• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I need your help please!!!!

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all

I know most of you won't know me as I've not been around much but I really need any help I can get at the moment .....

For the past couple of months I really seem to be struggling with my weight loss and seem to want to "pick" a lot more. I go on holiday on the 20th April and would like to kick start my weight loss again if possible.

What is the best way to go about it? Should I do the 5 day pouch test and hopefully that will kick my bad habits? Also protein shakes ..... I've never had them and I've never been a lover of milkshakes or shake drinks so not sure they would help??

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am going to try and get on here a lot more again as maybe it's the support I'm needing at the moment.

Thanks all and I hope your all well.

Nic xxxx

Hi Nic I would suggest the 5 day test...you have nothing to loose and its only 5 days.....glad you will be around more hun....xx

hi nic i agree i think the 5 day pouch diet would be good..but also what about increasing your exercise (says she who struggles)....good luck xx

Nic,

The 5dpt is a great starting point, so long as you are motivated to work with it and stick with it.

Long term, you need to be looking at your general intake. I'd recommend using a site like Food Focus - Permanent Weight Loss for a few days to log everything that you eat and drink for a few days. That will then tell you your protein/carb/fat levels etc. You should be aiming for about 80g of protein, 20-30g max of complex carbs, and 20-30g max of fat intake per day.

You should be avoiding refined carbs, such as white bread, plain pasta, white rice etc, and instead have complex carbs such as wholemeal bread (not brown), wholemeal pasta and brown/wild rice.

Aim for a good mix of protein, so as well as lean meats and fish, look at things like peas, beans and lentils, protein rich veggies such as brocolli and cauliflower, and things like falafel and quorn products too.

When you are putting main meals together, aim for a 2:1:1 ratio of Protein:carbs:veg/salad so half your plate should be protein, a quarter carbs, and a quarter veg/salad. For your other meals aim for just protein and veg/salad.

Try not to have carb snacks like crisps/crackers/toast etc. If you want to snack have fresh fruit or nuts/seeds, or protein snacks such as a babybel light, or a slice of cold meats.

If you can't get your 80g of protein in through your meals, consider a protein shake. If you try them, look for minimal carbs (2g per serving or less), a lot of the ready to drink and powedered ones are 20g+ carbs per serving.

Finally, fluids. No drinking for 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating. Aim for atleast 2 litres of fluids per day, not including tea/coffee. Remember that tea and coffee contain carbs also.

Thats about it I think. The 5dpt can help get you back in to all these habits, and as day 5 is the same as day 6, 7, 29, 345 etc it can be a whole new way of eating, not just 5 days.

HTH,

shel

Thanks hun I know I can do it especially after the pre-op diet we had to do lol xxx

hi nic i agree i think the 5 day pouch diet would be good..but also what about increasing your exercise (says she who struggles)....good luck xx

Hi hun
Yes I want to get back into the gym, I do loads of walking with my pup but think I need to get back into the gym as well xxx

Nic,

The 5dpt is a great starting point, so long as you are motivated to work with it and stick with it.

Long term, you need to be looking at your general intake. I'd recommend using a site like Food Focus - Permanent Weight Loss for a few days to log everything that you eat and drink for a few days. That will then tell you your protein/carb/fat levels etc. You should be aiming for about 80g of protein, 20-30g max of complex carbs, and 20-30g max of fat intake per day.

You should be avoiding refined carbs, such as white bread, plain pasta, white rice etc, and instead have complex carbs such as wholemeal bread (not brown), wholemeal pasta and brown/wild rice.

Aim for a good mix of protein, so as well as lean meats and fish, look at things like peas, beans and lentils, protein rich veggies such as brocolli and cauliflower, and things like falafel and quorn products too.

When you are putting main meals together, aim for a 2:1:1 ratio of Protein:carbs:veg/salad so half your plate should be protein, a quarter carbs, and a quarter veg/salad. For your other meals aim for just protein and veg/salad.

Try not to have carb snacks like crisps/crackers/toast etc. If you want to snack have fresh fruit or nuts/seeds, or protein snacks such as a babybel light, or a slice of cold meats.

If you can't get your 80g of protein in through your meals, consider a protein shake. If you try them, look for minimal carbs (2g per serving or less), a lot of the ready to drink and powedered ones are 20g+ carbs per serving.

Finally, fluids. No drinking for 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating. Aim for atleast 2 litres of fluids per day, not including tea/coffee. Remember that tea and coffee contain carbs also.

Thats about it I think. The 5dpt can help get you back in to all these habits, and as day 5 is the same as day 6, 7, 29, 345 etc it can be a whole new way of eating, not just 5 days.

HTH,

shel

Great thanks Shell, I do have the wholemeal bread but I don't have a lot of bread really, I do have fruit but thanks for the link for the food diary that should help a lot.

Oooh and I love Babybel lights.

Will deffo go for the 5dpt and stick to it especially the fluids part, I'm a monkey for drinking with or just before a meal.

Getting that kick up the but I needed.

Cheers
Nic:thankyou:

good luck with kickstarting your losses again Nic. The 5 day pouch test has worked well for Shel and I think it was thialiana that also tried it and did well.

Also the light nights may motivate you to take that pooch of yours for longer walks.

Let us know how you get on hun.

Janey, nice to see you posting. Get yourself over to the walsall thread and let us know how you are getting on xx

Thanks Sam, I will let you all know, just gonna check at the hospital it's ok for me to do as my blood tests came back and my glucose levels were very low so will check first.

xx

good luck with kickstarting your losses again Nic. The 5 day pouch test has worked well for Shel and I think it was thialiana that also tried it and did well.

Also the light nights may motivate you to take that pooch of yours for longer walks.

Let us know how you get on hun.

Janey, nice to see you posting. Get yourself over to the walsall thread and let us know how you are getting on xx

Sam I mis read the word pooch for pouch!! Thought it was a new form of exercise lol..xx

Thanks Sam, I will let you all know, just gonna check at the hospital it's ok for me to do as my blood tests came back and my glucose levels were very low so will check first.

xx

Nic if you want someone to do it with you I will give it a go we can share the experience lol..xx

LOL thanks Linda although I don't want you shouting at me if it's really hard work xxx

lol Linda

Nic, how much do you need to lose to get your BMI below 30? Just a thought as I know sometimes the amount of weight we have to lose can seem so daunting and as if we are never going to get there. If you were to aim for BMI 30 it might seem a bit more achievable and motivate you a bit more. Not saying you have to stop when you get to 30, but if its within reach you may be willing to work a little harder to get there.

Am I making sense lol

Nic, how much do you need to lose to get your BMI below 30? Just a thought as I know sometimes the amount of weight we have to lose can seem so daunting and as if we are never going to get there. If you were to aim for BMI 30 it might seem a bit more achievable and motivate you a bit more. Not saying you have to stop when you get to 30, but if its within reach you may be willing to work a little harder to get there.

Am I making sense lol

Hiya Sam

You sure are making sense, I've broke it down a bit, not sure about under 30 but next aim is to get to under 100kg.

xx

DOH!

How stupid am I? (please dont answer that lol) Thats obviously what your 2nd ticker is for.

So do you think you are going to give the 5 day pouch test a go?

LOL you made me laugh then, didn't want to point out my mini goals on the signature lol.

Yeah I am deffo going to give it a go, want to get my bad habits sorted before I go on holiday and to feel a bit better again. Going draw up a plan for getting to the gym too in between my Alfie walking xx

Back