• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I had bypass on Saturday, what to expect?

Lynsey83

I haven't been feeling like I want to eat at all and my fluid in take is really low since coming home. Am I expecting to much of myself or is this normal. I also keep getting this strange almost hiccup feeling but just in my stomach.

Hi Hun. I had a bypass 2 weeks tomm. It's sooo weird you say about that hiccup coz I got it and couldn't explain it to anyone. It's a lill uncomfortable isn't it?? I still get it now 2 weeks out. Yes it's sooo normal I was like you weren't thirsty nor hungry it picks up trust me..lol

Maz xx

Thank you it's just people keep saying you must eat 6 times a day at the moment that seems impossible x

I just ate what I could. It will come your still really early pre op. after about a week I could see a difference. I'm now Always thirsty and sooo want to gulp a drink, sips are driving me Barmy. I move to purée tomm, I can't wait!! Good luck Hun. X

I'm on purée now, it's funny how different places do it differently. Thank you it's nice to hear its normal x

We have the same consultant, so I'm on the same regime as you. Had my op 2 weeks ago. I also got that weird hiccup - I interpreted it as some kin of muscle contraction. but I think its trapped air. I haven't had now for about 3 days, but I dont know if it is gone for good or not. First 3 days out of hospital were pretty grim, I found getting in more than a litre of liquid really hard. But hot drinks were so much easier to get down, and now manage 2-2.5 litres a day. Also food got better after about 6-7 days, and now I'm eating pureed meat and fish (even beef) no problem. Your pouch will be still quite swollen, so it will only get better as you heal.

Thank you it is starting to feel a bit better now, I'm still forcing myself to eat but I'm getting there x

wishing you a speedy recovery. i am 2 weeks post op and could not face eating for the first week. how long are you on puree for?
Hi just wondering if u can help me , I am signing consent form in 26th with dr gopinath could u give me an insight to how long my op will be after that please :)

i love reading stuff like this, my ops on the 15th, so its good to hear all these small details. is the hiccup feeling really painful?

I still get the gurgling through the pipes/hic up feeling and I am 9 moths post op!! It doesn't hurt its quite loud though and other people can here it sometimes!!!

Ooo lovely to see some more of Mr Slater's patients in these threads. The hiccup type feeling is normal. I still get it occasionally. The funny thing is when I drink too much at one time and I'm over full I sneeze, it's like a signal to tell you to be careful not to have any more. The sipping in the beginning is tough but you will be able to take a few good gulps again, after a few months you will drink much more and now 9 and half months later I can drink almost completely normally. Don't force your self to eat any more than you can manage, it will just come back up again and in time you will find you can eat more and more. Best of luck, you ladies will do great :) x

18 months out and my insides still gurgle really loudly, its amazing how the body works and can make so many different noises. xx

i love reading stuff like this, my ops on the 15th, so its good to hear all these small details. is the hiccup feeling really painful?

The hiccups don't hurt they just feel unpleasant, they have eased off a bit now that I can burp again lol.

lol you dont think about the weird afects on all your plumbing when you go for the op. lol as long as its not painful thats ok. is it like your stomache rumbling?

It's like a stuck hiccup your stomach makes all the motion without the noise, mine have pretty much gone now x

Hi im 6!days post op and I had the hiccups too!! Just for 2 days tho, more of a discomfort than a pain id say. I'm very happy with myself so far, managing well on puréed food, I do worry tho that I'm not getting enough protein. Have had no trouble with anything yet........ But it's early days I suppose. I do struggle with the sipping fluids .... Desperate to take a big gulp but boy would I pay for it haha all well worth it I'd say x

Yeah im a week post op now and I have the hiccups too....
For a few days now I feel as if I have the sensation that something is stuck in my throat, driving me loopy...anyone else had it?
x

Back