• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hurtful comments

Since I've lost weight I've become a lot less tolerant if people..think it's the lack of good! I tend to speak my mind more now..it's very liberating!

Last year I met up with a friend that I hadn't seen for a few years for lunch.

I was waiting for her at the shopping centre for ages. I started to think that she wasn't going to turn up and then finally she tapped me on the shoulder and said "omg I didn't recognise you. You've put so much weight on". I was absolutely mortified and wanted the floor to swallow me up!! How rude!! The best of it was, so had she but wouldn't be so rude as to say it!!

We were meant to have lunch but I just had a drink because I just wanted to go home!

I have decided not to meet up again until I've lost my weight!!

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Lol..... Let's hope they don't Barr you x

No he won't coz I changed surgery years ago but that was the thing that tipped me over! I couldn't understand why my weight had anything to do with my little finger but he said lots of awful things.

On a previous occasion when I had gone to see him for help with weight loss he said eat less. No fat people came out of Belson they just had bread and water. So really he was just a dinosaur!! Think he must be well retired by now hopefully!

No he won't coz I changed surgery years ago but that was the thing that tipped me over! I couldn't understand why my weight had anything to do with my little finger but he said lots of awful things. On a previous occasion when I had gone to see him for help with weight loss he said eat less. No fat people came out of Belson they just had bread and water. So really he was just a dinosaur!! Think he must be well retired by now hopefully!

Oh Janet how awful for you. What a vile Doctor. No bedside manner whatsoever. I don't blame you for changing doctors.

Healthcare professionals should treat patients with respect!!

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I have this idea in my head that I am in some way responsible for my Mum's death. She died of breast cancer when I was 18 months old and I was breast fed. Before my Dad died I asked him the question and he said "yeah, you were too greedy!!!

Debbie

That is sooo cruel! What an awful thing to say! Actually breastfeeding reduces the chances of getting breast cancer, so pffft to him!

*Just looked at my username!* LOL!

Just have to say, although it's off topic, I LOVE your avatar! Is that your rat? I used to have a massive phobia of rats, so I bought 2 to make myself get over it, as I know it was down to me to give them any quality of live and therefore I would have to deal with it! I started with 2, and then rescued and ended up with 7 in the end! They are such amazing pets, just like little dogs. The poor things have such bad press, but they are great pets, so loving and friendly...the only down side is they don't live long enough!!

Yeah, that was Georgie, my first ever rat. I impulse bought her in a pet shop in 2006. Then I discovered how awful the small animal trade is (I've seen the places and conditions they are bred in) and got involved in rescues. I've lost count of how many I had - well over 20 permits, and a few dozens fosters.

Their short lives got too much in the end and I'm not sure I could ever have them again. Which is a shame as I was so involved in the community, that I helped run a huge rat forum, and even one of the rat societies.

Wonderful animals - so intelligent, friendly and full of character. They are on a par with small dogs.

I've lost a huge amount of weight since my previous post. And the annoying comment about how I've lost enough weight have started. I have 2 or 3 stone to go, and have been getting these comments since about 2st ago.

They mean well but Bloody hell - let me be slim!

Yeah, that was Georgie, my first ever rat. I impulse bought her in a pet shop in 2006. Then I discovered how awful the small animal trade is (I've seen the places and conditions they are bred in) and got involved in rescues. I've lost count of how many I had - well over 20 permits, and a few dozens fosters.

Their short lives got too much in the end and I'm not sure I could ever have them again. Which is a shame as I was so involved in the community, that I helped run a huge rat forum, and even one of the rat societies.

Wonderful animals - so intelligent, friendly and full of character. They are on a par with small dogs.

I've lost a huge amount of weight since my previous post. And the annoying comment about how I've lost enough weight have started. I have 2 or 3 stone to go, and have been getting these comments since about 2st ago.

They mean well but Bloody hell - let me be slim!

That's exactly why I stopped owning them, because it broke my heart every time I lost one! (I'm that soppy I have their ashes!)
I used to be on the Fancy rats forum, were you on there? Did you have the same or similar username to this one?

That's exactly why I stopped owning them, because it broke my heart every time I lost one! (I'm that soppy I have their ashes!)
I used to be on the Fancy rats forum, were you on there? Did you have the same or similar username to this one?

I was andybhoy. I was admin on there for a few years. Who were you?

I remember you too! Feels a long time ago!

I remember you too! Feels a long time ago!

Sure does! I sure do miss ratty cuddles! (Never in a million years would I have believed those words would come out of my mouth before I got over my phobia of them!) Sorry for hi-jacking this thread!

Most obese people I've known, myself very much included, have made themselves the butt of any fat related jokes most of their lives. On any weightloss forum, you'll see a multitude of usernames which focus on being fat. If I'd gone that rout I'd probably be fatbloke83 due to all the "fatblokes" there are.

It is a self defence mechanism, to get in there first with self-deprecating comments and jokes.

Other people don't realise that this is a defence mechanism and tend to join in - leading. To off hand comments at all sorts of random times.

My family are pretty good - they're either all overweight or have been, so it's a rare day I get a comment from them but through the years I've had plenty of friends or people who think it helps me, to be criticised.

I've found as I've regained my weight, that I'm much quicker to make the self deprecating jokes again. It all stopped when I got slim. I do it almost subconsciously.
You make a very valid point there :)

Back