• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I didn't know I had that !

Carolw

Hello, my name is Carol,

Has anyone else been shocked to find out things wrong with them during their journey to weight loss ?
Since starting with the Sunderland Royal team they have found out I have;
Under active thyroid
Deficiency in Vitamin D
Sleep Apnea
Hiatus hernia
Gallstones

I thought the symptoms I was experiencing were due to me being over 50.
My journey so far;
03/07/17 Referred by GP
09/08/17 Seminar at Sunderland Royal
24/08/17 Nurse, dietician & bloods taken
21/11/17 Started Tier 3
22/01/18 Discussed by Drs, now on Tier 4
31/01/18 Sleep Apnea Clinic
07/02/18 Consultant appointment, discussed preferred surgery.
20/03/18 Endoscopy
26/04/18 Ultrasound scan of gallbladder
12/06/18 Started milk diet for 10 days
22/06/18 Gallbladder removed
22/06/18 Now on waiting list to have a Mini Bypass
10/08/18 Will start milk diet For 10 days
20/08/18 Will be admitted to Sunderland Royal in the afternoon
21/08/18 Mini Bypass

Last edited:

Bling Babe

Hiya Carol and welcome, well done on coming this far, it’s like getting an MOT isn’t it, I have read on here things like this, in my case the hernia (the endoscopy was the worst experience of my life, I’d rather have a baby every year than have that lol) which Mr Jain (Luton and Dunstable) was going to repair at the same time (this is very common practice) but once in he said it was to small to worry about repairing? Do you have any idea of the timescale for your surgery at Sunderland Royal ? Xx

Carolw

Hi Bling, I have no idea when I will have surgery. One Dr said he wanted to remove my gallbladder first then once I had recovered from that I would have the bypass but another Dr said he could do it all at once. It is up to me to decide what I want to do. I am awaiting another appointment at the Royal to see what happens next.
I was really worried about the endoscopy but I would have another one tomorrow !
Were you not sedated ?
They sprayed my throat to numb it then sedated me and I did not feel a thing. What a relief cos I was scared stiff !!
My hernia is protruding 2cm into my chest cavity. I guess they will deal with that at the same time.
I guess I am on the waiting list, I will have to ask if they can give me a timescale.
Everyone seems to have different experiences regarding the length of time they have to wait.

Bling Babe

Yes each hospital trust is different but you’ll get there, I choose not to be sedated thinking I would be fine once it was down, but I felt every single wiggle up in my throat, it was the worst experience ever, if I ever had to have another one I would ,OST definitely be sedated xx

Maria61

Hello, my name is Carol,

Has anyone else been shocked to find out things wrong with them during their journey to weight loss ?
Since starting with the Sunderland Royal team they have found out I have;
Under active thyroid
Deficiency in Vitamin D
Sleep Apnea
Hiatus hernia
Gallstones

I thought the symptoms I was experiencing were due to me being over 50.
My journey so far;
03/07/17 Referred by GP
09/08/17 Seminar at Sunderland Royal
24/08/17 Nurse, dietician & bloods taken
21/11/17 Started Tier 3
22/01/18 Discussed by Drs, now on Tier 4
31/01/18 Sleep Apnea Clinic
07/02/18 Consultant appointment, discussed preferred surgery.
20/03/18 Endoscopy
26/04/18 Ultrasound scan of gallbladder
Hello and welcome xx