• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I am going to take the plunge and join a gym

yorkshirelass74

but i am dreading it! I am going to ring tomorrow for the details but i have never seen 20stone people in gyms before.
I spoke with my team, and i asked her about skin, and she told me that if i do toning exercises, then that will be best thing i can do naturally to help me, it wont be a cure, but it may help.
I am praying people wont stare at my beetroot face and giggle at me puffing and panting!
Basically i am bricking it, but i need to take the plunge and get out of me comfort zone!

Go for Mona I really dont think people will look at you that way, I just think they will admire you for doing something about it.

Anyway if you do lots of muscle building and the do comment you can punch them in the face...... LOL:)

Have you asked your GP if s/he can give you an exercise referral ? If your PCT do this, you'll be able to go to special sessions.

Oh it's great being the fat bird in the gym, you'll love it... You know why? In three months time you'll have lost so much weight and be so toned all the skinny birds will be asking your advice and their will be other more curvier girls there because you have inspired them!!!

You go girl xx

Hi Mona,
I think you are doing the right thing...
Although I'm not the fittest I do try my very best and I am body conscious!

The toning tables have helped me to get going... plus the Wii fit... even though I have to hold onto something...

Have you thought of an aqua aerobics class for just ladies?

I do wish you all the luck in the world and wish I were near enough to go with you... feel the encouragement and go for it...

You are looking tremendous and the exercise will help with everything....

Loads of love Mona xxx

Good for you Mona!

It can be intimidating at first, people may look because they dont know you but before you know it, if its anything like my gym you will be chatting to and making gym buddy mates with people x

Maryanne, they also do a thorough assessment don't they, so it's a great opportunity to improve fitness... you are so right about the social side of things... if I didn't get to the toning tables when I can, I would have missed out on meeting some lovely people xxx

Me and himself did have a couple of walks this week and were astounded to work out we actually did 5 miles over 2 days (which is a lot for us folks who'd take a taxi to the kerbside to get in our cars). Unfortunately the base of my heel was in agony on the third day and this continued to today where it is only uncomfortable. It was like a knife going into the heel and my foot felt very hot when i took my weight off it, have had it before but not for ages, not sure what it is..... What i'm getting too is this, you don't necessarily have to fork out for a gym. You can use what you have at home. Use the first step of the stairs for a 'stepper', walk around your local block with a mate and have a good chat catching up on the gossip etc. Use tins as weights whilst watching tv (or doing ten minutes on your makeshift stepper).... A bit further down the line you may feel like the gym is more acceptable to you then :)

Maybe i will end up joining a gym again in the near future, who knows, if only to get me through the winter months.

Good luck with it hun xxxx

A great shame we are not all closer together Julie... we could have a ball supporting each other with exercise and swimming etc...
At least we can share some encouragement on here... which is so helpful...
Loads of love to you and yours, have a really great weekend. xxx

Go for it Mona I've seen 20 stone people in the gym and if they do look at you they'll probably be thinking good for her doing something to help herself. If there is any small minded people in there then in a few months time they will be thinking OMG look how well that lady has done. Good look hun them pounds will be coming off even quicker xxx

Maryanne, they also do a thorough assessment don't they, so it's a great opportunity to improve fitness... you are so right about the social side of things... if I didn't get to the toning tables when I can, I would have missed out on meeting some lovely people xxx

Yes Bev they do and your right its great way of meeting new people x

Me and himself did have a couple of walks this week and were astounded to work out we actually did 5 miles over 2 days (which is a lot for us folks who'd take a taxi to the kerbside to get in our cars). Unfortunately the base of my heel was in agony on the third day and this continued to today where it is only uncomfortable. It was like a knife going into the heel and my foot felt very hot when i took my weight off it, have had it before but not for ages, not sure what it is..... What i'm getting too is this, you don't necessarily have to fork out for a gym. You can use what you have at home. Use the first step of the stairs for a 'stepper', walk around your local block with a mate and have a good chat catching up on the gossip etc. Use tins as weights whilst watching tv (or doing ten minutes on your makeshift stepper).... A bit further down the line you may feel like the gym is more acceptable to you then :)

Maybe i will end up joining a gym again in the near future, who knows, if only to get me through the winter months.

Good luck with it hun xxxx

thanks for that jules, the thing is, if i pay for it i will go for it, i want to make the most of this and make a cracking start. If i am at home i will only find jobs to do, and it will just be something i will get round to when i can. I go back to work at the end of this month too, following my maternity leave, so i wanted to get cracking with the gym while i have a bit of time with the older kids at school, its going to be my meeeee time!
xxxx

i must have a strange face, cos the numerous times i have joined a gym and attended, nobody speaks to me, mind you, i would rather they didnt and just ignored me, rather than stare

I too intend to join a gym as soon as I can, so I say Go for it, Mona!

Like everyone has said, even if the skinny minnies giggle now, they won't be soon as they see the pounds melting off you and you looking so toned and gorgeous. And you'll be an inspiration to others!

Last time I went to a gym, there were quite a few bigger people.

Go for it Mona, i was 24 stone when i started at the gym, and although my skin is hanging badly in places its not as bad as i think it could have been.......I think its because of the gym.
Dont be frightened everyone is there for the same reason xxxx

Go for it Mona, im going to the Gym twice weekly as part of my "activity for life" programme, it was daunting at first and seemed full of Arnold Swarzeneger wannabes!! second time i went i looked closer as i wasnt gasping for breath as much lol and realised there were all shapes and sizes!! now i go only 3 weeks into the programme as thou ive been doing it for ages, i cant do as much as some people but just go in do your stuff and tell yourself your doing it for YOU!!

jayne xx

Mona, when I first went to the gym I was 18 stone and I was one of the bigger ones there but not the only one - there are slim girls there but after talking to them, they are too conscious of being skinny and wanting to build up muscle so we all have our body demons, I tried to choose a gym that had a good mix of fat, thin, old, young etc and not too posy. Its a great way of introducing exercise and trying different things and what works for you. I think most people when they look at you don't think "look at that fat bird/guy" but "well at least they are doing something about it" so the stares can mean different things. I stare myself sometimes (usually at the muscle ripping men!) but it's because your mind wanders when you are on the treadmill etc. I hope you love it like I do and look forward to having your time away from work, the chores, kids etc. I always treat myself to a jacuzzi and sauna after the gym and its a treat for me as well as exercise. When I first started I did some of the classes for older people which were the right pace for me when I was large. Good luck and don't be afraid, just remember everyone is there for the same reason - to get fit!

through my work place i can get free access to the local Gym once i pay for the induction sessions.
Now that i have lost 7 stone i know i need to get my butt in there and start doing more to push it along lol
hopefully when i get my bonus at work at the end of this month i will book my induction session in an try not to embarrass myself too much haha

luckily i have one of the women i work with who wants to go along with me a couple of evenings a week :)

Right just to keep you updated, i chickened out and didnt ring till last night. The woman i spoke to was lovely and i am going for my induction and signing up tomorrow, i cant wait to get stuck in now i have taken the plunge.
Then my friend came around today for a coffee and she said she will join later in the week, so i wont even have to go on my own, that was something i really wasnt looking forward to!

Back