• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I made him fat now i need your help!

phatmomma

Since i got with my OH just over 12 months ago he has put on a good 2 stone easily... He hates the extra weight (he's up to 17 1/2 stone now) as its all on his tummy.

On another thread someone put a calculation on for how many calories a day you should eat (i think that was for maintaining) and i'm hoping someone can do the same again so we can work out how many he should be having now.

All help would be appreciated xx

Well he does a bit of housework and a lot of facebook... He's the househubby, no longer rides his bike and is chauffeur driven most the time......

I would say he's sedentary....

But is that to maintain or is that to lose?

What is his ideal weight? That is what he should aiming to achieve for good weight loss. Maintenance level (BMR) for his current weight with a sedentary lifestyle is approx 3500 calories, so anything over that and he will gain weight .... 1lb a month for every 100 cals per day more than the body needs.

Julie, check out foodfocus.co.uk Its free and if you put in his starting weight, his activity levels and how much he wants to lose per week it will work out his calorie allowance for him.

Jules - drop him down to 2-2500 a day and see how he gets on, you could put him on 2000 but i suspect he wont like or be able to maintain that amount. Calorie counting is difficult at the best of times so at best its a guestimate really, but try and reduce his cals in and try and increase his exercise as that will help.
The same rules apply to a non bypassers as they do to us, i.e high protein low carbs etc, lots of water and cut down the sugar, salt, booze and fats from his diet. I'd also suggest slowly cutting his portion size down to, you can trick him by reducing plate size or giving him one less potatoe etc, or bulk up his plate with low cal stuff like veg extra veg or salad.
I'd also suggest getting him out of the sofa and to do some exercise, an hours walking a day is all it takes to get things moving, send him shopping or out for things, get him an ipod and down load audio stories to it, you'll be supprised how easy basic exercise is when your not actually thinking about it !

I've got some literature and body mass calculators applicable to none WLS paitents i can send you if you ping me your email address i'd be happy to pass on.

2500 will help him to lose weight then when he hits a platue drop down to 2000. xxx

Sorry this is absolutely the wrong advice - decreasing calorie intake when you plateau is absolutely the wrong thing to do, you plateau becuase your body is not getting enough calories and therefore stops burning body fat to protect itself ! reducing calories further wont make you start burning fat again.
When you plateau you need to increase calorie intake, this tricks the body into thinking its being fed again and therefore will re start the fat burning process, increasing protein intake, adding exercise and more fluids all help to trick the body, but essentially the trick to beating plateaus is increasing cals in.

Jules - drop him down to 2-2500 a day and see how he gets on, you could put him on 2000 but i suspect he wont like or be able to maintain that amount. Calorie counting is difficult at the best of times so at best its a guestimate really, but try and reduce his cals in and try and increase his exercise as that will help.

I agree, I think 2000 would be far too low. The BMR for a 15 stone man is approx 2500cals before adding on anything for activity/exercise.... even doing gentle exercise every day can raise that to almost 3000. The key is exercise, even if it's just a 20 min walk or even walking up and down stairs several times a day ;)

Sorry this is absolutely the wrong advice - decreasing calorie intake when you plateau is absolutely the wrong thing to do, you plateau becuase your body is not getting enough calories and therefore stops burning body fat to protect itself ! reducing calories further wont make you start burning fat again.
When you plateau you need to increase calorie intake, this tricks the body into thinking its being fed again and therefore will re start the fat burning process, increasing protein intake, adding exercise and more fluids all help to trick the body, but essentially the trick to beating plateaus is increasing cals in.

OMG your wonderful. I have plateaud the last 3 weeks and thought how on earth can I be eating too much when I had a bypass 3 months ago and can barely manage anything.

I am gonna try upping my protein intake and fluids see what happens x xmwah ;)

OMG your wonderful. I have plateaud the last 3 weeks and thought how on earth can I be eating too much when I had a bypass 3 months ago and can barely manage anything.

I am gonna try upping my protein intake and fluids see what happens x xmwah ;)

Lol I know Twig ;)

Yep up your cals in for a week, go high protein low carb, cut out all the naughties between meals and ensure you eat to full restriction each meal - has always worked for me and anyone else i've ever advised.
Increasing or changing your exercise and drinking more water also help trick the body and drinking more water helps flush the bad stuff out quicker.

What you need to do is find out his basal metabolic rate. That is a daily calorie figure that depends on his age, weight and height. Added to that is an extra percentage of that calorie figure, known as the Harris Benedict formula. That would mean 20% if he has a very sedentary lifestyle, 30% extra if he has a moderate exercise lifestyle or another 40% if he has a very active lifestyle. People band about figures such as 2000 calories etc., but bariatric surgery dieticians use the above formula to calculate weight loss.

In my humble opinion it would be a complete change of lifestyle at home to help him. I always think it is easier if someone else does the cooking which is why husbands usually do well as they don't seem to be in the kitchen so much. Oh dear, I wait for the backlash saying that is a sexist comment.

Also for every 500 calories per day he goes under his BMR plus HB formula he will lose one pound a week, as it takes 3500 calories (500 per day x 7 days equals 3500) to lose a pound. 1000 calories a day under his required calorie allowance would make him lose 2lbs a week, and it is unwise to go under that calorie allowance as 2lb a week is the maximum someone should lose. It still equates to seven stone a year which is not to be sniffed at.

What you need to do is find out his basal metabolic rate. That is a daily calorie figure that depends on his age, weight and height. Added to that is an extra percentage of that calorie figure, known as the Harris Benedict formula. That would mean 20% if he has a very sedentary lifestyle, 30% extra if he has a moderate exercise lifestyle or another 40% if he has a very active lifestyle. People band about figures such as 2000 calories etc., but bariatric surgery dieticians use the above formula to calculate weight loss.

In my humble opinion it would be a complete change of lifestyle at home to help him. I always think it is easier if someone else does the cooking which is why husbands usually do well as they don't seem to be in the kitchen so much. Oh dear, I wait for the backlash saying that is a sexist comment.

Also for every 500 calories per day he goes under his BMR plus HB formula he will lose one pound a week, as it takes 3500 calories (500 per day x 7 days equals 3500) to lose a pound. 1000 calories a day under his required calorie allowance would make him lose 2lbs a week, and it is unwise to go under that calorie allowance as 2lb a week is the maximum someone should lose. It still equates to seven stone a year which is not to be sniffed at.

Oh my god thats so sexist lol ;)

Yep agree with you, i use the Harris bendict calculator ( and have a copy of if any one want it) and it does work very well, though you need to know your body fat percentage for it to work well and it will allow a calculation with resting basal metabolic rate ( the amount of calories you burn doing absolutely nothing)

Personally i think in this case this is all a little bit scientific for this approach, cut down his calories a bit and give him healthier choices and make him do a little exercise and he should start dropping lbs

I work in a hospital and for several days borrowed a bodymedia armband which I had to wear 24/7 and it calculated my own personal typical activity level, which at the time several months ago meant I was using up 2800 calories a day. It was quite interesting to see the software downloaded from the microchip in the armband after those days, and it showed how many calories I was using, during work, days off, sleeping etc, and I was surprised how many steps I took as I thought I was very inactive. I think people would be interested if they were able to borrow this armband, which is very enlightening as to a person's own activity level. But I agree with the above poster. It can all get so technical and can do your head in with figures, counting calories etc. Basically a healthy diet, well-balanced, with healthy snacks and plenty of water should do the trick. It is not as if the OP's other half is dangerously obese. Slow and sure wins the race.

It was using this formula and calculations I based my figures on above ;)

Brilliant advice, Silversurfer i bow before your superior knowledge and thank you all from the heart!

The plan is to:

Cut his carbs
Up his fluids (might have to be tea, never seen my Trev drink water)
Get him exercising

As for the poster who said about the cooking, Trev does the cooking i go to work, thats how it goes in our house! He can manage a healthy roast n veg....

Thanks again all xxx

Brilliant advice, Silversurfer i bow before your superior knowledge and thank you all from the heart!

The plan is to:

Cut his carbs
Up his fluids (might have to be tea, never seen my Trev drink water)
Get him exercising

As for the poster who said about the cooking, Trev does the cooking i go to work, thats how it goes in our house! He can manage a healthy roast n veg....

Thanks again all xxx

Hear hear - good old Trev, nowt wrong with being able to cook - the best chefs are all men ! ;)

Dont know about superior knowledge, i'm no expert if i were i wouldn't have got fat in the first place lol :D

Back