• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Kat's Bander weigh in and diary thread

I don't blame you for feeling frustrated, you've been so determined for longer than I can even imagine. I will keep everything crossed for this next fill.

(((hugs)))

Hi TK - I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. I can't really offer any help as I'm a bypasser and have had a really easy time since my op, but your posts have always inspired and encouraged me, so I just want to offer you some hugs and sympathy. You've done so well considering the lack of restriction and constant hunger you've had and I'm sure you'll get though this one too. Chin up - hope 13 is your lucky number xxxxx

Don't really know what to say Kat, except I'm sure many on here are thinking about you and wishing you well. You really have done so well and should feel very proud of what you have achieved. It is so frustrating when you stray in the slightest and get hammered by the scales, it simply feels unfair. However that is life for most of us and we have to accept that eating normally is for others.
Hopefully you are right about the fill that tipped you over and that it was due to inflammation and that another fill may give you dome restriction.

Hang in girl and know that you have everybody's support and good thoughts.

Oh TK, I feel so sad reading this, you are having a rubbish time of it at the moment, wish there was something I could to help.

For what it is worth, I think you could be right about the band. mine took a lot to settle after my last fill and it was nearly 6 weeks before I could eat at normal levels, made worse by the fact my weight just stalled.

You have come so far on your journey and you are in touching distance of your ultimate goals. I know the skin situation gets you down but for now it is a necessary evil for all the weight you have lost, you have made hugh achievements which would have benefitted your health. You will get your skin sorted at the right time and you will look even more amazing than you do right now. I am not trying to be flippant, I have the same problem and it's grim, BUT you know there is a bigger picture to focus on and thats where you need to look right now.

We are all here to listen even if we cannot offer any words of wisdom we do have understanding of how you feel.

I am glad you spoke to the clinic and they have sorted you an appointment which is sooner, that was a long wait. I hope beyond everything that you find your perfect fill where you will feel satisfied and lose weight, it is there.

MASSIVE HUGS

Hi Kay so sorry to hear your frustration. You are so strong and deserve all the success in the world! Fingers crossed for your next fill x x

Just wanted to offer my support and to say go gentle on yourself. You are an inspiration to others and this is just a small phase of a very long journey. You have done so well, amazingly well. It is natural to get down about things but really just give yourself a break. Rest on your laurels for a short while and be kind to yourself. Remember you wouldn't judge anyone else as harshly as you are judging yourself!

You have done so well and don't feel bad when things don't always go to plan , look back to where you were and where you are now the past few months I've been very down about being the same weight all the time but then I think of the alternative and think well it could be worse I could be 23st again :) chin up and keep on keeping on :)

Sent from my iPhone

Obviously as a bypasser I don't have the issue of fills but restriction and hunger are one of the things that wasn't eliminated for me. Have you considered trying slimming world? It seems mad but for me it has made all the difference. I can adapt the plan to fit bariatric eating patterns and eat to satisfy the hunger. Are you still really cutting carbs? I no longer do and I find my head is in a much better place. I do still do protein first and priorities it. My restriction has never been a few teaspoons so I have always battled this bigger capacity. I do understand how frustrating it must be to have done all the research, know everything about the band - even advise newbies - only to watch them get to restriction and goal weight before you. I totally get the loose skin - mine is still cosmetic but it ruins everything. Can only imagine how id feel if it was painful too.
Last but not least, as controversial as this will be, would you ever consider a conversion to sleeve?

If you think of the average 1-2lbs per week which tends to go hand in hand with the band, you have done absolutely fantastically in a short period of time with your weight loss tk ... could you maybe eat a bit more of the lower calorie bulk (veggies etc), and just slow down speed of the weight loss to try to get that feeling of satisfaction? :confused:

Thank you to each of you for your supportive posts - I've been avoiding this thread because I'm all over the place in terms of losing, of weighing but for some bizarre reason, gaining. And it's been a bit of a struggle in terms of how I'm feeling. But I appreciate your words, support and positive thinking :)

I've been following a WW plan but lost half a lb, then gained 2lb which I was gutted at as I'd followed it to the nose, I'd run 3 times, been to the gym 3 times and am walking a minimum of 5 miles a day.

As such, I was due for a fill on thursday and as I've mentioned elsewhere it appears I may have issues with a band leak. :(

I have known for a long time that something isn't right with my band, the sheer lack of restriction, the always feeling hunger and that never being taken away. Having seen my provider today for a fill, they have discovered that there are some issues with my band. (goes to explain my hunger, the fact a fill never changes my hunger or restriction)

Anyway, I should have had 11.6 mls in my band so she said if I could tolerate the needle being in place for a long time she was going to completely empty the band. She did and I had 8.2mls in it. 3.4mls short of what I should have in there. She said a possibility was that my fills had been recorded wrongly, but I know they haven’t as I’ve kept a record and check it off . But she said it appears that the band is leaking for there to be such a dramatic difference.

She asked me if I cant eat any foods, and whether I can eat bread or pasta. I explained I can eat all foods and in whatever quantity if I chose to. But that I don’t have problems with bread and could eat a baguette if I wished. She said at the level I had in my band, bread would be the first thing to have gone quite a long time ago. So, she gave me another diaphragmatic fill taking me up to 11.5mls so in theory 0.1ml less than what should have been in there, but in reality 3.4mls more than what was in there.

She was surprised however at how I didn't feel any difference in the fill, despite only having had 8.2mls in there and her taking me up to 11.5mls. She explained its quite possible that when it goes in, that its leaking quite badly. :(

I then have to go back in 3 weeks (so going Feb 13th) where she’s going to empty the band again and look to see what is in there. If it is less than what she has put in today, then I will need to have checks done under Xray, but the port and tubing will then need to be replaced via surgery.

While its crap, I’m relieved that she listened and that when I explained lack of restriction etc and never not feeling hungry, she said a leak would explain that. If it had moved I would be suffering pain behind breast bone, acid reflux, vomiting and not being able to eat, drink or tolerate a whole host of foods. So, it looks as if I’m leaking, and despite being on track with eating, portions, limiting cals etc, running 3 x week, gym and walking between 14,000 and 20,000 steps a day (between 7-10 miles!) I'm actually gaining! It's bizarre and something isn't right, but until this nurse came back from maternity leave nobody has actually listened to me properly!

I did weigh in last night and had stayed the same - my first ever staying the same LOL but I'm now back on liquids after the complete aspiration and refill yesterday, but its strange cos I've got 3.4 mls more in there than what I went in with yesterday morning and she was expecting me to feel a real difference even with drinking. I don't.

So, 3 week wait now. but back on my milk diet for liquids and to hope to boost the weight loss.

not good that you may have a leak :( but good that it explains why you've not had restriction and have had to work so hard :)

Just think what you'd be like if it gets sorted and works properly - you'll disappear in no time!

And the fact you're not losing - maybe the fact you're doing so much exercise is affecting your loss - are you taking measurements to see if you're changing shape?

Anyway, hope you're feeling better now, hopefully an answer in 3 weeks.

Look after yourself xx

awww hun so sorry to hear that but i guess it explains why your hungers never gone and stuff. One thing with the gaining due to the fact you are doing so much exercise now do you thin you could possibly be gaining muscle mass as opposed to losing fat? They do say muscle weighs more than fat maybe its your body adjusting to all those workouts and once it has it might start dropping at a regular speed again? x

Oh Kat how frustrating!!

But least now they are on the case, I know another operation isnt ideal but I hope this will lead to finally finding the restriction you need.

Big hugs and again I can't believe how well you have done without it xx

I've not updated here for ages. Still battling to sort out the leaking issues. Went back for the 3 week check to find 1.5mls missing, but they said 3 weeks wasn't long enough.

So doing a 6 week wait now when I will then go back and they will check the fluid all over again.

Still no restriction.

But lots of blood tests done by GP for H.Pylori and onward investigations as its possible I have a stomach ulcer which is resulting in the horrendous acid I am suffering from.

Downside is, that lots of foods don't agree with me. I struggle to eat fruits, veg and lots of things such as tomatoes, spicy foods are all no goes.

As such, the only things that I am ok with, are seriously heavy carb based. Biscuits, Bread, wraps, potatoes. All of the things that I've worked hard to avoid, I'm having to really limit myself with to try and continue to lose weight.

I put lots on at Christmas, but got that gone by January and a slow loss in February. But back on track.

But I need to celebrate.

This weeks weigh in has taken me over that barrier and down into the 12 stones. Which in turn has taken me over an 11 stone loss with my band. It's taken me ages to get out of the 13 stones. Mainly because I've gone up and down it, put on 11lbs somehow over Xmas and early january, despite running, sticking to food limits and gym and boxing. Bizarre, but hard.

Thankfully its gone, and I'm in the 12's and so REALLY chuffed.

I've also now lost a full 25 marks off my BMI.

I'm also now comfortably into size 12's and 14s. A long way from the 54.2 BMI, size 34/36 clothes and 24 stone.

Still got a way to go, but that's now under 2 stone too. I feel motivated by the fact I'm in the 12's and motivated that I've got less than 2 stone to go.

And I try not to feel cheated by the fact my band hasn't given restriction and that its potentially leaking, because despite all of that, its placement has helped me to get to a place where *I* make choices about what I eat, how I eat. I make healthy choices for me, my lifestyle and how I want to be. I've moved away from the guilt linked to food. If I want something, I have it, but I have it as part of my daily calories and content.

My gym went into receivership this week, so I've got to try and get my annual membership back via my credit card and then to find a new one.

I recently started boxfit which I love, (although my arms hurt like mad I can hardly type LOLOL) but I'm also looking at a 6 week intensive personal trainer led course to get me going and sorted. I need something apart from the running, apart from the gym, apart from the boxfit.

I'm giving myself until May to hopefully say goodbye to the 12 stones.

Still desperately trying to save to get surgery to get the awful awful skin gone. But I have a very poorly dog. INsurance is all used up and he had surgery last week which was £2000 and is heading into surgery on monday which we think is going to be about £3k. As such, bang goes the holiday savings but also the money I had saved for surgery thus far and as I've got to take a loan out to make up the difference, surgery will be going wayyyyyy down the list.

I will just have to live with it and find a way to kinda cope with the feelings that I have about it, with it and with me. But it is a set back but one that I will have to get around. Somehow.

Still.

Bye bye 11 stones :)

Well done Kat on being a MASSIVE 11 stone lighter! That is a great achievement , but with all your issues it is incredible! Sorry about your poor dog - we have an 18year old terrier reaching the end of her life, so sad. Hope they get your acid sorted - have they checked you for a hernia? I only ask, because I had acid reflux for years, and eventually it was found that I had h. pylori and a hiatus hernia. Lansaprazole took acid problem away immediately once h. pylori was treated. Best of luck xxxx

you have done so so so well and battled through everything thats been thrown at you a true inspiration i hope i can do half as well as you. Ive probably asked before but would the nhs not fund for the skin given how well youve done? x

Hi top kat

I am sorry to hear you are having a bit of a bad run. I am just starting out on my journey I am being banded on the 16th.

I look forward to reading your updates as you were a similar starting height/weight and your circumstances sound very close to home, you are very inspiring in your progress so far.

Stay strong you have overcome so much already :)

You have done amazingly. Well done hon. Have you spoken to hw and asked if they would offer a finance plan?

I've not been regularly weighing in as I'm all over the place with acid issues and eating issues . . .

but

So it was my follow up appointment from all my blood tests with regards to the acid issues Im having (and still having!)

Well, all my blood tests came back clear apart from my serum folate levels, she's not worried about them but said an increase of fruit and veg would help, but cos all of my other levels are ok she wouldn't recommend that I take vitamin tablets, but could if needed. With regards to the acid, she was surprised it hasn't gotten better, but after feeling stomach she doesn't think I have an ulcer, or that there's a gastric hernia.

She does however think that the acid has potentially burned the oesophagus and that because sickness is a regular thing, that the tablets (omeprazole) aren't working correctly as its not getting the chance to line the stomach.

So, she has doubled the dose, she has then given me antacid to take after eating, but has given me a tablet to take before eating as she wonders whether because of my band, my stomach has indeed become sluggish and its not make the food pass through the stomach into the intestine/bowels hence why it is then making me sick.

I did explain to her though that the food isn't stagnating in my stomach before being sick, that it can literally be eat, few minutes the stomach starts reacting and then I'm sick and this is the norm.

But, there is the chance that there is an issue with the band/placement etc so she has asked me to follow that up with HW. I'm due to see them on thursday anyway as it is my 6 week fluid check to see if it is leaking :(

She has said she will refer me for endoscopy/gastroscopy if needed as she doesn't feel I should have to pay private fees for that and that she will follow this up.

So, I'm thinking that this maybe the time to make HW give me my Xray check to make sure the band is in ok and there's no issues, as they will be doing an xray check for the leak anyway. So as I'm approaching the end of my 2 year post op care which is a real nightmare, I may as well use it so I can get sorted and if a new band is needed some fills before it runs out!

But, not really further forward, except to say that she is leaning towards it being a potential issue with the band, its placement or that the stomach reflux and acid (of which we aren't sure of the cause) has caused the oesophagus to narrow which could mean I may need oesophageal dilation.

But some of the symptoms point to potential oesophageal tumour/cancer so she doesn't want to leave it too long to then book the endoscopy. Oh the joys. :-| time to discuss all of this on thursday now with HW too and MAKE them listen!

Back