• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I eat too fast !

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Hi all

This is one thing that i struggle with, I eat too fast then get full too quick and get wind - anyone got any ideas how to help me beat this x

Take a mouthful, and chew, whilst your chewing, make sure you put your knife and fork down.

Also dont have anything on to distract you, like a TV or Computer, this will allow you to concentrate on your chewing.

Use chopsticks!lolJust put your cutlery down after every mouthfull,it all takes time.

It's a really hard learning curve isn't it. If I eat to quick it sticks and gets very uncomfortable. I try and be very conscious of what and how I eat to try and slow me down.

As mentioned above a very good tip not to let yourself be distracted or you will do what you are used to doing pre op. we don't get to eat much do savour what you do ;-) xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Are you eating too fast because you don't want the meal to go cold? If so, why not do the same as Mrs Quiggle and myself have done - buy a toddler's keep warm dish. (not that I've used mine yet - still on fluids for another 6 days)

Big an Bouncy said:
Use chopsticks!lolJust put your cutlery down after every mouthfull,it all takes time.

That would be so funny on the purée stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Good advice above. You basically have to learn and if you don't you get really bad pain and throw up! I find it's important not to go too long between meals/snacks as if I do I tend to eat too quickly.

I think I eat too quickly too, I try so hard to eat slowly but especially at work where I don't actually get a lunch break or any break in fact because I only work 4 hours but they are from 11am - 3pm so over lunch time. No one minds that I eat lunch but I do eat as I work most of the time and I do eat too quickly. I've eaten just 2 crackerbreads with a dollop of low fat humous and some low fat philly and I feel sick now. Mind you it could well have been the 2 green seedless grapes that acidently slipped into my mouth that have done it. I did chew and chew and chew them though honest. I am so naughty. :copon:

Small fork helps for me, although I still manage to eat too quickly sometimes. It's what comes of spending 40 years eating so quickly to make sure nobody nicks a chip!
It's all about retraining everything we do food wise, smaller portions, smaller mouthfuls, chewing everything properly and eating slowly.
It's a life change

I get that as well I think I was so used to eating like that and its just hard to get out of the habit. Hope u sort it hun xx

Is eating slowly something that I should start practicing now? I am pre-opper - my seminar was on 9Nov. Also, is it true that we can not drink while having a meal? And does the same rule apply to sleeve or bypass?

:xmastree::xmassign:

Hi Thereza, I think it would be a good idea to try eating more slowly pre op because it is one difficult habit to break and I don't realize I'm doing it until the food gets stuck and I get a very uncomfortable feeling. Not drinking half hour before food and half hour afterwards seems to be a must. Apparently it washes the food through too quickly and we don't absorb all the nutrients - and it is very important that we do absorb as much as we can. I am sure that the liquid rule does apply to sleeve and bypass because they both cause malabsorption - which is supposed to happen so that we don't digest all the calories ie fats.

Bex i eat as fast now as i did pre op, so there have been times i have suffered rabid dog syndrome for it. It's a learning curve for everyone, i'm just lucky cos i can do it and get away with it...

Back