• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hunger

Vegas

Hi all I am 5 days post op ,band to sleeve revision. All is ok I think, just taking fluids, no pain, but I think I feel hungry. I'm drinking milk and slim fast plus water but my tummy rumbles. No acid but more saliva than normal. Am I hungry or adjusting or what?

I think it's the brain telling you are hungry and not the tummy...Keep topped up on the fluids.. Xx

Hi Vegas,

I had my sleeve surgery last month and I found that the healing pains were very like hunger pains. You're not actually hungry, you're healing :)

It does ease up soon I promise xx

thanks for replies. I hope you're right, my stomach feels cavernous at the moment. My partner came in with a big plate of fish and chips today and I swear I could have eaten the lot!. Still sipping at fluids throughout day, they never quite make me feel full but if I drink to much too quickly I do salivate more and get more indigestion type wind. I'm not complaining though, I feel really positive about the future, its just odd to not recognise your own bodily functions anymore.

hi thanks for replies. I hope you're right, at the moment my stomach feels cavernous, I swear I could eat for hours before I fill up! Just sipping away at the fluids for now though.

hi I hope you're right, my stomach feels cavernous at the moment, I swear I could eat for hours before I fill up. Just sipping away at fluids for now :)

Hiya im 4 days post op and I feel starving! Just had some soup, going to have some milk soon starting to wonder I have actually got a sleeve in there!!! The biggish gulp of juice I took just after tasting the vile liquid medicine ive been given made me realise my stomach is defo smaller than it was! ...

I was sleeved 10 days ago, and im hungry.. Had milky scrambled eggs today.. That helped..

But too feel sometimes i have no sleeve.. Until i drink too fast..

The hunger gets better, I was starving for the first 2 weeks, I think it was healing and acid tbh. Unfortunately I haven't turned into one of those that never feels hungry, my grehiln is definitely still in full operation, but it definitely is better than those first 2/3 weeks.

Moved from fluids to purée stage last week.

Eating mashed potatoes and gravy definitely fills you up- today I had vegetable soup at work and because it was a bit chunky and I had to chew all the veg I only managed ⅔ of a small portion. However liquids are fine and I can drink (albeit slowly) whatever I want.

Going to try some Quorn cottage pie tomorrow and see how I get on with that.

I am 4 days post op and don't feel hungry in the slightest, in fact I feel like they took my appetite with my stomach. I am struggling to get enough liquids down and forcing myself to drink more.

Early days yet though :)

I am 8 weeks post op & still have no appetite, I do forget my sleeve until I drink too fast or too much water then owchhhhh, still very acidy but improving....... & loving the new me :)

Gemzy- it won't let me private message you but just wondered how you're getting on.. You replied to my thread a few weeks ago and said you're a similar weight etc to me. I'm def going for the sleeve hopefully booking for beginning of sept. Any help or tips from anyone would be great!

Binks x

I'm 21 days post op... I don't feel hungery AT ALL!! I must be really lucky, as I've had no gas/wind pain, no stomach pain. Nothing. In fact, I forget I've even had surgery until I try and do too much and get tired/pooped out.

I only THINK I want to eat something when I see it or smell it... But thats old habits, my brain thinking I want it.

I could happily not eat anything all day, just sip liquids!

I'm on puree stage and can manage 5-6 spoons before I get an ache, and I have to stop or it feels like its stuck in my chest.

I can drink as much fluid as I like - just not a big gulp or too fast.

Down 30.5lb already - although stalled this week, guessing its this heat wave! xx

Last edited:
I'm 11 weeks post op sleeve and I get hungry, have done for last week or so. I'm finding I'm losing most if I have 1000 calories a day and 60+ grams protein. My hunger feels like I could eat a horse but then after half my little meal I'm stuffed and admit defeat!

I'm doing pretty low carbs and had my first toast for breakfast this morning since my op, one piece of soy burgen with peanut butter. It was hard having toast without tea to wash it down! Won't be making a regular habit of it.

On the way home tonight I was convinced I was hungry but I've just had 3/4 pint water and I'm fine, I think I'm still learning the difference between hunger and thirst. Tummy has rumbled a bit this week and as I've upped my veg I've been a bit windy! Eeeek!

Well done Stacey !

I'm the same, I try to have fluids if I have a slight rumble and it normally does the trick ;) x

I'm 11 weeks post op sleeve and I get hungry, have done for last week or so. I'm finding I'm losing most if I have 1000 calories a day and 60+ grams protein. My hunger feels like I could eat a horse but then after half my little meal I'm stuffed and admit defeat!

I'm doing pretty low carbs and had my first toast for breakfast this morning since my op, one piece of soy burgen with peanut butter. It was hard having toast without tea to wash it down! Won't be making a regular habit of it.

On the way home tonight I was convinced I was hungry but I've just had 3/4 pint water and I'm fine, I think I'm still learning the difference between hunger and thirst. Tummy has rumbled a bit this week and as I've upped my veg I've been a bit windy! Eeeek!

When did you start feeling hunger again after the Op? xx

Back