• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I am still hungry

mrsklc3

I had my surgery on Nov.15,2010 Lapband...I am now on full liquid and soft food. Once I eat ten minutes later I am so hungry. I so afraid that I might eat to much and become sick. I drink plenty of water, I also afraid that the band is not working.My first appt. is on Tuesday. Am I doing something wrong..Please advise anyone

Hi Angela, no you're not doing anything wrong. Your band will be working its just the swelling from your op will have gone down so you won't have much restriction. This is where the fills come in. Usually between 6 and 8 weeks after your op you will have a fill to tighten your band. Untill this time you will have to really watch what you eat so you don't gain weight. Drink plenty and eat sensibly and you will be fine. Good luck with your appointment xx

Thanks, I'm was afraid my band not working. I ate 1/4 of a chicken breast to curve the hungry. Still my stomach is growling

You are doing absolutely nothing wrong apart from maybe eating too little..:)

A quarter of a chicken breast is a tiny amount of food, so don't panic, and it's a good healthy choice :)

Hunger once the initial swelling from the op goes down is normal. Just make sure you have three tea plate sized meals a day, no snacks and book a fill for a 3 weeks time.

Once you begin to get the restriction right it will be easier for you to eat less and feel more satisfied.

And remember is not weather or not the band works, it's you that makes it work :)

Hi Angela, If it is any help, I had my band fitted on the same day as you and I feel EXACTLY the same! I was feeling so hungry that I started on mashed food a few days earlier than I should have. My surgeon says that the first fill will take place one week into January so I have 5 weeks to go. I expect that things will improve in a couple of weeks when I progress onto more solid food. I am actively watching portion sizes because I really want to lose weight before my fill - just like being on another diet!!!
My surgeon says that I will be surprised at the amount I can eat by the end of the year :eek: I don't want to think of it like that ie how much can I stuff in!!! I am taking it stage by stage, eating within the portion guidelines and I am losing weight.
When you think of it a band with no fill is not giving much restriction and if you are still on sloppy food it will just go straight through.
I am having 4 meals a day of modest amounts of mashed foods. I also find that not drinking after for about an hour does help.
Good Luck! Leigh xx

normal hunger will resume when the swelling goes away, you can only start working with the band once fills begin, the 1st 6 weeks is the hardest as theres no restriction at all, its rare banders dont feel hungery, have you got a date for your 1st fill ?

Thanks to you all, my first fill date is Dec. 29...I am trying my best to control my portion. Plus trying to get all my fluids in, and enough protein. I want to lose weight before my first fill...so far I'm down 8lbs...

Back