• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hurtful comments

Each time I can my nan, the first thing she wants to know is how much weight I have lost and then tells me and everyone I am not doing well. Until her health has caused weight loss recently, she was 5ft 4 and 21st. So no near a Kate Moss herself.

I have not seen her since March. Her words when I visit her hurt me so much. Like I may have lost weight but my legs still are tree trunks. Just not a nice lady at all :(

I don't get parents that are horrible to their kids. My mum and dad are nothing but supportive,and mum sends me supportive messages on FB when i'm feeling down.

We had our ups and downs when I was a teen, but we have let them be behind us now.

Why is love so hard for some people?

Miss DeeDee said:
My dad was always awful about my weight - then he died a few years ago - and i spent the money he left for my op haha

That's truly brilliant! Ha ha, good on ya xx

Not very nice fuffs. Grandparents have different mind sets. They can't see the reasons for over-eating, emotional eating etc etc. all I ever get is "in my day the food was rationed....couldn't over-eat" and similar. Old people....Blergh! Lol!

kellbells said:
Not very nice fuffs. Grandparents have different mind sets. They can't see the reasons for over-eating, emotional eating etc etc. all I ever get is "in my day the food was rationed....couldn't over-eat" and similar. Old people....Blergh! Lol!

Lol!! My nan has been obese from way for I was born, but still chants. When we were growing up, she bought us all the sweets and chocolates, forced us to finish our dinners and if we couldn't, she would finish it for us.

If I visit her she tries to force cream cakes in me that are about to go out of date. And then in the next breath tells me I should be ashamed for being fat.

The cheek! Lol.

Kitty, your parents sound lovely :D

Last edited:
Well I popped into the souk (an arabian market) to buy nuts for my mum as Im visiting London this week. I hadn't been there since before my op. Any way the filopino man says I remember u- u were so FAAT. And he makes his body look like an American football player. Considering ive only lost 25kg since and around 19st now I felt so hurt. Especially as I had felt I looked good that day. Had I not already paid for the nuts I would have walked out or swung them in his face ;)

Hey fuffs I get what u mean about your Nan. my mum is the same hence ive kept my surgery secret from her. She is one if the key reasons I put on weight and she has been obese all my life.

One of my friends saw me last week and said I used to have a face like a blown up basketball. People forget we still feel as if we are the person they are insulting.

I wish now I had kept mine secret from my nan :(

Nice friend fuffs !! I get the usual 'your a pretty woman but .......'

A bloke on a dating site once asked me for a full length photo so he could see how fat I was before meeting me for a date. I told him to get lost and I didn't date shallow people.

It's strange though as I've noticed when I've lost a significant amount of weight in the past. People seem to think it gives them the green light to tell you how awful you looked before. They seem to forget that although your 'thin' you still have feelings.

My sister said last week that since Iv lost weight Iv aged, and not in a good way. My response was that's a good thing as I was sick of getting id for lottery at age 28 now I might look my age lol x

What people we have all experienced! Wow!!!

My sister said last week that since Iv lost weight Iv aged, and not in a good way. My response was that's a good thing as I was sick of getting id for lottery at age 28 now I might look my age lol x

Wow you sister sounds a bit like mine. I love my sister but boy does she have a wicked tongue. I try to avoid talking to her for long periods of time or about anything serious as if something comes up she can say the most terrible things. It's like she goes for the thing she knows is going to hurt you most. I think it's a defence mechanism so no one sees what she "thinks" is wrong with her. I just wish I was as quick with the comebacks as you. I'd have just stood there with my mouth open x

Yes family and friends can be blunt, I just think my sister is getting a bit worried as shes only just lighter than me by around 12lb and I'm 3 inches taller than her so probably around the same bmi. She was always the skinnier sister by far. Now I'm catching up and am able to wear smaller tops than her cause I got small boobs lol (she was always blessed in that department) x

It's up to us how much impact we let other people have on our feelings. If you don't allow these comments to bother you they have no power over us.

When I lost weight I had a clear out of my wardrobe and my wife said you should put them in the charity bin clothes for Africa, I said chuff me lady how many starving Africans have a 64 inch chest? :eek: she smiled and said "I thought they might use them as tents" :D:D

Karlos said:
It's up to us how much impact we let other people have on our feelings. If you don't allow these comments to bother you they have no power over us.

When I lost weight I had a clear out of my wardrobe and my wife said you should put them in the charity bin clothes for Africa, I said chuff me lady how many starving Africans have a 64 inch chest? :eek: she smiled and said "I thought they might use them as tents" :D:D

Lol :) fair point :)

But I agree...others can say what they want because that's when my selective deafness kicks in..!

Not my family but work colleagues have commented on my weight always laugh it off but literally crying inside. Sayings like ...

You take up at least 3 seats
You remind me of an elephAnt
Should you really be eating that are you not fat enough???
Ur a Buddha with you stomach

And so many more....can't wait for my sleeve in jan xxx

I Think people say theese things because they know they will get away with it. And it also makes them feel.better about themselves.they are small minded and mean of spirit. We are big hearted and they know we wont retaliate.and that hune is why they do it.

Not my family but work colleagues have commented on my weight always laugh it off but literally crying inside. Sayings like ...

You take up at least 3 seats
You remind me of an elephAnt
Should you really be eating that are you not fat enough???
Ur a Buddha with you stomach

And so many more....can't wait for my sleeve in jan xxx

Don't worry once you've had your op work colleagues will still talk about your weight still but they will be flooding you with compliments. Because some of mine don't see me week to week they can't believe the difference in me in just a week and I get huge compliments at least once a week. It's feels great and it will for you too :) x

Aww thanks shelley. I can't wait now just to prove to everyone that I can and will do it. The sleeve is all I'm thinking about. Xx

Oh hun! I feel for you. I was once morbidly obese - I weighed more than 280 pounds - and I totally understand the pain caused by stares, nasty remarks, etc.

Those nasty commenters just don't understand. They may be alcoholics, drug addicts, gamblers, control freaks (there are a few very mean ones on this very site!), you name it - but because they 'look normal' they escape censure. Overeaters literally SHOW their addiction - and this leaves them open to criticism and insults. It's not fair! But it happens and we suffer accordingly.

I have heard good things about the gastric sleeve. Good luck, take care of your health and wellbeing, and try to forgive those who mocked you. Either they have no clue as to the wrong they have done you and others - or they know, and they don't care. Pity them.

Blessings x

This is what this site is great for. Sharing joys, pain and journeys. Experiences, loves, hates and emotions. I love that it shows how real we are as people and that we feel the same as "everyone else". I was once told I had thick skin when it came to torments because I was fat, therefore I could take it. Well guess what?
This girl is shedding her thick skin for a nice new skinny one lol. Way to go girls (and guys) !!

Back