• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How & What does it feel like

when it happens to me it hurts until I send it flying down the pan lol

It can be both sue x just make sure you chew chew and chew some more and eat slowly x I'm 11 weeks post op and luckily only happened once - with a chip!!!! Not nice experience x

It can be both sue x just make sure you chew chew and chew some more and eat slowly x I'm 11 weeks post op and luckily only happened once - with a chip!!!! Not nice experience x

Just Afraid I panic if it happens because I'm hating the way I feel at the moment I'm just one 1 week and I was ok Thursday & friday then out of no during the night really bad pain I but it down to wind .. Got up I was really dizzy and in pain on left side... Any way after all the drama it was a chest infection and kidney infection which. I had before bur with the band it's adding to the stomach pain and I have more gas. Now than after the op and have a choking feeling all the time it's quite weird ;(
And I was worried am I ever going to feel normal with this band in ;)

And if so how many weeks in before you do ??

I was 3 weeks before the wind pain went, and I'm about 12 weeks post op and I'm just starting to feel the band working with 6.3 ml in my band!! However if you are after feeling normal ie the way you did before the op in regards to eating it was for me 4 weeks I could eat and drink as I did before with no restriction... But I didn't go back to old habits and have managed to shift nearly 3 stone which I'm so happy with....!!

Just bare in mind everyone is different, but I promise it will get better xx

Sue

I'm only 2 weeks post op and still on fluids only so i can't answer the choking question but i can understand what your going through.

I was ok for about 4 days post op then developed terrible pain under my left breast referred to the shoulder. After 4 days that cleared (gripe water, painkillers, exercise) and I thought phew, the worst is over. Then i woke up on wednesday just gone with blood on my lips and spitting blood and very painful to swallow. Quick trip to GP confirmed throat infection and I was placed on antibiotics.

The good news is i went for my 2 weeks check on Friday and the gastric incision (yes I have only one yippee) has healed very well, i have lost 1st and my throat is almost back to normal. I don't have any pain (well a little in my legs because i stupidly went for a 1hr walk yesterday) and the sun is shining.

It does all get better. Just stick to the instructions given by your provider and take things easy.

Hope you feel better soon. Annexx

I was 3 weeks before the wind pain went, and I'm about 12 weeks post op and I'm just starting to feel the band working with 6.3 ml in my band!! However if you are after feeling normal ie the way you did before the op in regards to eating it was for me 4 weeks I could eat and drink as I did before with no restriction... But I didn't go back to old habits and have managed to shift nearly 3 stone which I'm so happy with....!!

Oh sorry I forgot to add I have been sick about 5 times and it's not as bad as I was thinking it would be, but the pain before the vomiting is really uncomftable that you kind of look forward to being sick to get rid of the pain lol mine was with chips.. Homemade... And bread! I now don't go anywhere near it!,

Hey carre ..
I'm glad to say band is working regards eating but it the burps that won't come out and the pain after I eat and drink and wind pain back worst than ever ...I'm still on drinks only but pureed now from today that's the plan but haven't tried yet my provider said fluids only one week pureed for two weeks then mashed for two weeks ..and thanks for advice xx

Sue

I'm only 2 weeks post op and still on fluids only so i can't answer the choking question but i can understand what your going through.

I was ok for about 4 days post op then developed terrible pain under my left breast referred to the shoulder. After 4 days that cleared (gripe water, painkillers, exercise) and I thought phew, the worst is over. Then i woke up on wednesday just gone with blood on my lips and spitting blood and very painful to swallow. Quick trip to GP confirmed throat infection and I was placed on antibiotics.

The good news is i went for my 2 weeks check on Friday and the gastric incision (yes I have only one yippee) has healed very well, i have lost 1st and my throat is almost back to normal. I don't have any pain (well a little in my legs because i stupidly went for a 1hr walk yesterday) and the sun is shining.

It does all get better. Just stick to the instructions given by your provider and take things easy.

Hope you feel better soon. Annexx

Thanks hun I'm only 8 days today since op and the choking is from drinking I'm still on fluids and suppose to start pureed today put to afraid to ...
I though the wind was gone .. Boy was i wrong it's worse than ever and to top it off have kidney and chest infection ...
God only one !!! I'm so envious I have 5 lol
Yep I was weight yesterday in hospital and have lost 9lb in a week feels great ... Hope like you I can made a stone by next week xxx
One work for you Respect xxx

What it feels like - exactly the same as if you swallowed too big piece of food before having the band. You feel pressure in the chest, maybe your eyes start tearing up, you feel the food moving down, but very slowly, so you are not sure if it will go down or if it would be better to try and make yourself sick, you get funny/thicker saliva in your mouth....in my case it have always gone through eventually, but those 5-10 minutes were VERY unpleasant and after that you don't want to eat for a while. Some people bring it up (sometimes voluntarily, sometimes involuntarily).

When it happens - when I eat too quickly, of don't leave enough time between 2 mouthfuls, or if I don't chew things enough (some people here on the forum also say it happens when you overeat, or when you eat the wrong food. I don't know, I seem to be able to eat anything, but it has to be chewed properly). It happened to me only 2-3 times within the last 5 weeks and luckily I wasn't sick, but it really isn't experience you want to have.

Hey carre ..
I'm glad to say band is working regards eating but it the burps that won't come out and the pain after I eat and drink and wind pain back worst than ever ...I'm still on drinks only but pureed now from today that's the plan but haven't tried yet my provider said fluids only one week pureed for two weeks then mashed for two weeks ..and thanks for advice xx

I find that when I leave it that bit longer between mouthfuls and really chew, chew and chew some more it doesn't happen plus I was told leave it at least a minute after your last mouthful before drinking and make sure you only sip!,

It's still really early days for you and by the sounds of it I was told a lot different then you, mine was two weeks fluid to allow the swelling to go down, then 1 week sloppy/mush then normal with no bread!,

I really hope it all works it's self out for you xx

No matter how careful you are it will happen. Keep an empty crisp packet in the car glovebox / corner of your handbag / desk drawer. They make a perfect temporary sick bag!

What I want to know is what does 'dumping' feel like? and how do you know you're having one?

You get an impending sense of doom, you can feel clammy or sweat. You can get the shakes. You just feel generally unwell. You feel sick or you feel that you need to go to the loo ASAP. you'll know when your having one believe me!

Anything from 10mins to a couple of hours, depending on how much of the food you've eaten that's set it off. It can make you feel really sleepy too.

Your welcome. There are two things I dumped on.one was low fat custard and the other was pineapple juice. It was my fault though as I didn't water them down enough. A lesson well learned I can tell you!!

Everyone dumps on different things though :)

Back