also really helped me with that. Also peppermint tea was great.

I would say it's more an uncomfortable process than a painful one. I had discomfort and aching for about a week - but I wouldn't call it pain.

Hope that helps!

Alice xxx

Hi

I had the Bypass 8 weeks ago, I can honestly say it is painful!!! I was in alot of pain, but have to admit the morphine helped me so much!!!!!!!!!!

After I came home I found it uncomfortable more than anything!!!!!!! you have to relise everyone is different though and everyones pain threshold is different!!!!! I usually have a good pain threshold.... but i found it painful... but i will say IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I had the bypass nearly 9 weeks ago. on a scale of 1 to 10 i would say initially about 4 wasn't given morphine or anthing unlike some of the lucky ones on here. The pain didn't last that long and was more uncomfortable. Compared to a ceserean it was a breeze!!!

Hiya...

I had a bypass (keyhole) and I have a very low pain threashold... I would say my pain was around a 2 on a scale of 1-4. I did have the old morphine PCA, and used it for about the first 36 hours, but then asked for it to be removed.

I would say it is more sore than out and out pain... but as Mandy so rightly said, everyone is different. Everyone's CNS system reacts differently - I may find something sore, whereas another person may have a good pain threashold but their body reacted differently to the surgery and they were in pain.

I wouldn't think twice to having the op again... and I'm a huge coward!!!

Don't worry... you'll be fine. And the nurses are always ready with IV drugs if you are in pain :)

x

Thanks tons everyone at least I now know what to expect, I am a real softie woftie but not as afraid now you have all told me your experiences!
thanks millions!!!!!

Back