• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I finally had the bypass done....in Belfast!

EmmaLouise81

Hi, I don't know if you guys remember me but I had a long, difficult struggle to have the gastric bypass.

I had appointment with Shaw Sommers and freaked out on plane and got off, had went to another company and they changed surgeon to one I did not want and I felt uneasy with them as they seemed unprofessional. Then I booked to go to Manchester and had a complete emotional breakdown 2weeks before so had to cancel. That was last year and things got very bad, I was so depressed it was scary.

Last November I heard Gravitas would be bring the surgery to Belfast, starting out with bands so I had to wait. 2 weeks ago I got the call to say in the 22 nd I could have the op in Belfast. Very hard 2 weeks, nervous wreck but I should not have worried as I was in the best hands. The surgeons were AMAZING as were the nurses. Got home this morning, shattered, little temper but relieved it is over with. I have been talking about this operation for 3 years and now I am post-op....pretty amazing really.

Just thought I would check-in and share my good news...just hope things stay so good, find taking the painkillers a little hard, never been in to dissolvable ones before but sipping away at water. Little weetabix in morning, few spoonfuls of yogurt for lunch and a little homemade soup for dinner.

For all those that feel they have no hope, you do....last October I thought my World was over and I would never be able to try and get healthy and get a real life and in a matter of months it changed. So very thankful at the moment!

Congrats hun! It's a great feeling being post-op isn't it!

Can't believe you're on Weetabix already! I guess different places ave different ways - I can have Weetabix from Monday as I'll then be 2 weeks out and looking forward to a bit of texture in my food. Been living on lowfat yoghurt for brekkie, half tin low fat custard for lunch and half tin soup for dinner!

Good luck with your journey, it's amazing seeing the results slowly but surely - I'm looking forward to my first wardrobe clearout next week as some things are already too big!

I wish I'd known that Emma Louise - I'm from Belfast and going to Belgium on 12th July. I'm glad it all went well for you. Xx

Oh thank you Karen, you are doing fab! I cant wait until the day I can buy clothes other than black....that is all my wardrobe is full off! Know I have a way to go but glad to finally be on the journey and not sitting wishing for it to start. Glad I have this forum a d lovely people like you to chat with if I hit any problems or just want to talk.

Great news well done. How weird my Doctor from Gravitas has been in Belfast this week... maybe coincidence but was it Mr Kerrigan?

Last edited:
Great news well done. How weird my Doctor from Gravitas has been in Belfast this week... maybe coincidence but was it Mr Kerrigan?

Yes Mandy, Mr Kennedy from N.Ireland was my surgeon but as it was first op here Mr Kerrigan was over to do it too. What a lovely man, met him at meeting in Nov and before op...when I was wheeled into theatre he was waving at me with a smile on his face and just settled me completly. I was very fortunate to have two brilliant surgeons.

I wish I'd known that Emma Louise - I'm from Belfast and going to Belgium on 12th July. I'm glad it all went well for you. Xx

I only heard about it through a press release, then went to a group talk in Nov...was so sad to hear they were only doing bands but they promised me they were working really hard to bring bypass to Belfast. They kept their word, informed me every stage of the way and I got lucky being the first patient.

I wish you all the best with your July op!

EmmaLouise, It's great to see you posting again and in such happy circumstances. I remember crying for you when you wrote about your fear of flying etc. It is a pleasure to move along the losers bench to create some space for you. Hope everything goes alright on the healing front.

Thats great EmmaLouise. I havent had the pleasure of meeting Mr Kerrigan yet but he is 1 of 3 surgeons that could do my bypass. I had my second appointment on Tuesday 21/6 and should have received a call the next day with my surgery date. However, I was told that the Surgical Director (Mr Kerrigan) was in Belfast and as he plans the schedule I would probably get my call on Monday (tomorrow). Ive only heard good things about him and although I'm sure his colleagues are more than capable, I do hope he does mine x

Wishing you all the best of luck and hope your recovery is speedy and pain free x

EmmaLouise, It's great to see you posting again and in such happy circumstances. I remember crying for you when you wrote about your fear of flying etc. It is a pleasure to move along the losers bench to create some space for you. Hope everything goes alright on the healing front.

Oh thank you so much! I still can't believe I am on the losers bench..feels surreal. Only pain I seem to have is from the staples / clips... One incision is right in a fold of fat (what a nice thought!) so every time I move it nips. Can't wait to get them removed on Wednesday but apart from that all good, fingers crossed!

brilliant!! hopefully more patients here in N Ireland will have opportunity for surgery now - I had to fly tobirmingham for mine

The best of luck with ur weightloss journey

Oh thank you so much! I still can't believe I am on the losers bench..feels surreal. Only pain I seem to have is from the staples / clips... One incision is right in a fold of fat (what a nice thought!) so every time I move it nips. Can't wait to get them removed on Wednesday but apart from that all good, fingers crossed!

:wave_cry:How's it going Emma?:)

Hi, I don't know if you guys remember me but I had a long, difficult struggle to have the gastric bypass.

I had appointment with Shaw Sommers and freaked out on plane and got off, had went to another company and they changed surgeon to one I did not want and I felt uneasy with them as they seemed unprofessional. Then I booked to go to Manchester and had a complete emotional breakdown 2weeks before so had to cancel. That was last year and things got very bad, I was so depressed it was scary.

Last November I heard Gravitas would be bring the surgery to Belfast, starting out with bands so I had to wait. 2 weeks ago I got the call to say in the 22 nd I could have the op in Belfast. Very hard 2 weeks, nervous wreck but I should not have worried as I was in the best hands. The surgeons were AMAZING as were the nurses. Got home this morning, shattered, little temper but relieved it is over with. I have been talking about this operation for 3 years and now I am post-op....pretty amazing really.

Just thought I would check-in and share my good news...just hope things stay so good, find taking the painkillers a little hard, never been in to dissolvable ones before but sipping away at water. Little weetabix in morning, few spoonfuls of yogurt for lunch and a little homemade soup for dinner.

For all those that feel they have no hope, you do....last October I thought my World was over and I would never be able to try and get healthy and get a real life and in a matter of months it changed. So very thankful at the moment!
hi emma
i too live in n ireland, i would love to know, which hospital you had surgery in? and how you found everything with gravitas, glad you have got your surgery after such a traumatic time, hope its all you hoped for

Back