• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I think I 'Dumped' at the cinema!

triedeverything

Took my kids to see Despicable Me 2 today and my youngest got a box of Pick n Mix.. absolutely lethal of course, I sat and helped myself to chocolate peanut & raisons.. they went down ok, didn't seem to fill me up particularly... but what a huge mistake.

About 25 minutes into the movie, I started to feel really bad, got very hot, took off my jacket, started to sweat and feel like I was going to pass out.. it was so bad that after another 10 minutes my husband had to take me out to the foyer where we sat down and I literally fell asleep leaning against him (or passed out!). I have not experienced this before and I never want to again. Thank god my husband was with me and my kids were old enough to stay in the movie without me. By the time they came out I felt a little better but it's taken me about 5 hours to feel normal again. I assume this is dumping??

it sounds like it, i had all the same things when i have 1/4 of a ice cream the other day had to go to sleep felt so weak and sick, glad your feeling better now

Just feel a bit stupid to be honest, not sure what I was thinking.. I suppose I hoped that dumping wouldn't happen to me (as I'm a sleever not a bypass) but looks like it will. My dietician said anything where you have too much fat or sugar, your new sleeve cannot process it and you will feel ill.

In a funny way, I'm quite pleased (I think!) as I just have to listen to my body now and not fall back into old habits as I will pay the price, and a horrible one it is too!

Yep sounds like it. If you were drinking too it makes it worse as it flushes it through.

Omg - poor u :(

Certainly sounds like you have dumped, Pleased you are feeling better x

When I was newly post op, I drank a full sugar cappuccino thinking it was sugar free. I got very hot, breathing was fast and panicky, and I also felt like I was going to pass out. Now, that has not happened ever again once I got further post op. Most sleevers don't dump but a few do. There is a study out that a small percentage of partial gastrectomy patients experience dumping and it is kind of the same as a sleeve. A partial gastrectomy is the removal of part of the stomach just like the sleeve. SO yes, it can happen after a gastric sleeve, it's just rarer. Maybe it is a reaction that won't last like it did for me. I can eat a small amount of ice cream or dark chocolate just fine without reactions now. It's been over a year since my op. I still have major restriction! I can't eat more than I could at 5 or 6 months post op!

Back